Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First ever character- Egyptian Guard

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
Hey! This is my first time posting a new thread here!
So I have been working on my first character lately. This one was done in about a day or so. I tried keeping this thing pretty low poly. I didn't want to exaggerate anything by putting too many edges everywhere.
This was done only in 3dsMax, and I'm not texturing it for now. So a high poly bake in mudbox/Zbrush won't be necessary.

The polycount of the actual character is 4392 tri's (I have other objects in the scene.)

I want your crits!

Here is the original concept that I based my character on:
EgyptManSmall2.jpg

And here is the character itself! :)
Frontview.jpg
Sideview.jpg

And here is the wireframe:
Wire.jpg

Thanks!

Replies

• AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    not bad for a first model. got your edge loops in the right places. May want to think about remodeling the headdress and or just modifying it to mach the reff closer. Also the character looks very boxy try pushing the silhouette of the character more. Overall great job keep posting.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit! I agree, he is a bit boxy, but then again, I'm trying to keep it's tri-count as low as I can without sacrificing too much quality. I'll see to the headdress though.

Thanks again!

More crits welcome! :)
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Boxy? I disagree. Proportions could use some work though.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The proportions here were rather tricky. At first, I modelled a well-proportioned human body, and then scaled the body to resemble the concept. That is where it got tricky. The character in the concept is not particularly well proportioned itself, so I am sort of stumped. I'm thinking the upper arms are a bit too long though.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    well, your concept is pretty cartoon looking, so using real life proportions might mess things up more for you.
    Here are my crits:

The face looks too long and thin
    Hands look too small
    Arms could be more muscular
    Hips should be wider and much higher up (look at the spacing between the clothing he is wearing in the stomach area, there is hardly any)
    The side could use some work also:
    I would probably accentuate the spine more.
    Stomach area thinner, and bring the shoulders back.
    The arms appear to be straight from the front, but they are bent in the side. It's okay to model this way, but you have to compensate for this because if you made them straight now, they would actually be way too long.
    Boots and legs bigger
    Legs shorter in general
    The hat looks like an eagle head or something, so there should be a point more on the bill (edges should be pretty much perfectly straight, coming to a point)

Like I said the concept has a sort of cartoony vibe going, almost like the person is a child there.
    In this sort of style you typically have bigger forearms and hands, and bigger calves, and feet/boots, and a very round face.
    I think it's important that you over exaggerate these features if anything, because you are just doing the model and the textures will not be there to help sell it.
    So yeah, I can see how using real life proportions would make it really hard to get things looking correct, because the concept is by no means portraying real life proportions.

Anyways, for a first character model you did a really nice job. Don't call this done yet though, keep working on those proportions!
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I agree with almost everything you've mentioned. Except for the face. While you do make a strong, valid point, I was sort of going for a more egyptian face (Thin and elongated). While the concept is cartoony, the face isn't all that visible.

I'll keep working on the proportions though. Thanks again!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Arms are fine, its the length of the legs thats the problem. Pull the waist up a bit.