Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Brick Wall Texture...

Well, I haven't done hardly any 3D work in a while, but I decided to open photoshop and take a whack at painting something. 40 minutes later I managed to come up with this. I was rather proud of myself. :)

file.php?id=183

I think it could be lacking in contrast, but other than that, what else could I have done better?

I also wrote up a tut for some other communities if anyone is interested.

Replies

• brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    I would agree with you about the contrast. Have you tried tiling it?

Good start :)
  • .Murder
    Always interested in tuts :)
  • Zander85
    I think it's a great start, maybe could use some more variety in the colors of the bricks. I agree, needs more contrast. Also I think the green moss is a bit ambiguous. I think you could start painting in little bits with more definition, make it a bit more flaky and then place it around the crevasses in between the bricks. And I would be careful placing grass at the bottom because you might not be able to tile the texture in as many ways, and also keep in mind your scale. Looks nice and painterly with good attention to detail. Love the cracks.
  • Pbcrazy
    I actually had never intended for it to be tiled, especially after adding the moss/green stuff. But it tiles horizontally with only a few problems.

And the moss/green stuff was just kind of an after thought right before posting. I'll see about making something better in a bit. Along with recoloring some of the bricks, and making another pass for contrast.

As for the tutorial, I wrote it up on TGC, but if I can figure out just where to post one again on here, and split it up into two posts (apparently there is a 16 image limit per post), I'll gladly do so.

Tutorial
  • Pbcrazy
    Well, I hate to double post. But I'd like to have this up for viewing while I'm out and about.

I tried to get some moss, but I'm not sure i like it. I'll probably redo it differently when i get back.

file.php?id=196
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    you wonna give ur moss the same amout of paint layers as ur bricks: a dark (or medium, lacking the contrast...) tone with some lighter touches. so make one layer of moss and add some... lighter touches. as u've added darker cracks to the brix, try adding lighter "veins" to the moss, with the same proportions. now u've harmonized the image.
  • Pbcrazy
    Hmmm, well when dealing with so few pixels of moss, adding veins is a pain... But I attempted it! Problem is, I wanted to keep the darker grout visible, and since moss would naturally grow better up the grout... The darker crack stands out more... Not to mention I am terrible at drawing moss...
    file.php?id=198
    file.php?id=199
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    not sure what u meant, but just paint identical cracks on the moss, lighter green color, same way. its exactly the same as u painted the cracks. but in green. and in the same frequency. read what i wrote!
  • Explict
    Hello PbCrazy, I really like what you have so far. In fact, it inspired me to make my own brick pattern:

2mrtcp3.jpg

Sorry to barge in here and post my own stuff, but rather than make a whole new topic about the same thing, i feel that this is appropriate. I made mine from scratch too. I am not very good at teaching but from what i can tell, work on your contrast because that is what makes the pattern "POP." Try darkening the lines in between each brick and maybe lighten/darken the whole brick. Playing around with the dodge and burn will really make a big difference.
  • brandoom
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Pbcrazy wrote: »
    Hmmm, well when dealing with so few pixels of moss, adding veins is a pain... But I attempted it! Problem is, I wanted to keep the darker grout visible, and since moss would naturally grow better up the grout... The darker crack stands out more... Not to mention I am terrible at drawing moss...
    file.php?id=198
    file.php?id=199

Is your moss on a seperate layer? If so save a version with the moss and version without the moss. Then you'll be able to do what you tried above ^^ without the moss repeating. You'll just have to cut the mesh accordingly.
  • Joe Lemonade
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe Lemonade polycounter lvl 8
    You may also do the tiling like this and cut your mesh accordingly:

bd7e70c3f4.jpg
  • Pbcrazy
    The double tall image i had above was actually two in which i was trying to show off different mosses... I don't give a rip bout tiling it :P

And yes, the moss is a separate layer, actually more like 7 different mosses on 7 different layers...

EDIT: oh and i bumped up the contrast a bit...

But, it seems that I cannot paint moss. Or at least any good looking moss..
    brickwallmoss1.png

And here's a base if anybody would be nice enough to try a paint over :)
    brickwallbare.png

Thanks for the comments guys. I'll keep trying on the moss...
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    35bch3s.jpg

o5uqvq.jpg

wk48m.jpg

rkof0l.jpg

it looks like your moss is just drawn on top of the rocks with no integration with the cracks or the rocks themselves.
  • ArcticNova83
    If this is for a game engine, your moss would probably be better served as its own texture, and as a series of decals.