Home Technical Talk

Change "Selected" Wireframe color (3DS Max)

CJE
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
CJE polycounter lvl 13
I'm looking to change to wireframe color for objects in 3ds max. I know how to change it when the item is not selected, but im looking to change the color of the wireframe when in sub-object mode.

What I mean is, normally whenever you go in to Vertex mode, all the edges turn white, but working over white reference images, this doesnt help much. I would like to change the color to black, but I can't find the setting for this in the colors.

Replies

• ArYeS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArYeS polycounter lvl 8
    Works for me... so there u go :)
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i always greyscale my ref images and adjust the levels till they are fairly close match to my viewport background color,, seems easier than adjusting the wireframe, at least to me
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    This one setting change usually works after you restart the app.
    Its definitely there. Simply look for every color settings set to white and you'll find it!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    i always greyscale my ref images and adjust the levels till they are fairly close match to my viewport background color,, seems easier than adjusting the wireframe, at least to me
    This, but I use the Bitmap Parameters > Output options inside of max to do this so I'm not changing the actual ref cards. That is when I model with ref planes...
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Just so I dont start new thread: how do we change the subdivision surface cage color. This one is set to orange and yellow and i have no idea how they picked the colors but i would give everything not to have to change them every single time. IO never asked so far because I don't think it is possible. Thanks guys.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    disanski wrote: »
    Just so I dont start new thread: how do we change the subdivision surface cage color. This one is set to orange and yellow and i have no idea how they picked the colors but i would give everything not to have to change them every single time. IO never asked so far because I don't think it is possible. Thanks guys.

Sorry to necropost, but I found this thread while searching for an answer to the same question. I found it though: It's under Gizmos, listed as "Gizmos" (default orange) and "Selected Gizmos" (default yellow). You have to restart Max for it to take effect on the wireframes though (same as with the selected wireframe color). At first the change only shows up for other gizmos.

edit: Also, it seems to not apply the change to objects that were made before that (in opened files) for whatever reason, but maybe that's just a momentary glitch I'm seeing.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    speaking of which. Is there any version of Max or plugin allowing for the manipulation of components in subd preview mode (or turbosmooth preview, doesnt matter much)?

I know I can manipulate the components, but for instance when you want to select a vert or an edge you have to guess where it is on the lowpoly cage, as opposed to intuitively point at the curved surface.

Apps like Modo and Silo allow the manipulation of the actual surface. Any way to do that in Max?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    pior: nope, i wish it was possible. other apps have been allowing this for years (iirc even Maya does it - you can select on the smooth preview mesh although it will display the manipulator at the "real" vert position of course), max is just lagging behind there...
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    Is there a way to have wireframe color change depending if we are in editing mode or object mode, like it happens in Maya?
  • Ghogiel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghogiel greentooth
    ^max doesn't have an edit/object mode in the same way as Maya. Not exactly the same, but the outline/overlay on selection option does basically the same thing. Once you are in an "editing" mode, ie a subobject mode in editable poly or UV etc, the overlay/outline is disabled, so there is a clear visual indicator.

I turn that shit off personally, along with the bounding box on selection. imo yeah a wireframe color change would be the better way to do that type of visual feedback. But I don't think there is any way out of the box to do it.