Home General Discussion

Looking to buy an entry level DSLR, tips?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater wrote: »
    Figured I would post here rather than start a new thread but.....

I just got the Sony Alpha A230 last night and I didn't see anyone mention it in this thread. Any reason behind that? Looks like the lenses are freakin' expensive as hell, but all I want is a wide angle and a decent telephoto lens. It came with the 18-55mm. It was only $450 and the Rebel XS was $550 so I had to be a cheap bastard :)

I think overall Canon/Nikon give you a little better image quality, and have a much wider range of lenses to choose from, so that is the reason most people go with them. Sony has some really cool tho, in-body image stabilization, while nikon/canon you have to buy special IS lenses. I'm sure that sony will be a very nice camera.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I think overall Canon/Nikon give you a little better image quality, and have a much wider range of lenses to choose from, so that is the reason most people go with them. Sony has some really cool tho, in-body image stabilization, while nikon/canon you have to buy special IS lenses. I'm sure that sony will be a very nice camera.

The Image Stabilization was what really sold it for me. I'm shaky as hell (all the damn coffee :P) I realize I'm going to lose some quality from it at slower shutters speeds, but if I really need to take those kind of shots, I'll get a tripod haha.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Sony uses minolta mounts. Also sony sensors are shared with other cameras, I believe some of the m appear in Nikons.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater wrote: »
    The Image Stabilization was what really sold it for me. I'm shaky as hell (all the damn coffee :P) I realize I'm going to lose some quality from it at slower shutters speeds, but if I really need to take those kind of shots, I'll get a tripod haha.

Yeah if i would have wanted to spend a little more and get a new camera, that sony would have warranted serious consideration. I ended up with a canon XT(350d) + accessories + 18-55mm kit lens + 50mm F1.8 prime lens for $400, which was my max budget =)

I have really shaky hands as well, but its turned out to be less of an issue. Its sucks with my ultra-compact P&S, as it has terrible iso performance(over 200 is unusable) and is pretty uncomfortable to hold/way too light to get a sturdy grip on it. On my 350, the weight/feel of it make it much easier to get a sturdy grip, the noise performance is much better, ISO 100-800 is great-good, and iso 1600 is still usable. Couple that with the fast F1.8 50mm, and you've got a really good solution to the low light/anti shake problem.

Reading reviews it looked like the canon had a little better iso performance than that sony, but your sony is still going to be miles ahead of a P&S.
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Reading reviews it looked like the canon had a little better iso performance than that sony, but your sony is still going to be miles ahead of a P&S.

Yeah i looked at the reviews and some comparison shots and they looked decent up to about 1600. I mainly want to shoot scenery and texture references so I hopefully won't have to use that high of an ISO (I say that now but once I really learn the ropes, I probably will :) ).

I'll wait until this second round of snow hits tomorrow night and I'll take some shots of the Amish country!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So after much thought, i've been looking at lots and lots of older 24mm, 28mm, 35mm nikon, vivitar, etc lenses in nikon mounts, m42 mounts, all around the $40-60 range or so, and then + $10-20 for adapters. I was pretty set on spending my birthday cash on this sort of setup, and really trying to learn to master one of these old lenses, i even got a cheap-o split image focus screen off ebay to help the process(which is cool, albeit harder than i thought it would be to get food results).

Anyway, after all this thinking and research into lens types, different mounts, different converters, it really appeared that there would be a good chance i would still just end up with something that didn't work, or i was too stupid to use, and just really isnt the grand value i had dreamt it up to be in my head. My wife became the voice of reason here and pretty much told me i should just get what i want, which was the EF 28mm 2.8, i thought that it would be trouble to get it for under $200, but i found one and won it today for $145 shipped! I'm super pumped, i think that is a pretty damn good deal, and am excited to get nasty with it....
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Bjørn Rørslett's site is a great place to check out lens reviews, especially older ai/ais lenses.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html#top1

Alot of mf nikkor lenses outperform the newer af ones, and if you can swallow manual focusing then they're great to use :)
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Necro!

My girlfriend got herself a 550D while I was in San Francisco, and I've been playing with it over the past week. I'd like to get a couple of nice lenses soon, but for now the kit lens that came with it (EF 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS) is proving to be surprisingly effective. A bonus (arguable?) is that it has pretty nice bokeh. Going to the zoo tomorrow, though, so I'll definitely be wishing I had a telephoto.

One question, though: is it possible to shoot RAW at a lower resolution than the 18MP of the sensor? The image quality is surprisingly clean at lower ISOs, and still somewhat workable at 3200 and 6400, but I honestly don't need the full 18MP, and at 25mb a pop for the RAW files, it gets a bit overwhelming.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    I know higher end canon models offer sRAW, you might try looking for that under the IQ section.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Durn, did a quick check online an. The 550d doesn't have sraw. Guess I'm stuck either dealing with ~25mb raws or using jpeg. :/
  • mrsincredible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to bump this old thread up to say thanks to all the previous posters. I haven't had a chance to read through all 7 pages yet but it helped me decide which DSLR to buy. I'm a complete photography noob and I only want it to take nicer photos of the kids with. The husband and I hope it will cure me from wanting to hire an expensive pro to take their photos, haha. They grow so fast, if I could afford it, I'd have a photog come twice a year!

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks to Ben Mathis in particular. I ended up buying a refurb 30D direct from Canon and a 30D kit w/ 18-55mm lens. Can't decide which to open! I plan to keep the other one unopened and re-sell it. I am waiting on my 50mm prime to arrive from ebay so the Kit is calling me so that I can use it right away! The difference was $100 for the kit w/ lens.
  • erik!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Necro!

I've a couple purchase opportunities in my area. I can get a Canon 20D with stock lens kit for $330 or a 350D with stock lens with an extra battery and 10GBs worth of CF cards for $300. Actually there are a couple other 350Ds with stock lenses available all hovering between $280-300.
    They seem pretty comparable to me, but it looks like the 20D has a larger sensor at 22.5x15 vs 22.2x14.8? Is that going to make much of a difference?