Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Learning Environment Art

Pogimonz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Pogimonz polycounter lvl 18
hi, I believe this is my first post here.. lots of talented people here hope to get some help and offer help within the forums.

recently got into environment prop creation the last few months, and have been enjoying the learning process.

I'd please like to get some good and constructive crits on how I could improve my work. Maybe some advice regarding modeling, texturing and any technical stuff.

here's a few projects i've done, I'm doing a series of mini projects to get me familiar w/ the workflow. I'd like to gradually make more complicated game assets. Most of the work are done in 2 days.

pirateboxforum003.jpg
By pogimonz at 2009-12-21

vulneprofinal001.jpg

vulneprofinal003hardsur.jpg

vulneprofinal002constru.jpg

ha2finalver2.jpg

ha2construction.jpg

ha2texturesheets.jpg

ha3final.jpg

ha3textureconstruction.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, welcome to polycount, you've got off to a strong start - this is good stuff :)

I think the best piece is the yellow hydrant, it's very nicely textured with weathering and wear in appropriate places, nothing too noisy, but still nice and detailed. Quality stuff, I reckon.

The last hydrant doesn't look quite as good IMHO because it's a much noisier texture - I can't really tell what that red surface is meant to be (kinda looks like fibreglass because of all the scratches and lines, but that doesn't really make sense?).

The gun is decent but the specular seems almost non-existant, as a result the whole gun looks really matte and doesn't indicate what type of material it's made from very well. I'd bump up the specular and maybe even try to put an environment cubemap on there to fake some reflection on the parts that are meant to be metal.

The chest looks decent too but seems to suffer the same problem as the gun, in that the materials aren't really defined very well - is it made out of wood, plastic, metal, or what? I can't tell what the different parts are meant to be - again I think this is mainly because it has no evident specular changes.

In general it's good work though and I think with a little texture tweaking these could all be excellent pieces.

Keep it up! :)
  • vj_box
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you've got some slick stuff here bro,i would fully agree to MOP here on tweaking the materials to better have more definition. The hand gun piece also needs some more work when it comes to the normal map i believe,it sort of feels a bit too flat at the moment. Probably some weathering should add in that feel. And yes the spec maps for the actual metal feel :)