Home General Discussion

New Wacom Bamboo Fun

Hey there,

I'm considering buying my girlfriend a Wacom Bamboo Fun for Christmas as she loves using my Intuos for her illustration work but the amount she will use it doesn't warrant the purchase of an Intuos.

I notice the new Bamboo appears to have some quite impressive specs (as Bamboo tablets go) with 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity, tilt control and the multi-touch (probably more of a novelty than useful).

Has anyone actually used one of these? If so, what are they like for painting?

My immediate reaction was to just pass them off as 'ok for a beginner' or 'not great for anything but editing photo's' but to be honest, those specs don't sound bad at all.

Also, am I right in thinking the 'Medium' is of a similar size to the Intuos4 Medium?

And if so, is that the same as what they used to call 'A5'?

Thanks

Replies

• DarthNater
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    I have a Bamboo Fun (the older one) and the thing works great. I would love to have the tilt control though! I'd say go for it, I use mine to sculpt and it gets the job done...
  • Flynny
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    After being used to the Intous, I felt it really hard to enjoy the bamboo, the pen felt quite fat and chubby in a horrid way. the surface was a little too rough and the pens buttons are really awkward for me to use.

That being said I think on the price front it really works and in the end its prolly best to try get ahold of a 1 and decide..
  • amotaf
    I have a Wacom Bamboo fun and it's actually decent, yeah it's not on the same level as the Intuos but it's good enough and as DarthNater says it does get the job done.

For the price and the specs I would say it's a decent buy.
  • Tom Ellis
    Awesome, thanks for the replies.

The price is definitely attractive, it's like £100 less than the Intuos, and if it's adequate for drawing/painting then it'll be fine.

Thanks again.