Home Technical Talk

::Modular Asset(s) Shading Problem::

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
CT007 polycounter lvl 13
I need to make a set of modular tunnels & caves that are totally seamless(no vertex normal seams, no texture seams) for UDK/UT3. Anyone have a tutorial(=pix) or know how? I have no idea how to fix the vertex normals, or what the proper setup for using tiling texture(s) is on something like this. Thanks...

Example of modular tunnel failure, with obvious vert normal seams:
Lighting only/Unlit/Lit:
4233868987_c36c34a589_b.jpg

Replies

• DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Looks like you have the light too close to the meshes. Try moving it and increasing its overal influence (make its range bigger). Issues like this happen to me all the time. Just try moving the lights around and messing with the brightness and the range...
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Can you export custom vertex normals out with static meshes from your modelling application? Or does Unreal always average them and regenerate the vertex normals?

It looks like, since the curved sections start straight into the curve, the vertex normals there are not "straight out" on the corners - instead they're pointing inward a bit. While the vertex normals on the flat wall sections are pointing straight out. Therefore they don't match up.

If you can't export or use custom normals, then the next solution would be just to have single poly at the end of each curved section which is perfectly straight (ie. aligned with the flat walls) - that way it will appear continuous since the vertex normals will match.

I don't know Unreal Engine much but I don't think that's a problem with the light.

Edit: Here's a quick and dirty image, might help to explain what I'm talking about:
    modular_wall_normals.jpg
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    i just posted in the udk thread about a similar problem. however its happening on completely flat planes, http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=67290&page=9
    i'll go into max and check my normals though. . .
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    however its happening on completely flat planes,
    http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LightingReference.html#Lightmaps

Scroll down to the part about Lighting Subdivisions?
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid: fortunate for me, my problem was as simple as upping the quality of the lighting build. the lighting subdivisions didn't seem to have an effect on the issue.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    cryrid: fortunate for me, my problem was as simple as upping the quality of the lighting build. the lighting subdivisions didn't seem to have an effect on the issue.
    Isn't that what the lighting subdivisions section says? (lower the resolution to fix the problem and maintain the shadow)
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no, i'm speaking of when I build the lights. i was testing at a preview setting. switching to production light build is what fixed my problems.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
  • CT007
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CT007 polycounter lvl 13
    MoP, you're right; it's the vert normals. I messed around in Maya trying to get it right, but the best I could get was to average normals. I'm not techy enough to use the vertex normal tool or whatever it is, not that I know it would fix the problem. I combined the pieces into main sections; a 3-way, a 4-way, a bend, and a hallway section, which helps a lot, but seams are still visible with less light(only where each mesh connects, not on any mesh individually).

================

I'm totally stumped here as to how to make an entirely seamless modular tunnel set. Anyone got a tutorial? :\ Preferably with tiling textures, UDK. Thx a mill-