Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space Junk

Hi all,

Here is some work i have been doing for a sci-fi scene ill eventually be putting into unreal for my portfolio. This is a lift design done by Paul Richards which im going to be using as a Tram/Trolley.

This is my first proper go at normal mapping so please point out any obvious errors in the bake that i have missed. There are a few areas where i have changed the design slightly. the front bolts of the base but im still undecided as to whether or not ill change these to match the concept. I also made the screen a bit bigger but looking at it now i don't know whether to make it smaller again or not...?

Concept by - Paul Richards
quake4_lifts3.jpg

High Poly Model:
High_poly_01.jpg
Console (high poly)
High_poly_console.jpg

Low Poly Model:
Low_poly_01.jpg
Wire:
Wire-1.jpg

Replies

• Progg
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    You got a wireframe shot?
  • Gallows
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    The only thing I can comment on is how the computer screen(?) looks a bit off, but definitely a great model.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Really nice clean high poly. I'd suggest a few more small scale details, either bolts, trim, etc. Unless you're going for a super clean final result, you've got a lot of nice large and medium scale details, but not much small stuff for the eye to examine.
  • Gallows
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice clean high poly. I'd suggest a few more small scale details, either bolts, trim, etc. Unless you're going for a super clean final result, you've got a lot of nice large and medium scale details, but not much small stuff for the eye to examine.

Not to derail the thread or anything, but I'm pretty sure the first tutorial I watched was yours. So thanks.

Also if you're looking for more reference for modeling things that are of that style, I've got a ton of concepts I've collected from various boards if you want.
  • dejawolf
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    Gallows wrote: »
    Not to derail the thread or anything, but I'm pretty sure the first tutorial I watched was yours. So thanks.

Also if you're looking for more reference for modeling things that are of that style, I've got a ton of concepts I've collected from various boards if you want.

i hate poop... for not making more tutorials.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I make them still, just for photography rather than 3d. I mean what new is there to cover? I could update my next gen tutorials, but it's not like there is many more techniques in the past year or two that are not proprietary (and hence worthless for people at home with only off the shelf hardware).
  • Szark
    Offline / Send Message
    Szark polycounter lvl 12
    Looking pretty snazzy!
  • ES_139
    hi all, thanks for the comments:

heres an update i added some smaller details today as well as redoing the screen. Ive added a few bolts and trims to places as well as some detail to the console area. Comp is starting to slow down though so i think i might call it a day on modelling and move on to texturing and hopefully bring out some details with the texture.

Gallows: That would be great if you have more designs in this kinda style id love to have a look at them.

Update:
    high_poly_revised.jpg
  • Gallows
    Offline / Send Message
    That console looks so much better now, I also like how you made some of the rivets especially at the front base really smooth. So many subtle changes but overall completely better.
  • ES_139
    Hi all,

Been a while since an update so heres a wip of the diffuse, no spec yet obviously still working on the console. I think i overdid it on the edges being worn? texturing is definitely not my strongest skill something which im trying to improve so any feedback is much appreciated. Still working on the tread plate i think its too light right now. Do you think its too yellow i.e should i introduce another colour? i was using alot of old forklift trucks and the dollies from dead space as a kind of ref/colour scheme.
    cheers
    base.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    damn, thats impressive. Mighty fine job!
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    id like to add that you may wanna take a look at the metal part you stand on. In the real world, things like gum and stuff get stuck to surfaces like that. Y not dirty it up a bit?
  • ES_139
    roosterMAP:
    Thanks, i agree with you on the tread plate im still working on that i think it looks too light and clean. I was thinking i might add the hazard paint again to the metal plate that runs across the base do you think that would be overkill?
  • ES_139
    Diffuse pretty much done working on spec......
    Diffuse_02.jpg
    Diffuse_03.jpg

Console:
    Diffuse_04.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    very impressive! good texture work.

*hazard paint to metal plate that runs across the plate WOULD be overkill. lol
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Can't wait to see the spec, that is going to sell this piece the most. A gloss map will also be nice to help differentiate between the metal plate and the painted bits.

Watching.
  • Fethry
    The texture looks pretty good so far but it seems a tad boring. You could add some warning stickers or instruction text on the sides to make it more interesting.

Also the edging doesn't seem overdone to me but a bit too too uniform. Like on the yellow side railings it's rusted across the top very evenly. Break it up a bit. Make some areas more worn than the others instead of just shift dragging in photoshop. Also the top parts of the two square pieces in the front seem a bit overdone compared to the rest. They're just both too nicely rusted across the whole area. Here's a small overpaint.

spacelift_overpaint.jpg

Other than that good job on the model. Very clean modeling and the bake came out nicely! Like chaosquak says the spec should really bring this alive.
  • ES_139
    roostermap: thanks man much apretiated

choasquack: thanks dude yer the spec is guna be tough lol might take a bit longer than usual

fethry: thanks for the crits, some stickers are a good idea maybe some like the ones that say this item was last tested by....joe bloggs what do you think? unfortunatly i didnt just shift drag i painted them with a brush kinda sad that it looks like that :(. Thanks for the paintover the area that youv put paint actualy would hav never had paint on hence there not being any paint on it, perhaps that isnt clear enough maybe i should make the edges more metal so that it looks like the area below the hazard paint. I agree that if that area had been painted theres no way the paint would just come off like that.

thanks for all the crits ill get working on them today.
  • StefanH
    Offline / Send Message
    StefanH polycounter lvl 12
    looks great. reminds me of borderlands for some reason.
  • ES_139
    stefanH: thanks man much appreciated.

Update:
    spec_03.jpg
  • ES_139
    Modular Track design:

base_03.jpg
  • moziz
    modularity.png

You should move those grills on the sides closer to the middle to make your railway look better at the end.

Also you have that thick thing going under the rails in the middle, so moving the grills would also balance the details a bit better.
  • Shogun3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Some great work here. You using mudbox or zbrush for those chipped edges on the track?
  • ES_139
    Kaburan, thanks! im using zbrush to chip the edges away. That bit is still wip needs a bit more work on the chips.
    moziz, thanks man looks like a good idea i think ill do that, ill just bake it into the low poly be much easier than changing the high.