Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

From ZSphere to Character. Avatar-esque Na'vi....

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
....although it wasn't intentionally supposed to look like a Na'vi as I wasn't using reference however I was watching "The Making of Avatar" so something in my sub-conscious must have been busy at work trying to copy what I was watching.

Been messing around with ZSpheres lately and heres something I managed to do yesterday. Originally I didn't like the fact that I wasn't using a base mesh (which I have complete control over) but I think now I may consider working ZSpheres into my workflow a little more.

P.S - just realised that when I transposed the arms I forgot about the back of the elbows which has creased badly, my bad.

t556ip.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty cool. I like the overall proportions and the scale detail is nice.

The pose of the feet seems really stiff though, you have the arms in a fairly interesting pose but the legs are bent uncomfortably and the feet are pointing straight forwards, which makes him look a lot more boring than he could, I think.

Also I think you need to revisit his backside (as it were), it really doesn't look very natural or believable. Bums just don't look like that, I'm afraid. :)
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks MoP. I was originally going to do this to try out zspheres and then just throw it away but I think I might work on it some more and create a fully fledged character.

Definitely try and flesh him out more and fix that bum.
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Awh man, this body would be perfect for a beefy version of the Creature from the Black Lagoon. Looks awesome though.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    someone found that new crazy scale brush in zbrush!
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
    hey, it looks really cool, definitely dig it a lot, but from the looks the but could use some work, maybe add a bit of meat to it, and round it out a bit.. its a little too hard right now. Also the lower right calf, it might be the angle, but it is forming oddly where the two muscles come together, a little bit pushed too far to the right and not centered enough.. (also not digging the rough hatchmarks on the legs - but thats just my opinion) It is a really nice start though!
  • RKHansen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hep Baj,

Overall very nice - however, the buttocks needs a bit of work; cheeks and where the thighs join up to it. His groin area could also be pulled a little down in the front to create a softer overall silhouette blend between the legs.

Ras

PS. embrace the zSpheres.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback.
    someone found that new crazy scale brush in zbrush!

Its brilliant!!!!

15d47m0.jpg

I fixed the bottom....and then covered it up with a loin cloth (d'oh). Bulged out the muscles a little bit and then increased the quantity of the scales down the arm.

I decided that I didn't want the form to get lost in lots of clothing, armour, etc so I tried to keep that to a minimum, making the main body the focus. Because of his large form (particularly his hands), I decided to make his claws bigger (almost werewolf like), so these would be his primary weapon.

Unfortunately i'm going away for the next two weeks so I wont be able to start on the low poly until then.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome proportions there.

His thighs look soooo exaggerrated that it looks weird at first glance.

Watching.