Home Unreal Engine

UDK texture blending, terrain mesh

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Heya,

I am wondering about the advanced (modulated?) texture blend method and its application to terrain mesh inside of UDK. Typically the material is setup to act with Vertex Color and, if I remember correctly, Terrain mesh doesn't use Vert Color.

Is there a method to setup the blend method seen here, to work on terrain?

http://www.chrisalbeluhn.com/UDK_Advanced_Vertex_Painting.html

Replies

• Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    ya i aksed around about this since some engines can already do certain variations on this, but acording to all the chaps on the udk forums theres no way to do it on terrain without some severe recoding. but thats all based on hearsay, so if you find a way please let me know
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    is there any kind of angle/slope node in UDK? or heightnode?

in frostbite we use (mainly) a combination of slope/height masks/nodes + some large scale rgb b/w masks to build up our shaders. + the normal diffuse/normalmap yadayada's

we then use a maskpaint system that currently support up to 4 materials per 16x16 patch (you can cram more into it but its bound to bug out..)
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I can confirm what Rhinokey is saying. This just makes it all the more obvious that the Terrain is the most underdeveloped feature in the Unreal engine...

(I really hope with all their nice UDK updates they'll get to the terrain sometime soon)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    I hate to necro a year-plus-old thread, but I'm wondering if this is possible yet given the number of changes and updates that have been made in the terrain system for UDK. I haven't come across anything very helpful online regarding this kind of blending with terrain textures and I haven't found anything in the UDK itself that seems like it would be very helpful.
  • sprunghunt
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Sweet! My boss and I had been trying to figure out how to get it to work all day today, so this is great. Thanks!
  • Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So you can do the same stuff with landscape like in vertex paint ? Is it a better or more prefered way than using normal terrain ? Asking this becouse I need to redo the middle ground in my enviro I am working on and need to blend a couple of textures same way I could using vertex paint with falloff and stuff.