Home Technical Talk

Looking for Texture Tutorials

Hello!.

I need help to find some of the good Tutorials for making Textures for my 3D art (lowpoly models)..I have Photoshop CS4,Photoshop 7 & TheGimp..Anyone which could help me so i can start making better textures !?

Thanks for your attention :\.

This time it might be the right thread

Replies

• renderhjs
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the version of photoshop wont necessarily help you make better textures, although i would always recommend using the latest version if it is available to you (in this case cs4) What kind of textures are you looking for help on? hand painted hard surface etc....

if hard surfacing i found that the racer445 and stefan morrell tutorials were very helpful.
    racer445
    stefan morrell

The 3dtotal tutorial section also has lots of tutorials on texturing
  • ShadowFox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im a book person most of the time as the internet can churn up some rubbish, but if you dont mind spending around £15 on a book I recommend.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/3D-Game-Textures-Professional-Photoshop/dp/0240811488/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262530314&sr=1-2[/ame]

ive been reading through this book and he's got some good hints and pointers.

Although i need a question answering, in the cg society link renderhjs gave, they talk about using photo overlays, given that they are not copyrighted, royalty free etc. is this used in the industry?

Something about it seems like it wouldnt be used often, any info on this?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    step 1 make a simple model
    step 2 texture it posting your progress in a thread in pimping and previews
    step 3 use common sense to seperate good from bad advice
    step 4 follow good advice

repeat over and over till you get good.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Rhino I'm confused... step 3 use common sense to seperate good from bad advice... do you have tutorials for that. LOL....

http://lounge.ego-farms.com/ go to the complete series section.

With texturing the only way to learn is by doing it. Start with simple objects like Rhino said, low poly models and do just a diffuse. Once you get good with that start with higher poly models.
  • Mulle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay Thanks everyone this really helped me!.
    So now i'm going to use a hell of time using my photoshop
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 polycounter lvl 8
    I have a question.
    Are there any tutorials out there for hand painting textures? I've been looking around for quite some time and all I've been able to find is tutorials that use alpha or some type of grunge brush. Or am I mistaken and most people consider hand painted textures as using photoshop tricks with a wacom tablet.
  • Koden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaze369 wrote: »
    I have a question.
    Are there any tutorials out there for hand painting textures? I've been looking around for quite some time and all I've been able to find is tutorials that use alpha or some type of grunge brush. Or am I mistaken and most people consider hand painted textures as using photoshop tricks with a wacom tablet.

When you say 'hand painted textures' do you mean making the texture map look as though someone has literally 'painted' it, or do you mean using something like a Wacom tablet in Photoshop?

Most texturing guides/tutorials are going to assume that you are 'painting' your texture maps. It is very rare (and very limiting) if you create textures with nothing more than Marquee Select/Copy/Paste/Copy/Paste

In the end, creating interesting maps does boil down to using your Wacom as a canvas and your stylus as a brush. Using unique brushes (including 'grunge' brushes) and alphas can help enhance your texture, but there are some nuances that you really can't achieve without getting your digital paintbrush wet.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koden wrote: »
    When you say 'hand painted textures' do you mean making the texture map look as though someone has literally 'painted' it, or do you mean using something like a Wacom tablet in Photoshop?

Most texturing guides/tutorials are going to assume that you are 'painting' your texture maps. It is very rare (and very limiting) if you create textures with nothing more than Marquee Select/Copy/Paste/Copy/Paste

In the end, creating interesting maps does boil down to using your Wacom as a canvas and your stylus as a brush.

Actually, that's probably my 2nd question.
    Does Hand Painted mean,

Hand Painted="Looks" painted, i.e. an artist painting a picture.
    OR...
    Hand Painted=use of Photoshop skills + Wacom + optional (Zbrush/Mudbox)

I don't have any experience in the game industry so I wouldn't know the answer.
  • Koden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the semantics of it are open to interpretation, but it really depends on the context you're using it in. If I were to describe a texture that looked as though it was literally painted in real life, I would say that you could see the brushstrokes or there was primer underneath the coat of paint. If I were to hear someone else talk about a 'hand painted texture' I interpret it as a digitally painted texture.

That question really just boils down to semantics.
  • kaze369
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Koden wrote: »
    I think the semantics of it are open to interpretation, but it really depends on the context you're using it in. If I were to describe a texture that looked as though it was literally painted in real life, I would say that you could see the brushstrokes or there was primer underneath the coat of paint. If I were to hear someone else talk about a 'hand painted texture' I interpret it as a digitally painted texture.

That question really just boils down to semantics.
    I think it's somewhat about semantics, but I feel there is a general consensus in the industry about what "hand painted" means and that's what I'm trying to find out.