Home Digital Sketchbooks

sketchbook: W

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
wasker polycounter lvl 7
Hello, I'm wasker, I draw pictures.

It's a base building for a RTS kind of game. The skulls are supposed to be stacked on the shelves at the sides of the crypt. Was thinking of getting some nice warm eerie glows from the candles and perhaps a cold light snaking out of the door when the player is building units from it.
crypts.jpg

Replies

• DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Nice sketch! I love RTS games so this is right up my alley :) Give us more!
  • FlyByKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome sketch, really liking your style Wasker! I'll be keeping a look out for your future postings :)
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Hello Wasker, you draw pictures well. Model that out!
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    darthnater - thanks man , here ya go :)

flybyknight - thank you, sir

gallows -Not well enough :) You'll get see some 3d from me in here aswell but I'll leave the main modeling tasks to the 3d guys in the team. I draw pikchurs it's what I do. Thanks for the visit and comments guys

Here's another prop/building for the bad guys.

altarsp.jpg
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Beeeeefcake huuuurrr! Hurrr! Durrrr!

beefcake.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    these are great! show me more. :)
  • FlyByKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker wrote: »
    Beeeeefcake huuuurrr! Hurrr! Durrrr!

beefcake.jpg
    This scares me more than the guy from silent hill! loving it! BEEEFCAAAKE! :)
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    bounchfx: thanks, here's moar for the masses.

FlyByKnight: hehe, thank you. I think the Silent hill designs are waaay stronger than my designs.

the ball on the chain is a censer ball, burning incense or something :poly142:

templars.jpg
  • FlyByKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any thoughts on doing a tutorial on your art process? I really like the knight and would love to see how you came to create him.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    damn-nice values on the metals. cage face guy is pretty rockin too
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Flybyknight: thanks dude, I might put together something for another sketch. I havent got any step by steps left for the knight because I have the nasty habit of flattening my layers every now and then. I attached some quick sillos I did for the character though.
    So yeah, this is basically how I would start any concept, unless I'm just doodling, in which case I go straight for colours and work out the design and silhouette on the fly. Keeping your silhouette in mind along with value patterns and composition is probably the most important elements (atleast in my frame of mind) of any design and later on temperature if you work in colour.

I would normally do a range of different designs so I have atleast one or two interesting designs to chose from. In this case I pretty much went for F's silhouette but I usually end up combining 2 or 3.

After that its just a matter of fleshing the silhouettes out with some other values. 'Locking transparent pixels' is pretty nifty when working directly from a silhouette. Establishing a good range of values is also important for the form and material to read as intended.
    For example; Metal will often have a greater range in values because of the reflectivite attributes of the material (and have short transistions between its' lights and darks) while clay or old leather will have much more uniform value patterns and preserve more of its local colour (that would be the Diffuse in 3d lingo) because it's less reflective.

Thinking in planes will also help you determine what values go where and so forth. Two planes with the same local colour and of the same material, facing the same direction will have the same value unless they are ;

- blocked by form and thus cast in shadow
    - being close to other planes and thus recieve more bounce light

More often than not, either of the above will apply to the plane you are working on and even if all the theory will help you when working from imagination it all boils down to what you think looks right.

I hope this helps. I'll try to remember to save a step by step of mah next doodle. :>

konstruct: thank you, sir!

so here are the sillos and a tiling floor texture I handpainted. I'm thinking of adding some plants in the space between the tiles.

warriorsillos.jpg

floordiffusesmall.jpg
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Such awesome little buildings and huts youre cranking out... I really gotta try my hand at doin stuff like that at some point as it looks so fun.

Do you just make a quick mockup grid of sorts? I always hesitate in starting things like that because I mess up with my perspective somehow D:

Now you just need to start combining these awesome sketches with equally awesome colour!
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    jackwhat - thanks man. Not really, mate. I just try to keep in mind what and where the lines should be parallel and from what angle the viewer will see them ingame.

hillscopy.jpg
  • FlyByKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker wrote: »
    ~bump

rtsbuildings.jpg
    loving this, kinda reminds me of the old warhammer fantasy style of artwork.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks, glad you like em, Flybyknight! Big fan of Warhammer :)

villages.jpg
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovely sketchbook you got going on here man! I really dig your characters, environments, and textures. Well..pretty much everything. Keep at it! :D
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    thanks Devin :>
    here's a quick character concept
    soldiahs.jpg
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Here he is again, and a side by side comparison with the sculpt so far!
    edit: forgot the image :>

pants2.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    wow man, nice works! last soldier is really nice.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Wonderful stuff, man! I'm loving all your medieval buildings the most.
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks conte and makkon <3

here's an update

trooperd.jpg