Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Japanese Temple WIP

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
danshewan polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys,

Been working on this for a few days. Still needs a lot doing to it before I'm ready to move on to baking, and the roof is driving me crazy.

templey.jpg

Windows are floating geometry, as are the carved decorative pieces. The roof tiles are simply low-poly placeholder geometry right now, until I can figure out what the hell to do with it.

I've still got some details to add, edges to chamfer etc., but I'm going for an UT3 Reflection / Shangri La feel to it. I'll be adding a simply stone courtyard floor surface to the scene, as well as a torii gate and some Buddhist lanterns to the front stairs and maybe a covered walkway towards the rear of the building to add some variety.

So, critiques and suggestions welcome. Critique and suggest the shit out of it.

Replies

• RSX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RSX polycounter lvl 18
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Loving the detail on this piece, although alot seems to have gone into the roof. Id maybe tone it down unless the camera is gonna be right close to the roofs and spend the rest on maybe breaking up the steps.

Some statues would also go great on the top of the posts at the side of the steps. Also some fencing around the boundary would look.

Can't wait to see this textured.
  • TomBernert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking outstanding :)
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Small update - added the base mesh for the courtyard ground, some Buddhist lanterns to the sides of the main steps and a torri gate. Also threw some simple colors in there to experiment with color schemes.

templek.jpg

Ark wrote: »
    Loving the detail on this piece, although alot seems to have gone into the roof. Id maybe tone it down unless the camera is gonna be right close to the roofs and spend the rest on maybe breaking up the steps.

Some statues would also go great on the top of the posts at the side of the steps. Also some fencing around the boundary would look.

Can't wait to see this textured.

Yeah, the roof was getting a little out of hand, so I've simplified it as much as I'm happy with, and will let textures do the rest. I experimented with statues at the top of the stairs, but they looked a little out of place, and the scene looked a bit cramped so I opted for the lanterns instead.

Fencing didn't really look right, either - I'm going for more of an open scene feel to it, and fencing made it look like a stage for a fighting game. Thanks very much for the feedback, though, and for everyone's kind remarks.

All the geometry is ready for sculpting / optimizing / UV layout, so hopefully the next update will be a bit meatier. Also planning on adding some Japanese maple trees to the edges of the courtyard to add some depth to the scene.