Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The poo room

So here is what I have been working on over the holidays. Not the most exciting subject, and not very game-ish, but certainly challenging since there are so many fine curves and intricate edges.

This started out as just the sink and toilet that I did for a home builder. Since I have been working toward offering models for sell, and wanted to include these, I thought it would be nice if I offered a complete bathroom set.
I want to offer the entire set including mental ray setup and materials as well as some of the individual items and sets. These models are intended to be used as proxies for Vis professionals, so I will be spending a lot of time making sure I get the final product and the delivery as perfect as possible.

I used my own house bathroom as the template. Since we are looking to remodel it in the near future it was the perfect fit. The whole thing is built to scale with 1 unit = 1 inch.
So this whole thing serves several purposes.

At this stage I am pretty much done with modeling. Most of it is modeled in max with the finer details, like the mirror frame and claw feet on the tub, are done in Zbrush. Need to sculpt some details on the door knobs since we have beautiful antique copper door knobs. I will finish that later today.

I only applied basic colors to each of the pieces just so it would make it easier to do the shaders and materials later.
I intend to do a nice photo real renderings with mental ray. Although I am fairly newbish with mental ray still, so this will be more of a learning experience. Perhaps, a little intimated by mental ray still, but the best way to learn is to jump in with both feet.
I am going to tackle lighting next. I want to do a shot with interior lights on and a mid afternoon shot with the sun streaming through the frosted window. So going to spend some time working to get that right first.

Any C&C would be very helpful at this stage. Most of this is newer territory for me as I am used to game characters and stuff, so any help you all may be able to offer would be great.

Bathroom_front.jpg
Bathroom_left.jpg
Bathroom_tub.jpg
Bathroom_tubfaucet.jpg
Bathroom_sinkCabinet.jpg
Bathroom_window.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice scene, and great prop modelling. :)

With some simple surface textures and nice lighting, you could render this one really well, I think!
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice indeed! The towels hanging down really drag my eyes in to them. Try making them both unique, rather than one as a copy.
  • tommywomble
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was expecting a room made out of poo, i'm dissapointed:(

xD
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    lol nice gimpy small floormat under the towel. I'd get claustrophobic as hell in this bathroom!
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys!
    I agree about the towels I will be sure to alter them, then. The "Gimpy floormat" is actually a vent cover. We has these antique vent covers that are very nice. I guess I will add some better bolts in the sides so they look like a vent cover instead of a floor mat lol.
    Plus I think I will actually add a floor mat next to the tub thanks for the idea.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man that's awfully cramped :(

Nice little scene though :)

Is that a trashcan to the left of the sink? is it really that small?
  • atulkatdare
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice, like da scene
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try making the towels with the cloth modifier instead of just trying to rough them in, because they don't really respond to gravity, especially not around the bar..
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The scale on a lot of things seem off.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the comments!
    bbob - You are right I should use the cloth modifier. Was playing around last night and trying to add some displacment to the towels but they still don't quite look right. I think the cloth modifier and some gravity will help that a lot.

ZacD - Which scales seem off exactly? Most of the items are all very carefully modeled to their exact deminisions. The trashcan wasn't as Ben noticed and I have scaled it up a bit so that it fits better. If you see any others that are off please let me know.

Also since everyone seems to think this bathroom is tight and cramped, which in real life its not that cramped. Its not huge and spacious either but for the model sake I went ahead and widened the whole room. Just a little but to make it easier to get some better shots. Just have to remember that when I go to do the actual remodel that the model is wider then the actual room.

I will work on the towels and such today and post some more shots later.
  • bbob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and by the way, if you need help with mental ray in max, hit me up with a PM.. :)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    just say no to checkerboard :D it's still the 3d equivalent of LENS FLARE.. i think.. :D
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    checkerboard in a bath room is fine!

i tried acuratley modeling some of my house in 3d a while back and it was funny how small it seemed in 3d even when modeled to scale, which is why you will notice a lot of time when you play games even normal apartments will have 15 foot high ceilings and 10 foot tall doorways, especialy in fps mode. sometimes the "art directors" get a bit carried away which is why in WAR the houses that are modeled at 2 or 3 storys are the height of 10 story buildings,
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The battle to learn Mental ray has begun :) This is my first attempt at anything really involving mental ray so it still a bit rough, but getting there.
    Things to do still are;
    -towels still need some clothness added to them, they are still kind of rubbery.
    -material and texture all the bottles and accessories
    - sculpt and texture the doorknob
    - and lol i see i forgot to material the T.p.
    After all that is covered I will make my first attempt at an interior lit scene which is a bit more challenging. Any crits or comments welcome, as I am new with MR I could use all the help I can get. Thanks

Plus the checker tiles came with the house and a very nice marble, so they are not something that I can or will change. :)

Bath_MR_cam1.jpg

Bath_MR_cam2.jpg

Bath_MR_cam3.jpg

Bath_MR_cam4.jpg

Bath_MR_cam5.jpg
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Those tiles are looking great, kinda think the yellows killing your scene now, might want to desaturate or switch to white, or hell, maybe try more tiles, like granite or something.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well finally got back to this. I recently purchased max 2010 and upgraded from max 9. Unfortunately this meant that I had to start over on materials and lighting because when I opened the max9 file and tried to render, I got all kinds of errors for the lighting and materials. So far it is paying off though as I think I have a much better result then before.
    I also had gone back and redone of finished many of the models. I replaced the sink with a new pedestal sink, which I think help open up the room a bit. I also sculpted out the details on the antique doorknobs we have, which isnt very noticeable in these renders. I also worked a lot trying to get a more believable mesh for the towels and floor mat. The material still needs work but overall I think they look much better.

The problem I am having now is that the reflection in the mirror does not recognize the exposure control settings that I have had to use to get the scene to the proper brightness. There is a simple daylight system with mr sun and sky for lighting and I am using a logarithmic exposure control to brighten the image. I tried with the mr photographic exposure control also but got the same result.

Does anyone know how to fix that reflection to get it to properly reflect the adjusted exposure controls?

BAth_Rework.jpg
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well Finally finished this piece I have been working on. Overall the hardest part was getting those towels to look believable and not rubbery, but with some normal mapping and a good diffuse map I think I finally pulled it off.
    Learned a lot about mental ray with this project and certainly feel more comfortable with the tool. Still lots to learn but very much on my way.

Next is to do an Interior lit version of this scene. Although I have spent a lot of time on this already and may just move on to the next project and use interior lighting for that instead.

Even though I am calling this finished if anyone has any tips or crits on things I could do differently for next time I would love to hear them. Thanks

Bath3.jpg

Bath2.jpg

Bath1.jpg
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks great. I'm currently in the process of teaching myself mental as well, using the Rendering with Mental Ray and 3ds Max textbook. Great fun. Would it be possible for you to share your lighting setup and render settings?
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I also have a book my wife hi-jacked from work lol. Great refrence especially for setting up the lighting. Most of the rest I can figure out on my own but it was invaluable for helping figure out FG and GI.
    Well the lighting is pretty simple. Its just a daylight system, with mr sun and sky and I used the mr photographic exposure controls to get the brightness inside the way I wanted it.
    I used both FG and GI solutions as well. The FG solution is set to Low settings with 4 bounces and the GI is set to 1500 photons with radius of 125.

For the final render I used the Mitchell filter with a setting of 6 for both parameters. Shadows precision turned up to 8, Glossy refraction and reflection precision both set to 2.

Final renders took about 37 min each for a 1575x900 rendering