hightdagger2.jpg
hightdagger3.jpg

wireframe

hightdagger4.jpg

Replies

• Tocxeig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I started with texturing of my dagger. (self paint)
    And I hope it look good.
    hightdaggert2.jpg
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the design of this dagger, it looks awesome. I think it might help to play with some of the smoothing groups.
  • Tocxeig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The smoothing groups, I will change in the end
  • Tocxeig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay.
    I very bed in texturing .. xD
    but i learn it

hightdaggert3.jpg
  • Goldensly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting design. I figured the guard was going to be a dragon of some type :) I do agree about extending the blade length a little though since its looking very ceremonial it could work as is.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    maybe this will help

bonerblade_help_01.jpg

Draw over a render of your piece... and determine what the different materials are going to be. If it helps to overlay photo, do that. Get an idea of what this piece is going to feel like done.

The blade is interesting. Could be badass :).

Make good decisions about what the different materials are, and let the blade tell some kind of story. It won't read if you're just making a knife with a marble handle, a metal blade and hoping it looks cool.... you have to understand the fiction or story behind your art before it becomes something people can buy into.

I suggest too taking the different pieces into ZBrush and giving them some high-poly action.

Good luck man, hope this helps... keep going, you have some good stuff here.

another small note, try not to make blades with small metal connecting parts. Blades aren't really made that way. Even though it's fantasy, it's gotta be grounded in some kind of reality.

Rock on man,
    D
  • Tocxeig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ nfrrtycmplx
    nice idea thank you

After small change, it looks like this.
    I hoppe it better xD

dagger11copy11.jpg
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work on the dagger. Recognized it immediately.
    CncArt0907_24.jpg

I think the inset curve on the blade edge could use another division. You've only given it 4 segments when it could do with one or two more. You've spent a goodly amount of polys elsewhere, should go all out with this one.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    what's this blade from? that painting is much better than my hack job... still don't like the piece that connects the "guard" (not much of a guard :) ) to the blade... looks weird

with the new update -

I should have asked if this was a recreation of an existing blade, but the idea is the same if you're painting it yourself or using reference like the great reference posted by xenobond

So check it out.

1. Too low poly. and the polygon usage is not the best for something like this - if it's going to be a dagger, it's small... so i wouldn't model in the lip of the metal guard. There are some shapes that are getting lost/distorted shown in blue.

2. The handle looks long... not terrible but it changes the weight of the blade

3. If you're working from reference or from a piece of concept art. Don't stop painting the texture until it looks like the object you're referencing. The hard part is done for you (design/concept) for something like this, I'd suggest looking at threads like this one...

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=68416

lots of great info here.

If you suck at painting textures (as you said) I'd suggest doing what this guy is doing. and working on painting before trying to paint something on a model.

I may have started to make a point here and failed... but good luck. Peace!