Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP - gangster character sculpt

Hey there, this will be my first zbrush sculpt which I intend to turn into a game ready character with normal maps. I've only ever used zbrush to add detail to a finished mesh (such as folds in jeans) with the topology already in place as created in 3Ds max. This will be a challenge.

This character will be realistic to an extend possible in games. I always think that slightly exaggerated characters always make a better impression. It will be a small-time ganster like chap with rugged features. Jason Statham will be my starting point. You've got to love him.

jason_statham.jpg

I also feel particularly inspired by the Street Cop character by Mashru Mishu. The most awesome thing ever. To hell with all the demons, trolls and elves.

street_cop_workflow_22.jpg

I've created a base mesh which I shall take into Zbrush to add muscles etc. I've tried to get some posture in there and I made the proportions accurate. I made this guy with the aid of a Gnomon Workshop tutorial by Ryan Kingsley.

basemesh_wip.jpg

Is the basic topology okay? Healthy proportions? C&C more than welcome!

Replies

• bbob
    The main thing I spotted is the awkward rotation of the hands in the base.

Think about how far you want this character to be able to move his limbs in each direction, and put everything in the midpoint. Slightly flying arms, and the hands rotated to 45 degrees forwards, palms facing equally much up and down is ideal for most characters that do not jump around and grab stuff up high. If you want something that should be able do that, refer to the standard T-Pose.

What you are looking for, is minimal deformation 99% of the time.

As for proportions, the head and torso is very big at the moment. You mentioned that you wanted exaggerated proportions so this is hard to crit on without a concept drawing or anything. But the neck most definately is more body builder than it is Jason Statham.

I did a little sketch to show you what I would change :)

2469e78.jpg