Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Street Scene

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
alexl polycounter lvl 10
I'm calling this done as I've got to move on, any more feedback would be appreciated though as I know the scene is far from perfect.

alexluong_ttalley_01.jpg

alexluong_ttalley_01tex.jpg

Original Post
Working on a scene based off a piece of artwork from the book Cannabis Works by Tatsuyuki Tanaka, I am building the scene in UDK.
Still early stages yet but I'm hoping to get a decent solid piece for the portfolio out of this, looking forward to some critiques! (even though theres not much to critique yet I guess).
Currently just making props and baking normals/AO, a couple more props and I think I'll be ready to improve the lighting and get texturing.

alexluong_ttalley_wip01.jpg

The original artwork can be found here

Oh and yes I am aware of the strange blotches of colour spread across the bottom of my building modules, I've been trying to sort that one out for awhile, seems like lightmass is doing something funky with my lightmaps in some places. :(

Update Post #1
Update Post #2
Final Post

Replies

• Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    You should alter the windows and broken glass a bit. It looks good, but looks too much like you cloned all your elements and moved them down a few units.
  • ES_139
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great start, looking forward to updates.
  • osman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 18
    Some( I think most) of the blotches won't be visible when an actual texture is applied. This is looking really good, looking forward to the textures.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Not keen on the paving design, a bit too oblong and boring, other than that very nice work indeedy!
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Looking great so far, no crit from me!
  • SnarG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I first glanced at that image I thought it was a sort of washed out reference photograph. It wasn't until after I read the top block of text and looked again that I realised it was the WIP - bloody nice start.

In fact, I checked out your blog and the entire thing is full of great stuff, or as they say on the internet, "it's full of win".
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    This very much reminds me of the recently aired "The Prisoner" on AMC, for some reason.

No crits so far - it's looking great. The diffuse texturing is really going to make or break it, since it already looks tight.
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    How is the scene divided up... like how many different normal maps will you render? This is looking solid so far. I'm eager to see it textured. :)
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Daaark wrote: »
    You should alter the windows and broken glass a bit. It looks good, but looks too much like you cloned all your elements and moved them down a few units.

basically his making everything modular, this is imo a perfect way to make a game art scene.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    Daaark wrote: »
    there should be a way breaking up the tiling without broken glass, i mean if you use it you usually dont want your windows broken, and not every building is abadoned
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    The concept's air condition unit is much more interesting then yours, I think you could push that if anything.

Looks great though, love how it could be mistaken for a standard high res environment.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    looks very good.

I just think that u got too much geometry detail in some places.
    For example, rings on pipes could be as Normal map. Same concerns division seams on vertical facade sections.

The lighting is already pretty cool :)
  • alexl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexl polycounter lvl 10
    Not been feeling too motivated lately so it's been going abit slowly, must force myself to finish this one though. Heres what I've got so far but I'm not too happy with it so far as I think my texturing is sucky. Some things are still untextured.

alexluong_ttalley_wip02.jpg

@GCMP: Agreed, not liking the floor either. Will most likely change.
    @Arrangemonk: Yeah your right, I need to think up some other ways to break up the tiling, just need to figure out what first :(
    @Chaosquack: Changed :)
    @Matroskin: Yeah your right, I think I'll bake those rings down in the normal map, but I think I might then get some issues with lightmap seams :S, I'll give it a try anyway and see what happens. As for the vertical pillar seams, not sure what you mean, their not geometry but normal mapped, and I'll try to make them look less seamy I guess.

Will probably change the window design, same with the floor. Will redo the curb, looks kind of stupid. Not too sure about where I'm going with colours, scene needs some more assets too as it looks rather empty.

@Xoliul below: Yeah your right, needs some foreground elements I think.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    That looks fantastic man, very inspiring. You plan on adding some interesting foreground element(s) ?

Also very cool how I recognized it from Cannabis works (and not exactly, more stylewise), without reading it in the first post. Great job at capturing that!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The textures look good so far. I know your not done but it almost looks like mirrors edge minimalism right now.

I'm excited to see this finished.
  • Titus S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is so damn awesome!

I can not wait to see more!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Great scene. The lighting really sells it. The blotchy lightmap artifacts you mentioned, may actually be helpful for the scene. Makes it appear dirty. Nice work.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, this is looking great, nice work man. I can't wait to see this finished.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    @ broken windows again:
    since it looks like an industrial building, these ofthen have broken windows that are repaired with cardboard, or some windows that are covered by furnitore or stuff from the inside and dirt
    and , yeah, you can break lots of tiling with stuff behind the windows^^

btw coming along nicely looking forward to the finished product
  • sampson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sampson polycounter lvl 9
    Really liking this so far. the lighting is sexy
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    alexl, you have a great portfolio, nice job
    one thing i would like to add, is that most of the time i know its better to do more small noises to not make everything too repetitive. But I guess that having some a bit more larger marks or dirt would help. Maybe in form of decals?
  • alexl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexl polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah, will definitely get some decals in there bugo. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestions arrangemonk, will throw in some makeshift repairs to sort out those broken windows.
  • Boyo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Waw!!! Wonderful, really!!
    My opinion (but it's personal) : The minimalism is a really good point here... I really like the monochromatic texture with just a pop of saturation, it make your picture really vibrating.
    Don't add too much details, it may broke that feelings... But, as i said, it's personnal...

It's a strong piece (can i say that??)!
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    this is really good.

the only thing that throws me of are those corrugated metal roofs. they seem a bit stiff/lifeless compared to the rest. maybe get some secondary shape into them besides the /\/\/\/\/\/\/\ - pattern?
  • Scott_W
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scene looks fantastic :D

The *one* thing I would like to see more of is the blue light from the sky. I can see hints of it in your first image, but it would be nice if the blue were a bit more punchy with more saturation. Only because I have a personal preference for heavy sky color in shadowed areas. Other than that, it's awesome!
  • alexl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexl polycounter lvl 10
    @motives: I tried to think of stuff I could add but it had me stumped, I did end up bending the metal sheets slightly in places to make it less straight but I'm all ears for any ideas.
    @Scott_W: Yeah the blue isn't too strong in my shadows, I'm not sure how I can increase the intensity of that, will have to find out.

Latest update, I think I'm almost finished bar a few small things, will probably get a crack decal going on in the floor tiles. Will need to improve the glass too, doesn't look right to me.

alexluong_ttalley_wip03.jpg
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    MIND STATUS: BLOWN

Lighting is simply fantastic.
  • erikb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great job man, you must definitely finish this, looks to be your strongest environment piece yet?
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    WHoa- this is getting cool

some suggestions:
    the corrugated metal roofing, and metal frame work could benefit from some extra tris to bang em up a bit, make them look like heavy things have fallen on them, or people have maybe been climbing around on them. right now they just look too perfect.

On the perfect note, a lot of your shapes (pipes, windows, columns/trims) are razor sharp straight. It might be nice to drag some verts around/ add some controll loops to bang up the overall scene.

Also I feel you could push the grime a bit further. i get that your going for a cleaner, bleached look, but i feel a harsher grunge in select spots would help the image out in the contrast dept.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Great updates. I agree with what was said earlier about everything having that "copy paste" look, but with what you've added, I don't think that's a problem anymore.

UPDATE MORE!!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Really nice update8)
    Agree on the tin roofs and maybe rip a plank off that wooden palette too.

ps: where in the uk are you?
  • alexl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexl polycounter lvl 10
    @Konstruct: Thanks for the advice, I busted a few bits and bobs and tried to make things a little less straight like the pipes, stairs and corrugated metal.
    @GCMP: I'm from Nottingham.

I'm calling this done as I've got to move on, any more feedback would be appreciated though as I know the scene is far from perfect.

alexluong_ttalley_01.jpg

alexluong_ttalley_01tex.jpg
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    I'd like to see a wireframe shot of this, the shot overall looks awesome. *saves pic to inspiration folder*
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Great lighting, great balance of grime and dirt. Just sexy. Putting into my spank bank....errrr..."inspiration" folder.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    great stuff!

one thing that sticks out to me: maybe use a double sided shader for the metal pieces under the air conditioners? It looks like they are missing some shadows on the underside.
  • mesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My first post here, I really love the look of it so far! I agree with LlamaJuice too, wireframes would be awesome to see as well :)