Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lion Flintlock Musket!

My second model, as I've been trying to sort out the UV's on a previous post I had an urge to create something else while I figured out the problems.

I decided that a Flintlock musket would be a nice little project with my own little details added. Something new to learn, as I do and learn this as a hobby, our college doesn't do 3D work sadly!

Currently here is my WIP. So far I realise that with the mesh smooth on there my tri/ poly count is possibly way to high as ive set the iterations to 2 as it gave me a smoother lighting look, I probably will have to cut down on them, ive still got the low poly as well as the mesh smoothed versions.

Im getting the hang of edge loops (i hope) and learnt how it affects the model ive learnt on this, probably wont be perfect and alot of mistakes, but someone with a trained eye will have to tell me :)

As well as this new model, ive got my hands on Xoliul shader, which ive been messing around with.

More detail will be added to the lion through normal maps.

mesh smoothed model:
Tris: 38140 :/
Poly: 19091

Low poly model:
Tris: 8531
Poly: 4308

Both counts are of everything in the scene.

1.jpg
2-1.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5-2.jpg
6.jpg
8.jpg
7.jpg

ill do a quick paint over in photoshop to give a glimpse on the materials and what not.

I await the crits!

Replies

• Progg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progg polycounter lvl 11
    Seems a bit too smooth to me. I looks like the whole mesh was turbosmoothed together. I like the trigger and the detail on the gun, but like I said, the edges on the barrel don't feel crisp. There should be more separate pieces, or detail to make it feel that way. Right now it just feels like the whole thing was carved from a single piece of wood.