Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Card Game Board Help

A few friends and I are learning the XNA Dev Kit and have made a couple of small 2D games via tutorials and such. However, all of the sprites (.bmp, .tga, etc) have all been given to us. How would we go about designing a gameboard for our game. The game is our own version of Triple Triad, but the board is going to be bigger than a 3x3 grid. What is a good way to make a crisp board as well as other sprites? I have tried paint.net. What do you recommend for someone who has never made "graphics" before? This is what I have so far and granted it looks terrible, but how could I make it go from this to something awesome looking like the other pictures? Thank you for your help!

board-1.jpg

board.png

wannabe.jpg

Replies

• d2king10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d2king10 polycounter lvl 12
    It seems like they are using a lot of texture overlaying and darkening/lightening of certain areas to get a nice effect. It is a bit hard to give specifics on how to recreate those type of graphics, your best bet would be to pick up Photoshop or GIMP (if you don't have the money for photoshop), and just mess around with it until it looks good. Subtle details go a long way.

What you have right now is basically a texture in a geometric shape. Try adding chips and edge details, as well as scratches and such. Placing a texture by it self will look very flat and won't look as pleasant to the eye as adding some wear and tear, and nicely places shadows and highlights.

Best of luck to you and your team, post some updates so we can keep you going :poly121: