Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Morrigan WIP

Hey guys, I started to do Morrigan from darkstalkers to get down my female anatomy. Right now I've been looking at this too long and need some new eyes to view it. The sculpting is a little muddy, but I'll clean it up once I think the larger shapes are set.

Anyway, pictures:

* She is going to be in high heels.
morrigan1.jpg

morrigan2.jpg

morrigan3.jpg

Any comments or critiques would be appreciated.

Replies

• doeseph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doeseph polycounter lvl 7
    Hm, I looked over some artwork of Morrigan and her proportions vary pretty significantly on a image to image basis. There are some drawings where she features a smaller bust than your version, but then has broader shoulders. I personally felt the hips were slightly wide on your interpretation, but then noticed that's a pretty common occurrence in most of the artwork I've seen for Morrigan.

I want to say she looks a little stocky or too muscular, but I'm wondering if thats simply because the reference I'm using is 2D. I can't put my finger on it.

Here is what I'm looking at anyway: http://arcade.svatopluk.com/capcom/darkstalkers/Morrigan_namco_x_capcom.jpg
  • Scyfon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scyfon polycounter lvl 9
    I'd say the area around the ankles (from side view) could be a little thinner.
    Also, the belly (?) area is looking a little bulged (again, from th side).

Other than that, it's looking great.
    Can't wait to see the end product! *Is a Morrigan fan*
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    do felicia first
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, I agree with Scyfon that her abdomen looks a little too bulged out from a side view. It would look better if it was more in line with that inside curve you created by her ribs.

Also, for a BESM girl, her eyes aren't quite big enough (shape looks odd too) her mouth isn't small enough and her chin is a little too rounded to hint at her anime heritage. I think it would also help if her chin wasn't so resessed from the side view. Makes her look like she has a very large overbite.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i'm confused why you would pick a stylized exagerated character if the goal is to practice anatomy, surely something a bit more. real woul make a better learning subject.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    agree with mojo, something stylised for anatomy practice isn't a great idea
    and her skull shape is in need of serious work
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The chest/waist/hip/abs/groin areas all look abnormal/alien.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I made a Morrigan a while back for the Comicon contest a couple years ago.

^_^

I'm not sure if it will help you in any way, but here it is:

http://www.comiconchallenge.com/2009/images/wallPapers/Morrigan_1024_768.jpg

You have a solid understanding of anatomical details (such as how muscles should look), but not really solid in how they relate to each other. Take a look at really cut female body builders to know how the muscular anatomy works (but I wouldn't actually use their physique).

I based my model completely on the proportions used by korean concept artist Hyung Tae Kim, and whipped out a quick ortho for what I wanted her proportions to look like:

http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=6914&stc=1&d=1215785764
    http://www.gameartisans.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7011&stc=1&d=1215901284

Women are REALLY tricky. The slightest bit that something is off (like an inch too large or small or misplaced) it ends up throwing everything out of wack.

At first glance, if I were to pinpoint the most misleading about the proportions, I would say the hips seem too low, and the breasts seem too high.

Maybe I'm out to lunch, but I get the feeling the proportions should be a little closer to this. It's still far away from what it should look like (the neck should still be a bit shorter, hands should be bigger, etc).

morrigan1z.jpg

I would highly recommend applying a 100% self illuminated shader on her, and just look at her silhouette from all angles.
  • Heart_Murmur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks for the feedback guys.

@doeseph - Yeah the multiple iterations I think was a big contributer to how odd she looks. I was torn between so many variations, I just muddled them all together. I'm going to aim for a specific style and try and hit it.

@Scyfon - I would agree about the ankles, I'll fix em.

@achillesian - Pssht, crazy old cat lady, no way.

@TorQue[MoD] - Solid points, the face needs a make over it seems.

@Rhinokey - Sorry, I was a bit vague on my purpose for this character. The big goal was to get out of my comfort zone, I usually do hard surfaced space marine characters. The female form is something I lacked in, but also stylized characters aswell. Maybe I am too ambitious/out of my league to try both at the same time, but I'm going to give a whack at it.

@Marine - I'll get some skull reference. Thanks.

@ZacD - I would agree, I'm going to over haul her body shape/proportions.

@JacqueChoi - Thanks for the paint over, your model looks great. Your right about how tricky they are, its like a slight adjustment can make all the difference. I'll aim for those proportions.

Once again thanks for the feedback guys. I'll overhaul the model and update when she is looking like she could use some more critiques.
  • Heart_Murmur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

morrigan6.jpg

morrigan5.jpg

morrigan4.jpg

Crits Welcome.
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Torso needs work as it flows into the hips, the width from the front view just varies way too much. The shoulder width is fine, as is the hip width, but the area in between needs to flow better. She also looks a bit wide in the upper body in the side profile view. I'd suggest bringing the back inwards a bit, and also the area right below the breasts slightly.

Looks like you have a pretty good base, just needs some tweaking.
  • ima
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ima polycounter lvl 8
    Really preferred the previous one to be honest.

Sorry but her legs look like they were taken of a chubby lady and put on a skinny chick.
    Right above the knees down looks good though.
  • Heart_Murmur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty much done with the high, gonna get crackin on the low here soon. The only thing missing is her head wings and smoothing out the wings then I'm going to call the HP done.

morrigan7.jpg
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks pretty good, my second favorite character on darkstalkers :) (Felicia is king) but what about her wing ears and hair, what are you intending for those? and ya her legs look kind of Chun Lee'esk. Which is kind of ok, but morrigan has slimmer more elegant legs.
  • ivanushka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like how Morrigon's anatomy is reading in your very last picture post. I'll be interested to see how you model and sculpt the hair.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    Butt is a little big. looks like "Elasti-girl" from the Incredibles.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    lookin forward to seeing her in hair, great work so far.
  • Serp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serp polycounter lvl 17
    lollllll I love the butt. That's the biggest butt I've ever seen on a game character.
  • Celes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've seen a lot of Morrigan pictures and this model does have a rather huge behind. Not sure if it's a style you're going for but the arms seem kinda short. Also, The divid down the middle of the torso can be less defined. Overall I like it tho!
  • Scyfon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scyfon polycounter lvl 9
    Really loving how it's looking so far!
    It's perfect, I can't say I see any problems with it =D
  • dlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dlx
    It's looking good. I'm also a Darkstalkers fan and can't wait to see the finished piece.

I recommend checking out the sculptures of Mike James to see how he works with stylized anatomy. Check out the way he transformed this Emma Frost statue: http://www.jamesart.com/Commisions/csModifiedBuildUps.html

He makes the anatomy "pop" like comic book art. The thighs and calves in particular are curvy without looking too fat. I saw this in another forum and keep it bookmarked as a reminder on stylized anatomy.

On the other hand, if you're going for a realistic interpretation of Morrigan, Mike's art isn't going to help much. Personally, I love the stylized look of the Capcom characters. Any time I see a realistically proportioned version of them I find it a little boring. *shrug*