Home Contests & Challenges Archives Game Art Workshops

Workshop #3 - Godo

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Godo polycounter lvl 12
Hi all. I realize this workshop has been up for a while, but I was hoping to get some feedback on a few challenges I've been facing. I wanted to use this workshop as an excuse to practice hi poly modeling as well as workflow in general. However, at this time I've been butting my head against the wall for 10+ or so hours and I can't take it anymore.

I'm modeling this M1 Bayonet. I thought, "This will be a nice, simple, warm-up!" After all, I have one sitting here on my desk, so I can look at all the shapes immediately. The handle is giving me so much grief though! I can't figure out a good way to do it.

You can see in the first pic how I was able to get the basic shape and the rubber grips extruded, as well as subtract the area where the bayonet lug fits in on the rifle. BUT You can see that adding so many loops has given me some hard edges that I want to soften.
bayo_hi_1.jpg

After this iteration, I re-did the thing 3-4 times to get a feel for the shapes and I'm pretty pleased with the overall shape of the current iteration, but now I'm afraid to put any more detail in or I will lose the softness of the rounded edges!
bayo_hi_2.jpg

I'm happy with how the blade came out though. I was able to carve all details in.
bayo_hi_3.jpg

Please help!
-Sore head :(

Replies

• etb342
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A silly fear Godo! If you're afraid of losing what you have simply duplicate your mesh for a backup. Honestly, if you're not backing up your progress as you go you're asking for problems at some point in your future.

It's really tough to tell where the creases are coming from in your first iteration because you haven't included any wireframes to look at. My guess would be that some edges are hugging too close to one another as you put in more geometry to help define the volume of object.

The only way to avoid this is to be sure any geometry you may add to your mesh is evenly distibuted in areas that you don't want to see pinching. Either that or you could weld the offending loop and simply form the tri somewhere on the object.
  • Godo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godo polycounter lvl 12
    Well I made a bit of progress today. Still working on that slot bit. 15 hours now and I've hit another road block. This corner is curving up and I haven't figured out a good way to place geometry to stop that. Any suggestions?

cornerProblem02.jpg
    cornerProblem01.jpg
  • etb342
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You definitely have an edge loop that is generating that curve there. See how it comes around the back of the hilt then shoots up the rim of the clip? That's what's causing the pinch there at the lip. If you don't see it I'll draw it onto the screenshot for you later.

Keep in mind that the clip would most likely be a separately machined material whereas the grip would be made of something like wood (WWII bayonett?).
  • neuromancer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd need to see more of the geometry to be able to actually draw a re-mesh over it. Basically there isn't enough geometry there to keep it from pinching like that when you smooth it. In other words you need to setup the edgeflow so that it follows the direction of the corner to counter that pinching effect.

Hope that makes sense.
  • Godo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godo polycounter lvl 12
    bayonetedges.gif

I hope that is a better view of the edges. I am still struggling with this shape. I open it up every week or so and mess with the edges, can't seem to get it right.
  • Lortomon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think because the density of the red are is higher compared to the green area the one corner is pulling up. Plus the corner under the dot is on a folded over poly. Maybe try cutting something like the green area and getting rid of the tri on the poly left of the arrow this thread helped me a bunch. http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=56014&highlight=mechanical+sub-d&page=5help.jpg
  • Godo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godo polycounter lvl 12
    Ok. Well I fixed it finally. I ended up with something similar to what you suggested - that green line I cut in and pulled up, then I just kept messing with that corner until it looked right. Here is the result:
    bayonetedges01.gif
    bayonetedges02.gif

There's just a few more little details, then I can move on to low poly.
  • Godo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godo polycounter lvl 12
    Alright - Here's the final hi poly. FINALLY

First person view:
    bayonet_hi_01.gif

bayonet_hi_02.gifbayonet_hi_03.gif
  • Godo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godo polycounter lvl 12
    Low poly done.

I'm looking for crits/tips on how to lower tris and how to set it up nicely for unwrapping.
    Tri count 975. Vets 504.

bayonet_low_03.gif
    bayonet_low_02.gif
    bayonet_low_01.gif