Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] [Low-Poly] Old 4-legged mecha with voodoo-ish flavor

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
9skulls polycounter lvl 13
The title seems to be plain gibberish, but I don't really know how else to describe it :/

Anyhow, I've always had this thing for 4-legged mechas, and being inspired by several RTS-games I wanted to give a try and make my own... In low poly, of course.

I had an idea of 4-legged mecha that would be bit of a mix of something techical and organic, so this design here represents a character which is basically made of some sort of wood, dark rock, leaves and an animal skull (which makes his body).

mbtfinal1.jpg

mbtfinal2.jpg

mbtfinal3.jpg

Please note that I'm still a total noob when it comes to 3d and character design so bear me with the flaws of this design :P

The texture is also WIP, there's only the main colors but more detail will come. I'm also trying to create a control-scheme with Unity, a bit similar to Diablo (point-n-click).

Here's a link for live-demo (please install the required Unity-webplayer as it is The Way To The Ultimate Awesomeness) :p

» http://white-isle.net/utest/mbt/

[ edit :: ]
As a sidenote, this started as an entry for the awesome 500-poly-thread, but as I progressed with the model and found the ideal design I wanted to achieve, I just trashed the 500 poly limit and let myself go, lol. Maybe I'll do something later that fits within 500 polys.

[ edit 2 :: ]
Damn, anybody know how to make 2 sided polys render correctly in Unity? (see how the wings are bugged..)

Replies

• AsaNYC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC polycounter lvl 12
    Looks pretty neat! Can't wait to see where this goes.
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC wrote: »
    Looks pretty neat! Can't wait to see where this goes.
    Thanks! I'm waiting for that aswell, lol.. :poly122:
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    This may trigger arguments but if you say your a noob with 3d you should be experimenting with current gen stuff, 2048x2048 maps and over 2500 poly's per asset. There is much more freedom for artistic expression this way compared to low poly which is very restrictive. To add to that I firmly believe that the more leg room you have the more you can do to better yourself as an artist.
    Once you have the skills and confidence then start narrowing down the complexity and then produce some low poly stuff.
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty cool 9skulls, I'm very interested in seeing where this is headed. Voodoo+Mecha just sounds like a recipe for fun. I can't say I agree with GCMP tho. I think this is a great starting point.

I believe one of the hardest and probably one of the most important lessons any noob (myself included) has to learn..is to keep things simple. Our eager creative minds are all wound up and we tend to hit the floor running. Usually, it's right into a wall. That can be real discouraging when just starting out. It may be a cliche, but we have to learn to crawl before we can walk, run, etc. Regardless, keep at it man. This looks to be a fun and promising project. :)
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, both comments noticed! :) The way I see it, making low-poly stuff is more like a choice of style to me than choice of ... well whatever it might be. I like low-poly stuff, because when I was a kid all the games used to look like that (after 8- & 16-bit era of course). I know, it's challenging when you are not able to use thousands of polygons per model, but then again, when you have tight restrictions you really need to start using your head and imagination to solve things :)
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Gcmp, stop going around and giving people bad advice!

Saying that they should be playing with current gen stuff is just plain wrong! You need to learn how to optimise, how to use poly loops as efficiently as possible, and how to unwrap simple models before you even think abouy tackling current gen work.

Seriously 9 skulls keep doing what you are doing here :).
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Listen to Muzz. all of the basics that you are learning now will help you greatly when you are treading through those 2500 polygons, fixing errors. Keep going with these.
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Agreed with Muzz and shrew81. You get to understand the basics alot better.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Muzz wrote: »
    Gcmp, stop going around and giving people bad advice!

Saying that they should be playing with current gen stuff is just plain wrong! You need to learn how to optimise, how to use poly loops as efficiently as possible, and how to unwrap simple models before you even think abouy tackling current gen work.

Seriously 9 skulls keep doing what you are doing here :).

Muzz, dude, everyone is entitled to an opinion and why do you say it's bad advice? It works for me but not everything that works for you works for other people, maybe it's too hard for you to accept other peoples opinions.
    Anyway I cannot see any logic in your statement when you said learn to optimise! When your just starting out this is putting far too much pressure on a person, how are you supposed to optimise when you haven't got the experience making meshes/unwrapping?? imo that skill comes later on.
  • Shiraz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optimization is pretty damn important to know, its basically one of the fundamentals of game art, hell its pretty much what differentiates game art from anything else. Current gen stuff also requires a hell of alot of optimization . No point teaching yourself how to model when down the track the way you have been doing is very inneficient, then you would have to relearn everything.

Also level of spec does not have anything to do with artistic freedom i see no reason why you cant express it any fuller with low poly spec.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I think low poly is a great way to learn alot about modelling. It deffinately teaches you how to get the most out of your silohette. My first few models had no control over loops, polycount,poly density...they were bad.

On the other hand, doing really good low poly models can be tough, probably as almost as hard as a good hi poly model (note I said REALLY good lp)

It's a cool character anyway, looks like it's time to learn/work on texturing. Kindof looks like a bug crossed with a gorrilla.
  • Goldensly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting looking character. I'm looking forward to seeing how far you take this character. As for description, I would lean towards calling it a quadriped golem. Mostly because its using parts that found in the environment and grafting them together. Fun concept to play with.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    The overall look kinda reminds me of a four-legged version of the old Aura Battler Dunbine mecha...
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol I thought it was a pokemon.
    I seriously love your unity presentation.
    dunno where two-sided faces would be implemented in unity, but,
    you could possibly add a duplicate set of wings in there with the normals flipped. a bad hack, but It will look good, for now at least.
    c'mon man!
    update already:)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    shrew81 wrote: »
    lol I thought it was a pokemon.
    I seriously love your unity presentation.
    dunno where two-sided faces would be implemented in unity, but,
    you could possibly add a duplicate set of wings in there with the normals flipped. a bad hack, but It will look good, for now at least.
    c'mon man!
    update already:)

isn't that what the engine does anyway? That should work fine.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, but I think the question is
    "where is that little button/checkbox/switch/whatever that will make these planes two sided?!???"
    I dont have a real answer, but hell, i tried