Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Mazvix/ Mark Abadier, Environment Artist

Hi Everyone,

I want you guys to see where I stand in terms of trying to break into the Game Industry. What are my strength and weaknesses that are obvious and need improvement. Also what am I missing in my portfolio to grab companies attention.

Please do not be afraid to be honest. Thanks and happy thanksgiving!

portfolio link: www.MarkAbadier.com

Replies

• Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work man I like the hand painted stuff for sure. The links on your prop page doesn't seem to be working.
  • d00kie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d00kie polycounter lvl 17
    I see mushroom town and i go "god damn".
    The color palette is quite the 180 from what we see nowadays and it makes me smile. Killingpeople and I were sitting on our balcony one day and he says "Bring back the blue skies" and that's what I immediately thought when i saw Mushroom town. You translated the concept well into 3d.

If it's any consolation, my son has not stopped staring at mushroom town on my other monitor here. I think he likes the colors..or maybe he's planning my demise...

The only thing I'd suggest for your page is to name your images. It's not a big deal I don't think since you have your info on the actual picture, but when i moused over a pic it says "undefined". Like I said, it's not a biggie but maybe something you could look into.

Very good work all around, good luck!
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Some good stuff. Really like the mushroom town and your Unearthly turned out real nice.

As a crit to the folio its self you have way to much crap in it. Too many images of the same stuff just slightly different angles or whatever. You shouldnt show the same prop more than twice and twice being 1 render 1 wireframe with texture maps. We dont need to see 3 of almost the exact same angle on a helmet.

Also group some of your props up, you dont need a seperate page for each one, you dont even need to show the wires and flats of a lot of them. Put 3 or 4 props on the same page and just have a wireframe over the more import peices or overall shot.

Same gose for your single props. They arnt huge or overly complex props that need to be shown from diffrent angles, 1 is fine. Same for the HP.

Finnally the images are kinda small but still take a while to load, I dont like that.

Solid work though Mark :)
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaburan: thanks man. That is very odd, sorry about that. I personally do not have that problem, I will double check on it though.

d00kie: thank you very much for your kind words, I am glad you enjoyed it! As for the Image names, each one of them actually does have a name. If you right-click and "Save-as" you will see it. Honestly no idea why the website is acting up.

Autocon: thanks for your honesty :) I respect that and appreciate it. I can definitely see how many images can get annoying, I just get paranoid because I want to show off every small thing hehe. I got what you are saying though and I will take care of it. As for the size, I was always told 800x600 is ideal for fast loading, you sure it is not your internet? I know I only have few images that are 1100 width, which might take a second to load. If anyone else is having the same problem or has another solution/ input on the size, that would greatly help!

Thank you for putting time and great effort to help me out :)
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    Very nice port. I really love the hand painted stuff my only crit would to be show some shots of the category 3 project if you are gonna put it on your resume.
  • Mazvix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok: Thanks for the kind words. You can see some of the props of category 3 at the end inside "Props" The project is a year old and already discussed how much the rest of the environments brings my work down, thanks.
  • PhattyEwok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhattyEwok polycounter lvl 9
    lol yeah just read it again now that I'm awake don't know why I suggested >.<
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I want to live in Mushroom Town.

I love the hand painted textures, but I do agree that you may have too many pictures.

Awesome stuff man :thumbup: