Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fn2000

Hello fellow polycounters.
First off I am using max9, xnormal and photoshop.

So I have been working on this model off an on for sometime now. It is technically my first normal map for a mechanical model. I have done a few other simpler objects since starting this and they all came out fine, but this one is still giving me a headache. I spent the last couple days go over this thing a piece at a time and trying to perfect the normal map and for the most part I think I have, or at least it is a drastic improvement from the first attempt at it.

It still has a few problem areas that despite my best efforts I can't seem to get just right.

Part of the problem is that I built the original low poly and high poly before I really understood how things affect the normal map process. I have tried correcting these areas and making adjustments accordingly, but it is kind of like fighting an uphill battle.

I would like to sell this one on Turbo Squid so it really needs to be top-notch. I know that some people are fanatics about guns, especially one like this. I didnt model this one to be a replica but since I would like to sell it, it should be close I think.

Anyway I could use some C&C on this and maybe some pointers on how I can improve the small errors still in the map.

The Highpoly
Highpolyfront.jpg

Highpolyside.jpg

The Low poly

Wires.jpg

Fn2000-UVS.jpg

FN2000_normals.jpg

Fn2000_side.jpg

Fn2000_sideClose.jpg

Fn2000_front.jpg

Fn2000_trigger.jpg

Fn2000_back.jpg

Fn2000_backclose.jpg

Thx!

Replies

• mathes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you exploding your model for the bake? Moving pieces away from other chunks that might interfere should help a lot here.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like you are rendering the normal as a bump, make sure when you go to the bump channel that you chose normal instead of regular texture or whatever it is, i havent used max in a while.

Other than that, it looks like you dont have enough supporting goemetry around detail areas and your projection is getting all skewed, try adding in some more geometry around the skewed areas to normalize/even out the smoothing in those areas so the projection is more accurate. Also, not sure if you're just using the default settings with the cage modifier but you may want to reset and redo the "push" thing.

And yeah, exploding your mesh, set keyframes and move intersecting objects away in both the high and low to avoid the renderer tracing one object onto the other.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ya I am, I detached and exported most of the pieces one at a time and then reassembled it all in photoshop, but i didnt try actually moving them to a different location. I tried doing it without exploding it and it was a nightmare, plus it wouldn't let me use a cage.
    Once I broke it up the cage worked fine for all the piece except the trigger and safety for some reason. Whenever I try and use a cage xnormal tells me that it has the wrong amount of vertexes, even though it is the exact same mesh. Not sure what the issue there is. I tired rebuilding the meshes and the uvs but to no avail.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well my normal map is in the bump channel with the map set to NormalBump, not a regular bump map. Is it supposed to go somewhere else?
    I tried adding geo in the problem areas and it cleaned it up some but I didnt want to go overboard especially since those areas are pretty tiny, but I will try and add some more. I will also try actually moving the pieces away from each other to bake them.
  • Arac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arac polycounter lvl 8
    I think you need to flip the green channel of your Normal map.

If you don't know how to: In photoshop go to channels (next to layers), select the green channel, invert it (ctrl + i), select the top channel again (RGB) and save
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the green channel has already been flipped. If I flip it back it would be ugly im sure lol
    Anyway reworked the mesh on the low poly alot and ended up adding about 1k polys. Still at a reasonable 2528 polys overall. Vast improvement though so it certainly is worth the polys. Still have a few problem areas like the front, but going to retopo the front of the stock and then rebake it tomorrow. c&c would be welcome. thx.

Update1Fn2000_back.jpg?w=60edde53&sjid=145755073

Up1Fn2000_front.jpg?w=283a0adf&sjid=145755080

Update1Fn2000_side.jpg?w=25318f1c&sjid=145755074

Update1Fn2000_sideclose.jpg?w=c2776265&sjid=145755076
  • Godemper0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's all smoothing group issues. max does NOT like having your whole model on one smoothing group. if you break it up into different groups (i.e. anywhere there is a change in surface tangent of like 70* say) then when you project your normals again, it will look much better. I also like using a small offest with a push modifier, to keep the lowpoly a bit more contained in the high and not have to mess with the cage as much. Just my advice
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    smoothing groups you say... well I will have to try that. So used to always putting everything on one smooth group that i didnt think of that. thx.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well made some decent progress. thx to everyone's help. I managed to get most of the bad areas cleaned up and most of the seam issues taken care of. There are few spots still that I will touch up on the normal map as I progress with the color map, but dont want bake normals anymore lol, this piece has taken to long and must move on either way.

NormalsDoneFN2000.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are you doing scanline renders with normals baked in XN, if so... NO!! dont, do that =)

The scanline renderer expects normals baked in max, and anything else is going to look worse, and you may be "tweaking" stuff to work in the scanline, when its actually better in realtime.

read this thread to get a better understanding: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=68173&page=4
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Godemper0r wrote: »
    it's all smoothing group issues. max does NOT like having your whole model on one smoothing group. if you break it up into different groups (i.e. anywhere there is a change in surface tangent of like 70* say) then when you project your normals again, it will look much better. I also like using a small offest with a push modifier, to keep the lowpoly a bit more contained in the high and not have to mess with the cage as much. Just my advice

Suggesting he should use smoothing groups/hard edges, and then also that he should usee offset instead of cage is particularity bad advice. If you're using hard edges, and you DONT use cage projection breaks at the edges creating bad seams. If you do use cage, the projection mesh is averaged and you wont get any edge errors.

Just make sure that for every hard edge, you also have a split in your uvs, or else you will end up with artifacts along the edge.

I dont think he's rendering in max anyway tho.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I always render in mental ray. Why?... ill read the thread over
  • Shiraz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If your making it for real time then use a real time shader like Xoliuls (spelling) that way you get a much much much better idea on what it is going to look like in engine. It frustrates me too see people use scan line or mental ray for anything other than grey box models.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    I like the model but the normals are weird as others have tried helping you with, but for me the weapon is just the ugliest thing I've ever seen really.
  • Godemper0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Suggesting he should use smoothing groups/hard edges, and then also that he should usee offset instead of cage is particularity bad advice. If you're using hard edges, and you DONT use cage projection breaks at the edges creating bad seams. If you do use cage, the projection mesh is averaged and you wont get any edge errors.

Just make sure that for every hard edge, you also have a split in your uvs, or else you will end up with artifacts along the edge.

I dont think he's rendering in max anyway tho.

Either way he should do different smoothing groups, i was trying to keep it vague so that the advice could be used with whatever projection he's doing. And yes, he should break up the uv islands to accommodate the different smoothing groups, i just didn't feel like typing every little caveat and technique involved in the process. I wasnt saying that he should use the offset for projection instead of a cage, i was saying to offset the geometry with the push modifier.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I don't see what is so ugly about it. To me it looks almost the same as the highpoly model, which is the desired result no? its not quite as smooth as the highpoly, but i dont want to add any more geo if possible. I know the standard shader isnt that exciting, but since I want to sell it on Turbo squid as a game ready model it is supossed to be shaded with a standard shader. Its one of the requirements for being game ready certified. I suppose there is nothing wrong with showing it off with a different shader. Haven't use that xoliuls shader yet. I take it that is one I need to download?
    And on the smoothing groups.. yah that was a bad idea, I tried it a little and the result were very horrible so I quickly did away with that.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.laurenscorijn.com/viewportshader

very nice shader. I will give it a try for the beauty shots and stuff, but pretty sure I can't submit it with it, but not sure. maybe submit 2 versions, one with and one without.