Home General Discussion

Transitioning to School Recommendations please!

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
waedoe polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, relatively new to the boards, but have been getting my feet wet in modeling for 5 years (off and on). I would like to get into the industry after i transition out of the marine corp (end of active service is jun 2010). I will have several grants and the Montgomery GI Bill at my disposal. You all are a talented group here and I want to hear what the pro's have to say about art schools and give me some insight I feel quite lost. Ive self taught myself everything i know in 3ds max so far and i have had no formal training in any art field. I have a high motivation and passion for all art, but have found a profound connection with game design (I have done mod work here and there for Half life 2).

So I'm basically here to ask you guys what schools would you recommend? (I live in california right now, most likely returning to washington state, seattle specifically.)

what courses to take?

what online courses i could take while im still in the military?

any extra information you think would help me out?

Please let me know what you know, I want to have an organized plan for when i get out and i dont want to waste my time. I want to and plan to be in the industry within the next 4 years and i feel that you could all give me some amazing insight.

Thank you guys for the help, and ill be posting my wips and finished work in the pimping and previews thread if you want to give me some crits!