Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old, wooden bed -- Mod asset

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Flaringo polycounter lvl 11
Ok, so I've started this mod project with my friend. It's pretty much the first time we ever mod something, so here it goes.

So, here's a bed I'm making for it. I haven't got far yet, but I figured I'd make a post here so (hopefully) someone will catch me before I do something retarded.

It's a bed. This particular bed is supposed to be wooden, old and beat up. The mattress is a big, brown linen sack filled with potatoes. The pillow will be the same, most likely.

Anyways, let's get to it:

bedviewportwire.png

bedviewpoer.png

Please tell me if you spot anything that looks odd, or just plain wrong. I'm also open to any suggestions.

Thanks!

EDIT: I realize that the potato sack mattress looks, well, nothing like a potato sack. I'll keep working on it.

EDIT: God damnit, wrong forum section. It'd be awesome if someone could move this, as I imagine posting duplicate threads is frowned upon. :)

Replies

• odium
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Ouch... What made you think adding a few hundred polygons to the broken beams end was a good idea, but keeping everything else so basic was ok...? I don't even know where to start with this :p So before I suggest anything, what mod? Whats the target environment and what spec are you working with, i.e. diffuse only? normal/spec/diffuse? Third person? First person? RPG...?

A little more info can tell us if this is totally under detailed or way over detailed.
  • Flaringo
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent!

Alright, so this is the first prop I make that's not a cube or a badly textured trash can made to test how I import models into games, and I'm sure it shows.

I just want to mention that this is WIP on an early level. The bed "frame" is just something basic I threw together for a quick base, while the broken beam was one of the first things that just sort of popped up in my head when I thought of how the bed would look. I'm still trying to figure out how I should put detail in to the rest of the bed (still open for suggestions! :D).

With that said, it's basically a very small and pretty simple mod, so me and my friend can get familiarized with tools used for modding, and modding in general. We're using the UDK (so I guess it's not technically a mod at all... hmm). The bed will be placed inside a fairly small cave, along with an NPC and some other props. It's a first person shooter.

I'm probably going for diffuse and spec. I might do a normal map for my weapons but as you can tell I have very little experience, so I'll see about that.

"I don't even know where to start". You make it sound bad. Really bad. It's not that bad, right? ... right? :D

Anyways, thanks for your reply!
  • Ro-Sham-Bo
    I agree with odium on this one, loss the crazy poly number on the broken board, you can always get away with adding like a few planes with a splintery wood texture with an alpha to give the effect your going for. Another thing to note, it looks like your model is made from like 6 pieces i would say you need to attack the legs to the bed and make it all one mesh for the most part, the sheet can be a separate mesh but there is no real need for all the pieces to be separate.

On a different note, make sure you think about like the time period and your styling, This is going to be in a cave so i figure it wouldn't be the best construction or even made out of the same types of wood, maybe parts have been broken off and replaced with whatever they can find. Might give the piece a little more character. But thats just my opinion and im not sure what your going for. Good luck and keep at it.
  • Flaringo
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay. Hopefully I've made some improvements. I've removed the million polygons on the broken board. There's still some, but not as many as last time. Hope it's not too much.

I've also made some general "crooked-ness" on the whole model, so it doesn't look as perfectly even as the previous version.

I liked Ro-Sham-Bo's idea about broken off parts replaced with other things, so I broke one of the legs and stuck a baseball bat on there. I'm thinking I might have it either tied or duct-taped to the bed. How could I go about this without wasting too many polygons? Should I use a plane and just texture it to make it look like what I want?

Yes, a baseball bat taped to a bed in a cave makes no sense, but for now, it isn't supposed to. I'm just pulling stuff out of my head at this point.

So thanks for your comments and crits, guys! I appreciate it.

EDIT: This post is nothing without pictures! So here you go:

bedviewportwire2.png

bedviewport2.png