Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

Looking for interested 3D artists for medical simulation app

Hello everyone,

I’m a doctor in London with a background in computer science. As an aside from day-to-day work, I’m interested in medical simulation technologies. At the moment, I am trying to develop a prototype computer-based medical simulation program, basically a computer game for training medical practitioners. It isn’t a surgical simulator, nor is it for entertainment, but rather to teach students and doctors examination and management of acute medical patients.

A significant and early problem I am having is that of finding quality 3D character models which could be used within this software. I don’t have the skills to create them myself. I also don’t have the budget or research funding to buy them. I’ve therefore been looking to get in contact with 3D artists with experience in human character modelling and animation for games. The best example I’ve found of what I’m looking in terms of modelling is a rigged model of Mona Sax from the game Max Payne 2, i.e. a polycount of say 4000-5000.

As I said, this is a hobby project at the moment, but I’ve really spent the last few weeks getting no-where in terms of this 3D asset problem. A sensible approach is to create an initial version of the simulator (with only one patient model) and use the revenue from this to invest in further graphical assets/artist time. But even at this early stage before I've even developed the bulk of the software, I still need a model to work with, which could then be used in the first and subsequent versions.

I've used Unity for a while and so thought it was worth a go writing here. I’m trying to find someone who is e.g. a student in 3D modelling, or someone new out of university, perhaps interested in having a side project or collaborating on something a bit different, who would be interested in helping out in their spare time (initially at least).

Perhaps some of you are interested or could suggest some other forums or avenues I could try.

If you’re surprised that I’ve had such difficulty finding (free, or cheap!) models then please do point me in the right direction of these also. (Note that the models should be skin textured (nude) preferably, i.e. not clothed, and low poly, rigged, but realistic of the Max Payne 2 sort of quality versus that seen e.g. in Second Life, which I’d say are lower quality). I've tried importing Daz3D/Poser models but most are hi-poly, and even the low poly ones have some problems with export/import, and I would still be stuck with the problem of actually making the characters look half decent!

Any one interested, any contributes, suggestions or thoughts? I’d be very grateful.

Best wishes

Greg
gptscott@gmail.com