Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fantasy Weapon: Shield

Hi all =)

Im working on making a high poly shield.
This will be use as a normal map for my low poly.

Here are the references (from AION)
98853601.jpg 92231606.jpg

and here is my model:
ss5y.jpg

ss4b.jpg

ss3k.jpg

>>in progress<<

Please Give me feedback so I can make this better =)

Replies

• Kimono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimono polycounter lvl 10
    because of all the funky errors on the edges I'd like to refrain from saying anything before you post a wireframe of the mesh before subdivision :poly121:
  • lxxwishxx1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just uploaded a new version of the model ^_^
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    If this is your hi-res version, I'd smooth out some of those curves. You may be intending for it to look metallic and sharp, but it is coming of as lacking the necessary divisions. If you ARE trying to go for that chiseled metal look, try going from soft curves into hard curves. If you avoid going from hard curve to hard curve, I think it will look more like the intentional design and less like modeling errors.

If that doesn't make any sense or you need an example, let me know. I can explain things poorly sometimes :)

Besides that, I like what you have so far. It reminds me alot of Link's shield, but that may not be a good thing based on your concept
  • lxxwishxx1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2nd updated

low poly model & UV

modelback.jpg

modelwire22.jpg

model11c.jpg

uvwq.jpg
  • lxxwishxx1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin wrote: »
    If this is your hi-res version, I'd smooth out some of those curves. You may be intending for it to look metallic and sharp, but it is coming of as lacking the necessary divisions. If you ARE trying to go for that chiseled metal look, try going from soft curves into hard curves. If you avoid going from hard curve to hard curve, I think it will look more like the intentional design and less like modeling errors.

If that doesn't make any sense or you need an example, let me know. I can explain things poorly sometimes :)

Besides that, I like what you have so far. It reminds me alot of Link's shield, but that may not be a good thing based on your concept

Thank you so much for your feedback =)
    I've rounded up the curves ^_^
  • lxxwishxx1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've round out the curves and work on the back side =)

fmodel1.jpg

fmodel2.jpg
  • lxxwishxx1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are my texture, normal, spec and AO maps and the 2 UVWs

map1q.jpg

uvwy.jpg

Materials in unreal

materialv.jpg

Render with Light,

I still have to offset (re-texture) the ground and wall planes >_<

render1f.jpg

render2m.jpg
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    nice. tbh if your going to show it in unreal. either set it up in a more neutral backdrop.. so nothing distracts from it.. OR put more effort into picking better environment textures.. the unreal engine makes it easy for you.. so dont let yourself down :)
  • philnolan3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks good, I would have used more depth though. The reference looks like it would have been a great candidate for sculpting in something like 3D-Coat.