Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Hand Painted Church

DnS
My hand-painted texture skills are something I'm trying to focus on. Jfletcher (http://www.artpanda.co.uk/) was kind enough to let me use his church concept to bone up on my skills. I'll be keeping track of my progress in this thread, which will hopefully encourage me to take this to completion sooner.

Here is my color version of his concept:

church_colorconcept.jpg

And here is my block out so far:

church_wip1.jpg

Moving forward I'd love feedback on proportions and the hand painted textures I'm working on as I put them up. This is all about development and having a decent hand painted piece for my portfolio. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Replies

• Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great so far. I like that concept image, should be fun for you to match. Model looks good so far, keep working!
  • SinisterUrge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far, so good
  • sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey DnS, the model looks great. I'm also working on some hand painted textures, so i'll be following this thread very closely. I've made a paint over of your render, highlighting some areas that could be changed. If something doesn't make sense, be sure to let me know and i'll explain it in more detail. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing any updates...

churchwip1changes.jpg
  • DnS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DnS
    Progg/SinisterUrge: Thanks for the replies/encouragement

sketch81: Thanks for the paintover. Some of the funkiness is just not having everything mirrored yet. The width proportions I'll definitely get cleaned up.

In the mean time, here is a quick WIP of the stone texture I'm working on for the church walls.

church_stone_WIP.jpg
  • DnS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DnS
    Here is another WIP shot.

church_wip2.jpg

I have most of my UVs taken care of and my textures blocked in (very WIP textures). I reworked the proportions, and I'm getting close to happy with them. Probably small geometry tweaks from here on out (making things have a bit better weight, some variation in silhouette etc.).

On to some aggressive hand-painting!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Those are some huge bricks your church is constructed from.
  • DnS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DnS
    Trying to stay true to concept. And I'd say they're more like concrete/marble blocks than bricks.
  • sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice improvements to the proportions, it's looking a lot like the concept.
    Inregards to the stone looking a little large, I'd have to agree with Jackablade. I've made a paint over, outlining the scale of the stone between the two images. On the side of the building, your model has 5 1/4 stones compared to 6 1/4(concept). In order to match the concept, I think you may need to scale the stone down and shift the texture down. I hope that helps and look forward to seeing how this turns out.

stonewall.jpg
  • DnS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DnS
    sketch81: Thanks for more help on the brick count. I'll tweak that on my next round of model tweaks. Now that I look at it, my roof tile count is off as well. Once I get all of my textures completed I'll take another pass over the building and see what stands out to me as far as problems where texture matching concept proportions is a problem.

I would love some feedback on the painted textures. I'm having some problems really getting the stones to feel three dimensional, so any suggestions in that regard would be awesome.

Also, if anyone has some good suggestions for rendering/lighting that really helps makes hand painted textures pop, I'd be interested in any suggestions for that as well. Thanks for the help.

Here is another WIP shot:

church_wip3.jpg
  • MrMachete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try a 3-point lighting setup with a yellowish key, blueish fill, and soft white back light

you could also try turning off texture filtering so it doesn't blur the hand painted details
  • DnS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DnS
    MrMachete: Thanks for the suggestions on the lighting and texture filtering. You were right, the AA was killing some of the hand-painted texture quality.

Here is another WIP shot with updated textures:

church_wip4.jpg
  • d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    This is looking really nice.

A few things though, in the concept, some of the shingles on the roof are a bit beat up and slightly crooked. A lot of your textures are being tiled, which is fine, however when you add unique things like cracks it becomes very obvious, I would try and break up the tiling on the bricks and roof to make the walls a bit more interesting.

Other than that, I am excited to see this finished.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Nice work really!!
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    with all due respect sketch, with a totally fictitious concept drawing, i doubt the original concept artist would have even taken note of the brick count... I mean, if that's how pedantically you would interpret a sketch, you'll probably feel utterly lost when he comes to modelling the side of the building which isn't depicted... As well as this the stated purpouse is for him to brush up on his hand painting skills.

I mean I won't claim to be a spokesperson for DnS but I think fussing over details in the model might actually be counterproductive when he's already stated that his intention is to focus on the painting aspect of it.

Now to put my money where my mouth is, i'll say the textures are looking good, and assuming you're going for "that sort-of-WOW look" you've succeeded...
    One thing i'd suggest is giving yourself some kind of corner-caps on the corners of the structure. Given you've tiled your texture you'll probably need to add meshes or cut the existing geom. It'd just give you some more room to kind of highlight the major lines of the structure by doing some sort of rounded or more worn corner bricks.

Could you give an example of what you want the end product to be? like, in what kind of environment, what kind of tech limitations... etc
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    think your shingles could use some highlights and shadows to help them pop in more depth. They look sorta flat.
  • Wayfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good..
    Maybe the roof tiles could have more reandom imperfections, like in the concept.. now they look a bit too squared.
  • DnS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DnS
    d2king10, Wayfa, oobersli: Great suggestions on the roof shingles. I see what I can do to break them up and match the concept closer.

Nitewalkr: thanks!

Harry: Thanks for fighting the battle for me. I wasn't going to pick a fight with someone who was giving me feedback though. =]

I am going for the "sort of wow" hand painted style, trying to keep things painterly, no photo sourced texture overlays, etc. I didn't have any real limits in mind in terms of poly count or texture size or number of textures when I started out. Just a piece that showed off the hand painted textures and wasn't overboard on the complexity. Kind of like the piece szark made that you see in the banner sometimes (the warhammer tavern). Right now the poly count is 6,000. (Mostly tied up in the spikes, like 2,000+)

I'm not exactly sure what you mean with the end caps, or how I can do that and not veer far from the concept. Maybe I should just cut some variation directly into the geometry on the side on the build to break up the silhouette. To firm up the environment I'm going to texture the brown base and maybe add some plants that you don't see in the concept, just to work on my hand painted organic skills. Thanks for the feedback.
  • sketch81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wicked textures, looking forward to more updates.

Harry: yOU make a valid point about being counterproductive, but he did mention he would love feedback on "proportions and the hand painted textures".
  • DnS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DnS
    I think I might be ready to call this one done and move on to working on another project. Thanks for all of the support and crits all. Here are my finals:

church_wip6.jpg

church_textures.jpg
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Looks absolutely spot on man. The only thing I can say would make the model itself better is detailing on the ground but very awesome work. About how long did it take to get that stain glass piece right?
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah looks awesome.
    I would probably add some wear and tear dirt etc on an opacity map and place them randomly. hmmm...
  • DnS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DnS
    Gallows: Thanks, I'm thinking of building an environment scene around the model and working on terrain/lighting/organics to ground it. The stained glass piece was actually pretty quick, but I'm glad it looks like it took awhile!

butt_sahib: thanks, I'll see about some light grime/dirt if I bring it into UDK.
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    Looks good :) Though It's a bit weird to my eye that even though the textures are cartoony (could be from Warcraft even!) the shape of the church is very strict. It's very confusing :D Why not "loosen" the model's style a little so it would fit the textures better?

The job you've done here with the texture is seriously nice looking!

[ edit ] Ah, sorry. You were following someone else's concept :P But still...!