Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

IDustrial env

Replies

• andybozo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andybozo polycounter lvl 7
    driver- yea your right about the wooden crates. i very likely should have added more geo but i wanted to reduce the surface area that the texture was applyed to so i did it with this method. also im trying to give it a similar look to the rage screen shots i was looking at. as well as optimise for a console in a similar way.

crazyfingers-i do agree i wish i could add in more pipes. its funny cause i already made the lights you posted a picture of and yes i threw them in next to the door.

konstruct-i understand your comment about all sci-fi or no sci-fi sort of idea. i personally really like to mix just because if you surround something fake with other things that are real you can sometimes trick people into thinking the fake thing is real... also if you look at the way things progress over time, much time and research is placed into certain areas more so then others often. or certian areas just develop further just because its worth developing further... an example might be computers vs computer desk. in the future 50 years i doubt a computer desk is really going to change much. but the computer that sits on the desk might be 1000 times more advanced. another factor is cost, are you really going to switch from wooden pallets and crates in the future... probley not. its not cost effective to change... going along with that train of thought one might ask why isnt the resolution of the holographic display better? mainly just cause it looks cool.

good examples of this sort of design philosophy: children of men, alien, jerrasic park, startrek (2009), avatar. i think these do a great job of mixing real elements with sci. i personally think the floor tiles look unrealistic in design but are cool looking and show my skills of normal maping. so thats the main thing for me is showing skill and making it look cool.

im using cryengine 2 for rendering. (hopefully ce3 soon, haha)

so, here it is im going to call it finished for a while atleast until i have a chance to pick it back up in about a month. trying to get it all done really fast so i can use it for a job im applying to. so unfortunately while many of your guys comments i do think are valid. im going to have to let them go for now.

withdoor02.jpg
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Congratulations on getting this done. :)

Somehow, I don't think this works as a scene though. There's something in there that doesn't fit and I can't tell what exactly is it. Maybe with a big of final composition it would look better. I would go to the ToD and mess a little bit with it, try the get the best out of it, and also the vizarea parameters.
    I like the secularity in the floor, but the green metal things on the left, they should shine too, and if you look close at it, it somehow looks like cardboard box.
    The concrete in the ceiling is also shining too much, I would increase the glossiness a little and darken down the specular colour.

Nevertheless, It's always good to finish something, grats.
  • andybozo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    andybozo polycounter lvl 7
    HP- glad to see you commented. im a big fan of your work. you inspired me to do the game-artist.net mini challenge a while ago. :thumbup:

currently my composition is definately lacking i think. id like to improve that as much as i can while still making the scene a viable ingame environment. im going to have to work on that some more for sure. what were you thinking for TOD settings? is there a spacific thing you felt could be changed?

for the green colored beams you think remove some of the discoloration and make the highlight smaller?

the concrete has no specularity on it at all but i think the inensity of the normal maps cause it to look like it might have specularity.

i am right about to apply to crytek actually. so please put in a good word for me over there if you feel i deserve it. :\ hopefully i can still improve this scene in the future, i would like to break up the floor tiles more with decals and such. as well as add a lot more cables and wires. maybe that will give me a hand in improving the composition.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    I like how this turned out Andy! Just a couple small things I noticed that could be changed:

The wooden crates are lacking depth and seem like simple boxes up close. I'd recommend you model in some more detail for these crates, as I think the amount of depth gained will be a great addition to it. The other thing about the crates is the quality of the edges on the COS text, it's very jagged looking.

That trash can looking prop on the bridge looks quite blurry compared to the other props around it.

There's a rather noticeable seam on the right pipe. Check out that 90 degree pipe on the top.

I'd suggest playing with some other light colors than just plain white for the lamps. That could help create a better mood, making it come together as an environment. I like what you've done so far though, add a few extra touches and call it complete. :)
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    It'd be nice to see a render with less props cluttering the hallway. The poison barrel and wooden box I think espeically might look better removed, the grunge and darkness on the other barrels fit the scene better and making more room would make it look like you could actually walk across this hallway.

A mishapen reflective puddle on the floor would be money, kick up the composition a bit, and still look like a hallway you could walk down. It looks like a damp dangerous scene already, might as well go with it. A construction hat or two would also help it look lived in.

I think the scene's great, but just a little more effort would go a long way.