Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

zbrush - Rock Tree WIP

A-Train
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
A-Train polycounter lvl 15
High Poly Organic asset in the works. Just started sculpting it out tonight for kicks. Just about finished wrapping up my hard surface high poly Nail Gun, so I thought i'd contrast it with something organic.

I've only played around with zbrush a bit before in a stream of conscious-loose way. I'm almost thinking to redo the zspheres and add a series of roots at the base. I tried adding a root as a subtool, but I don't like the look it gives (intersecting of two objects). So i'd rather do it out of one solid mesh.

rock%2Btree%2B1.jpg

Replies

• Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    Some nice shapes. I like the running bands in the middle of the left image.

On an unrelated note. I found your portfolio incredibly annoying to navigate; even though I thoroughly enjoyed the work displayed.
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    I can't really figure it out. But I like it! Looks like an Ithorian as a burn victim.

Ithorian.jpg
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D wrote: »
    Some nice shapes. I like the running bands in the middle of the left image.

On an unrelated note. I found your portfolio incredibly annoying to navigate; even though I thoroughly enjoyed the work displayed.

Thanks Rick D, i'll definitely have to put together a portfolio on a website in the new year. For now, guess it'll have to do.

@Gallows hahhaha, man that image of an ithorian is hilarious!!
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rock%2Btree%2B2b.jpg
    Started from scratch, different look. Haven't been working with refs.
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Test bake (normal, cavity, amb occ map) 3dsmax viewport:
    test.jpg

Also starting something new (probably some more alien-like organic assets) as they're pretty fun.
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rough texture idea. Going to add some molten lava to it. More to come.test3.jpg
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: Sculpting the rocks below tree now
    alien%2Brock%2Btree%2B01.jpg
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the thing that bugs me the most about this tree, are the little stubs, trees taper down a long ways until they stop, with roots, branches everything, this is what makes this look unnatural and blobby to me.

painty.jpg
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inspired from the "Art of Avatar"
    Great book for inspiration by the way. Check it out!

As this is just experimentation, i'm going to stay as far away from real trees as possible. Did quite a bit of that on Red Dead Redemption. Alien trees and weird imaginative stylized stuff is my cup-o-tea for experimental stuff of my own.

It's a project that let me fool around with zspheres 2, organic shapes, and try out a variety of brushes. I'm new to sculpting in zbrush.
  • A-Train
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coming back to this thing months later after having a brief chat with my old friend DrillerKiller. Wow this thing is weird hahaha. I do agree achillesian! The stubs look way blobby. Take a gander at my update below :)

Thinking back to when I did it a few months ago, I didn't finesse the details on the tips at all. I think on a next go at it I would definitely let the branches do exactly that and branch out. Ahhh alas, i've got other things on the go work-wise! I'll keep this baby on the back burner though, who knows.