Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Castle Interior- UDK

buddikaman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys,

Here are some early shots of a castle interior module set im working on. Let me know what you think!

jsk961.jpg

11wcb3s.jpg

21diirr.jpg

-Buddikaman

Replies

• gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Can we some of the modular assets on their own? And I presume the lighting in WIP - though as it stands its very flat.

The set is looking pretty good. Some more material work is needed to really define surfaces, and some pieces look a bit blurry (pixel density does not seem to be uniform).

Looking forward to updates.

-Tyler
  • ngs616
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work man I really like it. When you have the lighting finished this is gonna look awesome.

I would also like to see the modular assets. I'm going to be making some medieval interiors soon as well and could gain some valuable knowledge from seeing this scene broken down into pieces.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, yeah the lighting is definatly placeholder atm.

Here are the majority of the module assets of these particular shots.

2wd98hy.jpg

-Buddikaman
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    fucking sick man. totally inspires me.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    the textures and model look great man
  • Soft_Hands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really digging this stuff man. Got any wires?
  • ngs616
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work. You really did a lot with those pieces. Thanks for posting them!
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice looking stuff. could use a bit more contrast to give it some pop imo, the final images are kind of flat, especially for something supposedly lit by flames braziers. The modular pieces themselves really really nice, just some lighting changes would make it shine.
  • CounterSeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CounterSeal polycounter lvl 10
    Assuming the lighting is a WIP, this seems to be on its way to being a very solid piece. Having the advanced lighting post processes available in the new UDK doesnt hurt either. Lookin' forward to this when it's finished.
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    The pointed stick barriers look very incongruos with the rest of the piece, the texture work looks great though!
  • c0ldhands
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    c0ldhands polycounter lvl 15
    It looks cool dude, could use some lighting but that I guess is gonna come later. Only thing I would point out, and this is a matter of taste, is that there is alot of tribals in both walls, roof and floor, pretty excesive.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stairs are a go~

34eqph5.jpg

2py185w.jpg

-Buddikaman
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    to different scales in density details, some patterns are way to big whereas some details or patterns are to tiny in scale.
    Also most corners are to clean and super sharp like 3d graphics polygon sharp. Add some dirt or darkness spots there in the texture to make it blend in better together without giving the impression of hard edges and polygons.

Except for the statue colors are working nice together. As for the composition and rendering setup (in the engine) maybe more contrast and a somewhat darker environment so that shadows and the colored lights can work better.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More modularity.

2i962x.jpg

-Buddikaman
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    This really looks awesome! I really enjoy the floors and ceilings!

One thing I noticed about your staircase is your brick work. I'm not an architect, so I could be wrong, but I think most often the bricks are always level, and not on a diagonal. Goodluck! Great work! Here are two examples of what I mean:

34eqph5.jpg

thursday_069_mid.jpg
  • psychoticprankster
    I love this interior man it looks awesome and as someone said it is inspiring.
  • Gallows
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gallows polycounter lvl 9
    Looks awesome so far, I just think some of the colors should pop a bit more.
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gah you make it look so easy, nice
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah unfortunately the bricks are seamless but not tilable, which showcases a huge seam if i keep them straight parallel to the horizon. :(

Update- fixed stairs.

2mh8s4k.jpg

-Buddikaman
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Do you have a skylight somewhere in your scene? The lighting still looks flat, skylights will do that :) Everything else looks great though!
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater wrote: »
    Do you have a skylight somewhere in your scene? The lighting still looks flat, skylights will do that :) Everything else looks great though!

The only thing i can think of is Global Illumination is turned on, im pretty sure thats whats causing it. I am still new to Unreal lighting.

-Buddikaman
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GI shouldn't be making things look flat. Maybe you're normal maps need multiplied?
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh you mean the detail looks flat? How would i go about multiplying my normals? ;D

-Buddikaman
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Create a constant3Vector in the material editor, set the values to something like 1.3,1.3,.7 (some people even put 0 in the Blue channel, but I don't). then create a multiply node. Connect the normal map and the vector to the multiply node and then connect its output to your normal slot.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok Thanks ill try that.

So overall, you think my normal details are to flat?

-Buddikaman
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some of them could use a boost, yes. Like the designs on the ceiling areas (not the ceiling itself, but the part right under them).
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    I'd scrap the stone walls altogether. You have nice ornate detailings that work fairly well with a capeted (or tiled?) floor. The big clunky stones just don't fit. Should be relatively easy to replace though and i liked the colors you had going on, maybe you could do something cool with granite mixed with another stone to create ornate designs, *shrug*
    GRANITE-SLAB-EmeraldGreen.jpg
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i added a noise overlay normal to everything and increased the bump.. I think one reason certain peices are looking flat is because of the diffuse not showcasing highlights. ILl have to go back and fix that soon.

264nnns.jpg

-Buddikaman
  • stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is my 1st post on poly count so feel free to disreguard what i say, But the verticle parts of the stairs might look a bit better if they didnt have the same texture as the rest of the floor, and maybe model a small lip onto each stair to give the effect that the stairs are huge slabs of marble on top of a brick structure.

just a thought
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, that looks better :) Maybe break up that statue that fell. It looks funny just laying on its head haha
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stocko2k wrote: »
    This is my 1st post on poly count so feel free to disreguard what i say, But the verticle parts of the stairs might look a bit better if they didnt have the same texture as the rest of the floor, and maybe model a small lip onto each stair to give the effect that the stairs are huge slabs of marble on top of a brick structure.

just a thought

Not a bad idea. I went ahead and fixed the stairs up so the normal gives the illusion that there is a lip, as shown here.

ilvbkx.jpg

Thanks!

-Buddikaman
  • stocko2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks awesome man having the break in texture on the stairs looks really effective, now i think the only thing i could suggest to improve is maybe a bit of dirt in the seam where the verticle and horizontal meet.

but that would be something for the entire scene, seeming as thats where dirt would be most noticible
  • Fang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fang polycounter lvl 7
    I love this because I'm trying myself to nail it, creating modular buildings specifically.

I seem to have trouble getting the scale correct from the beginning, which is quite annoying.

Good luck with this though!
  • raiskul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking sick reminds of main building in soul reaver 2 combined with the palace in prince of persia two thrones...only crit is that the design on the floor tiles just seems to be over used, try making patterns with it. Also I would take it off of the stairs they don't really look right to me with the pattern on them, the rug does them more than enough justice.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really nice work so far. I like all the detail everywhere, it's almost too busy yet it gives a very rich feel to the set.

The rug on the stairs needs a ending trim/edge to it at the bottom, right now it sort of ends in the middle of a texture tile and doesn't look quite right.

Don't forget to punch up the contrast in your lighting as you move forward with this. You can accomplish this by lowering the Environment Intensity and/or using a darker Environment Color in the Lightmass settings of your map's World Properties. Then crank up the intensity of the light coming from the windows and torches.

Have you done much work on your Specular textures and SpecularPower textures or values in your materials? They need to be used to help break everything up, right now all your objects look like they're made of the same material.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for feedback guys!

Castle door wip

25fhtfc.jpg

-Buddikaman
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ...and another.

orrsle.jpg

-Buddikaman
  • 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spec on that door is weird. seems like the metal part and the wooden part have the same spec values.

overall though its looking pretty good. lighting just needs to be redone i think. it seems very very flat and boring right now.
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah you where right, the spec was a little messed up. Went and fixed it. Ill work on lighting soon, thanks.

33ubh35.jpg

-Buddikaman
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The doors have the perfect amount of wear on them. I think it needs a handle or knob though ha ha
  • ngs616
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those doors are awesome. keep it up!
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Few paintings i made for decoration.

2guyw44.jpg

dfx4kj.jpg

-Buddikaman
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those frames are amazing! Did you model those? If so, I wanna see some wires :)
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater wrote: »
    Those frames are amazing! Did you model those? If so, I wanna see some wires :)

Haha, na i did not model them, i actually painted a greyscale in photoshop and ran it through crazybump. Im pretty happy with the results though.

-Buddikaman
  • Ryan Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryan Smith polycounter lvl 11
    DUDE. your shit is AWESOME.

but your LIGHTING! this set piece has the potential to be something great, you need to really look into emissive lighting for your windows, and make that much much higher contrast. UDK's lightmass is an unbelievable tool, i'm sure you'll be able to set something up really simple with just a few lighting tricks
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Virtuosic wrote: »
    DUDE. your shit is AWESOME.

but your LIGHTING! this set piece has the potential to be something great, you need to really look into emissive lighting for your windows, and make that much much higher contrast. UDK's lightmass is an unbelievable tool, i'm sure you'll be able to set something up really simple with just a few lighting tricks

Agreed. Lightmass takes care of the hard stuff for you :) All you need to do is set up your emissive textures and some point lights and it will make it look nice. I forget what thread its in, but Kevin Johnstone recommends brightening your textures a lot more than you normally would to give lightmass some more color to work with.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    great start,
    you need better spec maps tho. and your painting looks flat and glued on the wall..like a poster instead of a heavy painting :)
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Hi great great work, Like your assets.

One question : did you turn the ambiant occlusion on in UDK? it would be great beacause there's no shadow and everything seems flat...
  • buddikaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im trying to get a handle on lighting, in the meantime i went and did a grunge pass to all textures to get rid of that "clean" look i had going. Sorry if its hard to tell in this pic.

fp6knt.jpg

-Buddikaman
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Looking really nice. Got some really nice assets in there.

For crits:

Lighting can be punched a lot more (looks like its more or less evenly light everywhere except the outside is slightly darker. That fire brazer is the only light in this room so you should light it that way, have it as the main sorce of light and let lots of things fall into darkness around it. Will give it a really nice mood and look. Dont drop them into too much darkness or you wont be able to see your work.

Your door and and a few of those other modular brick peices still look blury. The bricks are not being defined enough. Your wall is poping out nicley, your other stone work is not.

Got to say the first thing I thought of when seeing this was that it was a Harry Potter Castle