Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Freight Car WIP

Spur
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Spur polycounter lvl 6
Hi everyone, new member here and in need of some help! I'm currently trying to finish up some material to use in my first portfolio. I thought I would start off with this old model I worked on last Jan. I originally started it for MSTS1 and after doing a little texture work, the project was then put on a back burner and hasn't been touched since. I've decided to start on it again in hopes of having a nice model to use in my portfolio. So here's where I am. Currently the model is roughly 4500 tri. What I would like to do is update it to more current standards, than MSTS1 lol, by adding some more detail, normal and spec maps, etc. Anyway here are a few screen shots of some reference, where I was at with an original render from last Jan, then some wire frames included as well.

Thoughts and questions...

At 4500 tri, what are your opinions? Would you bump it up and include more detail for a nice game piece? I was thinking possibly along the lines of 6-7k.

Currently all the grab irons are squared to save the count. I was thinking of possibly rounding those out and definitely reworking the trucks by adding the springs and casting details with normal maps. I'm also looking to include all the rivet detail, etc, in normal maps as well.

Does anyone have any ideas, advice or suggestions. Right now I'm looking to optimize the mesh before moving on.

Best Regards,
Jim

Reference...
pictures_20114_MBWoodchipHopper2000.jpgpictures_41039_IMG_4217.jpgpictures_20114_MBWoodchipHopper1402.jpg

Original render... (bad render, but it at least gives an idea with a little texture)
n1166588382_30049383_379.jpg

Wire Frame
WF1.jpgWF2.jpgWF3.jpg

Replies

• Spur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spur polycounter lvl 6
    Here's a quick update on a new high poly wheel. The roller bearing needs some major reworking and details after finding a better reference picture.

12_14_Update_1.jpg
  • Rang3r1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would say, create a high poly and bake it down. That would allow you to do away with those side panel "bumps." Also, some weird triangulation you have going on those wheels.
  • Spur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spur polycounter lvl 6
    Rang3r1 wrote: »
    I would say, create a high poly and bake it down. That would allow you to do away with those side panel "bumps." Also, some weird triangulation you have going on those wheels.

Thanks! Yeah I'm definitely going to trash the original low poly wheels. Would you keep geo for the ribs or bake those as well?