Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Vi Ngo, 3D Environmental Artist

Hello PolyCount!

My name's Vi Ngo. I just graduated from the Art Institute of Los Angeles and am looking for work very soon. I've been watching this forum for a while and this is my first post. I'd like to have professionals opinions. So critique and comments are always welcome. :)

www.ngo3d.com

Replies

• ES_139
    you have some decent work on your site it looks good. The only thing i would say letting it down is the presentation of your work 'complex wire things' probably isnt a good name for a scene. I think if you presented it a bit better it could be a really nice site.
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    Dude, love the site. But some of your work is kinda lacking. I dont see much really eye popping. Try making a very ambitious scene wth more things going on. A scene that tells a story.
    Dont get me wrong, ur work is good... but there is still room for improvement.
  • Raggdoll
    Vin!... hey I go to the Art institute of California San Diego.. we heard about you guys. Congrats on taking 1st on Legion.:thumbup:

A couple of peeps from school and I are working on our very own independent project on UDK.

Please check our thread.. we would love some tips as we move along.

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=68927
  • 3DLee
    I agree with roosterMAP. The art is technically awesome, but some of it seems to "lack heart". It needs to tell a story or look like it has some background rather than just being beauty renders of your work.

I really love that first scene though, I think it's your best work. The only thing that stands out to me is that some of the graffiti decals are way too bright.

Great work on your site as well, it's very easy and quick to navigate, and the detailed breakdowns are a lot of fun to dig through. :)
  • Cojax
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Hey buddy. Your site is easy to use and images are easy to view, which is great. However as previously stated in this thread, you have nothing that is standing out. Its clear you have the technical know how, but you need to challenge your self and get out of your comfort zone. Many of your scene renders are very busy with boring lighting and materials. I would get rid of those wire renders as most of your geo is very un-optimized. Personally I would like to see high poly work, like nice props or vehicles. Basically the viewer (aka employer) should be blow'n away in the first 10 seconds.

With hiring at an all time low, and layoffs at an all time high. You are competing against people who have experience and work from shipped titles. You need to make sure your work is amazing, plain and simple. Best of luck!
  • Canadian Ink
    Offline / Send Message
    Canadian Ink polycounter lvl 12
    I think you work is really good, it shows alot of technical skills the ability to work on a larger scale. I would take people criticisms here with a grain of salt.
  • DrunkShaman
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    roosterMAP wrote: »
    Dude, love the site. But some of your work is kinda lacking. I dont see much really eye popping. Try making a very ambitious scene wth more things going on. A scene that tells a story.
    Dont get me wrong, ur work is good... but there is still room for improvement.

!! Try creating a scene with bloody footsteps and a person's statue standing right beside it...crying. That should pop the eyes out.

ok Jokes aside.

Your work was great. You need to improvise, Read fantasy / si-fi novels that explain the maps and so on.

I read and imagine my work, than put it down on a piece of paper and spend sometime over it. For example: if I draw a room on a piece of paper, I redraw it, over and over again until I am satisfied with it. (same goes for the character)

Good luck with it.
  • Ngo3D
    Very much appreciated for the honest critiques, guys. I'm sure with Polycounts help, I can become a better artist. I'll be sure to post my upcoming new projects on here to see what needs improving. :)

@ Raggdoll - ZacD mentioned everything that AI's Game Wizard has done in order to achieve a great working game. Just make sure your art style are cohesive and make sure every artist on your team is on the same level as you. That means train them early, everything you know and nothign will slow down your production time. We basically did quarter 1 of preproduction, quarter 2 production, and quarter 3 post production. But only for Legion, we had only 1 quarter to do everything.
  • wasabi
    Hey, Vi..
    It's Paik from the Millagun days..... Man..... I missed those days...
    Congratulation on your graduation..
    I am in Demo 3 so pretty soon I will be with you hunting for a job...
    I like your portfolio and I know your skill level...
    My only critique is that I would like to see more of your solo work.
    Good luck man and come and see us at school if you feel lonely.. haha..