Home General Discussion

enslaved by our robot overlords, or living in a post apocalyptic nuclear holocaust

Replies

• Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I must INSIST on crystal spires, togas, and psychic powers for everyone!
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Guess I'm in a thread-necro run today.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ULlgpT1UQ"]Cheetah Robot Gallops at 18 mph - YouTube[/ame]

But I'm starting to think we'll see the Robot Apocalypse coming soon.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    fuck everything about that thing^
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Nice to see that neither of those fates has befallen us in the 3 years since this thread was created.

With regards to the question, robots seem like the obvious choice. After all, if they're jerks, then we can fight them and go back to having a non apocalyptic world to hang out in. If they world is all irradiated, there's not really any going back.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Nuclear. Mad Max style. Also there's more chance of zombies the nuclear way.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You actually WANT the zombies? With Robots theres a HIGH chance of reclaiming the planet
    Robo's are limited in the mind unless there like a mix of machine and organics but then they'd be cyborgs. It would be easy to take over with robos

Nuclear would just take the Fallout route and theres nothing worth living for in that universe imo Id rather suicide than go against a zombie Super Behemoth
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    You know what, I'd quite like robots running everything. I bet things would be more efficient.

Also there'd be less corruption - ooooh, political.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    eld wrote: »
    your robotic overlord:

315442512_f8dbae7a79_o.jpg

I need to pat my youngerself on the head, this is totally me.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    eld wrote: »
    I need to pat my youngerself on the head, this is totally me.

HAHAH! what a freak!:poly135:

I went with post-apoc, i wasa scavenging bum in Fallout 3 i got this shit in the bag... pun not intended.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    You actually WANT the zombies?

Of course I do... I've been preparing for it for the last 10 years. What a waste of time if it doesn't happen. You do realise L4D is actually training software and that most zombie films show you just about everything you SHOULD NOT DO.

Its coming whether we like it or not.

Robots will never rule though. Skynet and Wargames taught us too much. Only chance of it would be an alien robot race. Megatron maybe.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Robotic overlords. If we build them right the world will be a utopia and if we don't then at least we'll have created a superior race. Nuclear holocaust is just crappy all over.
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Of course I do... I've been preparing for it for the last 10 years. What a waste of time if it doesn't happen. You do realise L4D is actually training software and that most zombie films show you just about everything you SHOULD NOT DO.

Its coming whether we like it or not.

Robots will never rule though. Skynet and Wargames taught us too much. Only chance of it would be an alien robot race. Megatron maybe.

Ahhh so your in it for the survival challenge? It would be quite the experience to live through one of those but one screw up and its all over. Like wanting a Twinkie

Though in just about ALL zombie films and ALL zombie games they lie! its Impossible for a zombie to run at you, rigamortis says no, gums should rot out and teeth fall out so no biting, and all senses should be nonfunctional or close to not working Unless its like Black ops where they are on fire inside and feed by slapping you to the floor.

Id just grab a Katana and have the time of my life tearing up corpses in the streets

lol you're right but a Robot alien race would probably obliterate us in a few seconds over rather than enslave
    dfacto wrote: »
    Robotic overlords. If we build them right the world will be a utopia and if we don't then at least we'll have created a superior race. Nuclear holocaust is just crappy all over.

A superior race being reapers
    Then they come back every 50,000 years to dominate :\
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I dont get it. Most of you guys are saying you'd prefer to be ENSLAVED by robots. Rather than live in a post apoc world with your freedom....weirdo's.

You'll never take my.....FREEDOM!

Edit: I just voted and looked at the poll. Looks like most want Nuclear Holocaust. My faith in humanity is restored.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    robots for sure. all it takes is 1 solar flare and boom, all the electricity / robots are dead. freedoooooom!!!!!
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    i say robots than we use the emp field giving off by nukes to kill them.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    it says I have already voted well I haven't godammit
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Bigjohn wrote: »

That is terrifying. I'm so glad they gave it four sickles for feet so it can rip us apart after it chases us down and jumps on us.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    I dont get it. Most of you guys are saying you'd prefer to be ENSLAVED by robots. Rather than live in a post apoc world with your freedom....weirdo's.

Freedom's all fun and games until the raiders catch you and sell you into slavery. Then no freedom for you. :(
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Though in just about ALL zombie films and ALL zombie games they lie! its Impossible for a zombie to run at you, rigamortis says no, gums should rot out and teeth fall out so no biting, and all senses should be nonfunctional or close to not working Unless its like Black ops where they are on fire inside and feed by slapping you to the floor.
    Rigor mortis is a temporary condition that disipates after 2-3 days.
    Teeth don't automatically fall out when the gums rot. They're attached to the skull and jaw bone.
    Zombie movies that have actual animate corpse zombies (as opposed to your running around diseased people or the like), typically do only have a very basic sensory system, hence why they're really only dangerous if they're in large groups or if they surprise you.

I suppose given zombies are in fact not real, your first point is still technically correct.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    There's a reason Mad Max is an ex-cop and not a game artist

what I'm saying is, maybe the robots would keep us around to make art for the matrix on the other hand we have zero skills to for us to survive in a Fallout 3 environment.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing you can't learn though. And what better way to learn than on the job? Hit the ground running with a nuclear apocalypse.
  • Zephiris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zephiris polygon
    We definitely should have both, then it'll be holocaust mutants VS robo overlords. Awesome.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    uhm... aren't we already enslaved to the machines?.

I like the idea of chicks with three tits and all but I've seen The Hills Have Eyes and I don't want no part of that thanks.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Andreas wrote: »
    That is terrifying. I'm so glad they gave it four sickles for feet so it can rip us apart after it chases us down and jumps on us.

LOL.

...seriously though, that thing scares the shit out of me...
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jackablade wrote: »
    Rigor mortis is a temporary condition that disipates after 2-3 days.
    Teeth don't automatically fall out when the gums rot. They're attached to the skull and jaw bone.
    Zombie movies that have actual animate corpse zombies (as opposed to your running around diseased people or the like), typically do only have a very basic sensory system, hence why they're really only dangerous if they're in large groups or if they surprise you.

I suppose given zombies are in fact not real, your first point is still technically correct.

Everything i said was wrong
    And Zombies do exist... in colleges
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Guess I'm in a thread-necro run today.

But I'm starting to think we'll see the Robot Apocalypse coming soon.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ULlgpT1UQ"]Cheetah Robot Gallops at 18 mph - YouTube[/ame]
    is it just me or is this thing running backwards?

Tho running backwards at 18mph is pretty impressive,
    I choose the backwards running cheetah bots to rule me!

Edit - Well it doesnt have a head so maybe it is running forwards. but its legs look backwards :/
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it does seem backwards compared to a real cheetah. I wonder why. I'm sure it had some advantage to rigging it that way.

BTW, it says this on their site:
    The current version of the Cheetah robot runs on a high-speed treadmill in the laboratory where it is powered by an off-board hydraulic pump and uses a boom-like device to keep it running in the center of the treadmill. Later this year we plan to start testing a free-running Cheetah that will operate more naturally in the field.

Note the last sentence.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Living in a nuclear holocaust... no doubt. Armor out of car tires and hubcaps. The skulls of the dead adorning my body. I will eat you all.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    robots, made by Apple (tm). Just think about the user experience... mmmh
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thread necro. These people upgraded the Cheetah, and this blade-legged death machine can now go 28mph.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chPanW0QWhA"]Cheetah Robot runs 28.3 mph; a bit faster than Usain Bolt - YouTube[/ame]

Also, this guy can jump:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b4ZZQkcNEo"]Sand Flea Jumping Robot - YouTube[/ame]
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    That small car scares me much more than the cheetah. That runner thing is 1 clunky, 2 incapable of stairs/climbing, 3 easy to hit, 4 easy to spot and avoid, and 5 still attached to an umbillical cord.
  • JonathanLambert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonathanLambert polycounter lvl 6
    We're screwed. If this is the stuff they let us see, imagine what kind of black ops fuckery they are up to.
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah...they probably have a sprinting sickle legged robot that can jump buildings too. They thought they were so clever splitting them up for the public to see.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In case this wasn't crazy enough, they also want to make one that can EAT CORPSES! It even has the appropriate name of EATR.

http://www.robotictechnologyinc.com/index.php/EATR

The purpose of the Energetically Autonomous Tactical Robot (EATR)™ (patent pending) project is to develop and demonstrate an autonomous robotic platform able to perform long-range, long-endurance missions without the need for manual or conventional re-fueling, which would otherwise preclude the ability of the robot to perform such missions. The system obtains its energy by foraging – engaging in biologically-inspired, organism-like, energy-harvesting behavior which is the equivalent of eating. It can find, ingest, and extract energy from biomass in the environment (and other organically-based energy sources), as well as use conventional and alternative fuels (such as gasoline, heavy fuel, kerosene, diesel, propane, coal, cooking oil, and solar) when suitable.

Yeah... I think they're building this thing:
    enslaved2.jpg
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    I really want to see this eating robot, not in person though.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7ezXBEBE6U&hd=1"]LS3 - Legged Squad Support System - YouTube[/ame]

Enemies of the US will rejoice though, they'll be able to hear it's soldiers from miles away..
  • GeeDave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GeeDave polycounter lvl 11
    Back to the poll for a moment...

Why would anyone choose to be enslaved by anything!? Robot overlords would use us for entertainment, we'd be utterly useless and redundant for anything else. And by "entertainment" I mean they'd kill us, or make us kill ourselves... in a clean, controlled environment.

Nuclear Holocaust wins, hands down!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Ah, but it's hard to rise up in arms against an overlord made of nuclear ash and radiation.