Home Technical Talk

Setting up dual screens

ae.
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
ae. polycounter lvl 12
I am currently trying to set up a second display on my computer using my geforce 9800 gt graphics card, I have run int a problem as i don't know what kind of adapter i need for my old computer screen, i bought a DVI to VGA adapter but it doesn't seem to work i was hoping that someone could point me in the right direction on how to get dual screens on my computer.

What do i need or am i missing something?

Im not really that great with computers so any help would be great :)

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, your graphics card has 2 outputs, right? On a 9800 I assume that they'll both be DVI?
    If it's an old screen like you say then a DVI->VGA converter should do the trick.

Once you've plugged in the cable (I'm assuming it all fits together - it should go graphics card DVI output -> DVI/VGA adaptor -> VGA cable -> VGA input on monitor if it's a standard setup), then make sure you reboot.

Right-click on your desktop in Windows and go to Properties, then go to Settings tab, should be on the far right (I'm using XP here but it should be the same in Vista/7 I think).

Now hopefully it should just be a case of selecting the monitor marked "2" in the UI (it should appear greyed out probably), and then clicking the "Extend my windows desktop to this monitor" checkbox.

With luck, that will work.

If it doesn't (or if it doesn't even show a 2nd monitor) then you may need to install drivers (though this is unlikely), and if it doesn't show at all then maybe something is wrong with your monitor, your adaptor, or the cable you're using. Try to check them on a different PC or input device if possible.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Thanks, MoP

Seems to be showing up but when i press " Extend Monitor" it apply's the change but nothing happens, I might be doing something wrong. Is there a way to troubleshoot somehow as i don't have any other computers in the house to try this on.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Hi, one things comes to mind: does the second monitor turn on when you apply changes but show nothing, or it remains completely dead?
    One issue could be related to "Screen refresh rate". If the second monitor is set to a rate it cannot handle, just switches off. In "Display Properties" select the second monitor (bordered with light gray) then choose "Advanced". Under panel "Monitor" set it to "60 Hertz", the lowest value, "Apply" settings then retry the "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor". If it turns on, you can then gradually increase the refresh rate up to the best for your device.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    SyncViewS wrote: »
    Hi, one things comes to mind: does the second monitor turn on when you apply changes but show nothing, or it remains completely dead?
    One issue could be related to "Screen refresh rate". If the second monitor is set to a rate it cannot handle, just switches off. In "Display Properties" select the second monitor (bordered with light gray) then choose "Advanced". Under panel "Monitor" set it to "60 Hertz", the lowest value, "Apply" settings then retry the "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor". If it turns on, you can then gradually increase the refresh rate up to the best for your device.

When i turn on my second screen i says no signal and goes into sleep mode, i checked the properties and its already on 60 hertz.
  • SyncViewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyncViewS polycounter lvl 13
    Well, this is odd. If you want to run a more radical test to see if the second monitor actually works and all your connections/cables are fine, you can simply turn off the pc, unplug current first monitor and leave the new one plugged. It shouldn't matter what plug it's connected to if there's only one device, then turn on the pc, and see if the new monitor works alone.

A warning: if the standard resolution is different, it could mess up your desktop icons order, but nothing more then a little drag and drop work to fix it.

If it works, you can turn off the pc again, plug the old monitor, and turn it on again and see what happens.

Another tip, but it shouldn't be your case. Dual monitor doesn't work on a SLI system when SLI is active. At least it's what I discovered with two GeForce 7950gts, don't know if this restriction apply to newer models too. If this is your case, just disable the SLI mode.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    I have a little 19" Bravia that's serving as my second display in work... I'm having some trouble getting anything good out of it. I go through the nvidia properties and set it up, it says its set up for 1080p and all that, all maximum settings as far as I can see, but the image is pretty blurry, and even jaggy sometimes. Also, the top and bottom of a fitted window like a firefox browser don't appear, its getting cut off. I also have a PS2 slim hooked up to it for lunchtime multiplayer through RGB and the same story, looks even worse, though that could be the PS2's native res. I have tinkered around with the tv, but it works nice with my PS3, its mostly why its playing nice with my laptop thats confusing me. My laptop had a lower res screen but a far crisper image. :(
  • BadgerBaiter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    threadnecromancy.jpg

Apologies, couldn't resist.

Still.

What resolution is the TV actually capable of? I didn't think that TVs of that size could manage 1080p? If not, I'd imagine thats why you are losing parts of firefox - I would imagine the tv is more likely 1366 x 760 or something?? And 1080i rather than 1080p?

Just a thought, and quite possibly way off.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I figured it was better than starting a new thread.

Yes, the tv outputs at 1080i. That's not why it would be cropping I don't think.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Your TV likely supports a very specific resolution when hooked to a PC over VGA. Like 1366x*** or something weird. I had problems getting my tv to work over VGA, so I got a DVI->HDMI converter and that helped a lot(I use a video card with native HDMI now). The tv should automatically recognize the signal, and the PC should recognize that its a TV and output at base 720.

Remember 1080I isn't actually 1080 res, but 1080 interlaced, so you'll likely only be able to run at 720p.

So two suggestions:

Research the support resolution for your tv

Use hdmi