Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some awesome stuff in there, love the MotoGP rider, and the snowboarding guy.

Any reason why there isn't wires on those? I'm not sure if a consistency of wired/low/hi/flats in every character would look better, maybe worth a try.

Also, slightly off-topic, how was Blitz? They're 2 minutes from me and I was thinking about sending an app in there at some point. I just don't know a whole lot about them, it seems they've got some top quality and highly respected guys there, but they don't have much in the way of popular titles coming out.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cheers for the feedback guys
    problem is I haven't got all the assets handy. lost some of them in a hard drive crash or didn't always copy stuff over when working in house
    I will add link pages for the flats and stuff where possible

EDIT Blitz didn't work out for me. talented people I would say and a good place to start in the industry, though I worked there in around 2002, so its a while ago now
  • Tom Ellis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah I thought that might be the case as I notice you mention some of the pieces are quite old.

I don't think it detracts from the portfolio at all, just me being picky I guess.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Oh Ruz... how I love thee.

Awesome work buddy, defiantly digging the new site as well (much easier to see your work).
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cheers Jason. thought I would make a good start for the new year
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Snowboarder only has 1 shoe?

I think the work needs to be re-orderd (starting with the strongest pieces)

I'm not sure about the motor cycle rider, he has a saggy ass, and the torso/waist is a little weak
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ha ha ZacD the ass is meant to be saggy, it part of the costume( padding) . obviously you are not in to motoGP:)
    you would n't want to skin your arse at 90mph

snowboarder is WIP if you check the caption

EDIT added a little WIP section
    http://www.mikerusby.com/WIP1.html
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great! Always a pleasure to see your work with your sexy textures and all. Not seeing them in flickr is even better! ;)
    Im fighting with myself to see if i love the schema youve got going on (open site> CHARACTER ORGASM) or dread it. Maybe put SOME organization into your characters. Maybe a title for each character/project and more than one picture (when you have so many characters, and you put them up together without compartmentalizing them, i feel i dont pay as much attention to each project/character as i should). I guess youll have to decide on whether this is a blog/dump type thing or an actual work portfolio.
    Also, STOP USING PURE WHITE IN YOUR SHOTZZ DUDE it hurts my eyes :)
    The only thing you could think of doing next is maybe put a hardsurface sub-d'd model in the folio.

CHEERS
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    The knees look too manly:
    http://www.mikerusby.com/images/kit.jpg

Photoshop selection error in the center (light halo):
    http://www.mikerusby.com/images/pressguys1.jpg

Some of your work looks too video gamey due to the way you've lit them. I think you need to re-present the ones that have this much contrast in them, that have black in them. Take out the black with a shader or ambient lighting. Texture the ball... I'd almost recommend cutting this one:
    http://www.mikerusby.com/images/footballer3.jpg

nice work ;)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Mike, nice stuff!

I have to agree with killingpeople, your lighting/presentation is really killing your work in some cases. You have nice models and textures and then you go and light them like it's the 90s with a single white light and no ambient lighting, so they all shade to black and end up looking like plastic.

I'm sure it wouldn't take you long to get a nice lighting setup which presents these guys in a much, much nicer manner and will elevate your portfolio to a whole new level.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah thanks for the suggestions guys.
    Butt_ Sahib
    I was thinking of organizing it it to project by project, so first project would have a thumbnail or a beauty render, linked to a page which shows all the flats, normal maps etc
    MoP, for some reason I never really got in to the lighting rendering side of things. I just find it difficult for some reason.
    I just see the whole presentation side of it as graphic design and I have always been shit at that:)

KP I get what you are saying. I will take another look at this today. I wish i had all the models , lost a fair bit of stuff

didn't notice the little selection error weird:O
  • Nick Carver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nick Carver polycounter lvl 10
    You've got some really nice work there, Ruz. The consistency and cleanness of your modelling and texturing really shines through. i agree with the others that you should hook some of them up to a decent CGFX shader in order to really show them off. It doesn't take long and with some nice ambient light and fall off they will look a lot more sophisticated (even though the shader is doing all the extra work!).

I would also recommend losing the older work at the bottom. It's cool to show where you've come from as an artist, but I think those bottom few pieces aren't of the same quality as your more recent stuff. Good job on the Bruce Willis model so far, too.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    cheers for the feedback nick. which shaders do you recommend? I Like bryces BRDF shaders
    but am open to suggestions
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work Mike and really nice to see some unseen work from you :) This guys is my favourite http://www.mikerusby.com/images/bloke1.jpg

For ease of use I really like Xoliul's Max shader http://laurenscorijn.com//viewportshaderversions/Xoliulshader_v1.3.rar - used in conjunction with the realtime shadowing and vieport Ambient Occlusion you can get a really nicely presented character which mimics high end game lighting/ shader setups. The tests you were doing with UDK looked great though - screen-capturing from the asset viewer inside their could be a good option aswell.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    ruz your results on hair and cloth always look so nice, do you think in the future theres ever a chance of you making a mini tut' on how you achieved this effect? I will be your best friend and tell everyone your some hot shot 20 year old so you feel more awesome :p
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If ever there was a man that could paint a face it is Mike Rusby. Awesome too see some pieces I've never seen before, always a treat.

Damn I love your faces.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    VERY VERY nice stuff. I think Everyone here is spot on with crits. My only crit is i'd like to see more high rez.

Try body posses and facial expressions. I think it can go along way in showing off the potential of your models. Also, try rendering your high rez models in Zbrush using this guys method - http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?t=78266 his work is a "zbrush render" and Photoshop composite process. I think your geo and model quality are there. It's just all about presentation as everyone here has said.

Edit (adding): Might be worth while to consider dimming the background color to a lower end of the Grey scale spectrum. As Current, your backgrounds feel too bright and detract from the models just a little.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    FAT_CAP - cheers for that. yeah i liked that character at the time. looks a bit dated now though

I have some pieces from 'the outsider' at frontier, but that's still ongoing. could be vaporware though:)
    will probably set up a custom scene in UDK for my characters. have to relearn matinee also

rendering in zbrush is tough to get right

seforin - thanks will try and do it as soon as I can. have to sort out the folio first

Vig - thanks man. i love doing faces though I still struggle with them at times
    I still see my self as a texture artist who does a bit of modelling really
    This is one of my later ones which i am very happy with
    diffbase.jpg
    overlayed a desaturated normal map at about 20 percent. works ok. hate AO personally for faces

Crazyeyes - cheers for the feedback. I will try and get some more high res stuff up. i just find it hard to make look good unless I do turntables
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    Mental Ray could be your best friend. ;)
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Love your character work!

keep it up!