Home Technical Talk

LinkedIn

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
Hi people,

Thought i would use LinkedIn as a place for possible employers to look at my references, but i noticed that when click on my linkedin link you come to a scaled down version of my linkedin page which doesn't contain the recommendations, and to see the full page you need to become a full member.

This really destroys it for me, and would like to know if it's possible to get the recommendations to the scaled down version. if not, linkedin kinda sucks, in one way atleast hehe.

Thanks.

Replies

• Yozora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora polycounter lvl 11
    On a related note; do any employers actually care about references? I see a lot of people "trading" references and I pretty much ignore them like the random testimonials I see on products.

I mean if you ask a colleague to write you one they aren't exactly gonna say no... people are too nice to do that, especially if you ask in person.
    Even a really annoying person could get a lot of good "recommendations" if they were persistent enough to annoy the hell out of their colleagues for a decent recommendation :p
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe yeah sure that's true, and well the same thing kinda goes for all kinds of references, people are too nice, but well still would like to fix that problem.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    I am sure it was some setting in the privacy stuff, where you can define how much is exposed to public, members, and contacts
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    thats the problem with most people on linkedin...they use it like some kind of facebook which degrades the service. Personally I only recommend people i have something positive to say about. iv got countless recommendation requests from past collegues that im simply ignoring because theres nothing i can say about them, be it from their bad performance or simply because i never worked with Game designer X or IT manager Y

Yozora wrote: »
    On a related note; do any employers actually care about references? I see a lot of people "trading" references and I pretty much ignore them like the random testimonials I see on products.

I mean if you ask a colleague to write you one they aren't exactly gonna say no... people are too nice to do that, especially if you ask in person.
    Even a really annoying person could get a lot of good "recommendations" if they were persistent enough to annoy the hell out of their colleagues for a decent recommendation :p
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Every recommendation I read is exactly the same: "This guy is very talented and one of the best you can find in his trade, and he is also a nice guy to hang around with in the office". I don't really think they have much merit to them..
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yozora: If people can't say no, they need to grow a pair! It's not considered rude to decline someones request to write a recommendation --as far as I'm aware--, and I wouldn't let myself be guilt-tripped into it easily.

I would very much appreciate a recommendation from team leads as well as colleagues I worked closely with, but I wouldn't ask for one unless I somehow felt they owed me something, or I was just incredibly desperate.
    In a sense forcing someone into the uncomfortable position of having to turn that down could be seen as an act of aggresion if said person isn't strong enough to decline.

Peris: well, knowing that someone finds them likeable is probably the most important a prospective employer might take away from those recommendations. I don't believe everyone would get one like that, as not everyone actually fits that profile!

Anyway, what I really wrote this post for: PLZ 2 give recommendzz, k? Something along the lines of Peris' example will do nicely!
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah thought this thread went dead, happy it didn't.

CrazyButcher: I'll check on those privacy settings, thanks.

as for everything else, i guess it kinda goes down to what every individual think of Linkedin, and how it stands to them. Sure it's like facebook to some. for some maybe not. Though i think that atleast getting some good feedback on your work or personality, means that ur either not a complete douche or a crappy artist, "hopefully".

Atleast i wouldn't recommend someone like that, as said before, grow a pair.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It seems everyone is the best ever on linkedin,

for me it seems like personal recommendations seems to weigh in quite a bit more than the shoot and forget I scratch your back you scratch mine internet style recommendation.

I'm sure they can be good and all, but it seems like when everyone has them, and alot of them, will employers not think as highly of linkedin recommendations anymore?
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I would never hire someone based on a facebook, linkId, ... page. Because mostly its about people pimping themselves in a bold and dumb manner. Those numbers, pictures and quotes are so rigged most times its not representative at all (and to trained eyes easy or even obvious to spot).

Want to get the right a job? make sure your portfolio says it all. Want to get in contact with the right people? just fucking contact them right away or contact people that work at the company, also go to game dev & CG,... conventions with talent booths and scouts.

Also the best quote you can get is your name on the credits of a good game, just hard facts and no bullshit bingo!