Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Ken(Kendo)Briggs Character Art

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kendo polycounter lvl 18
Its good to finally get this out the door, I feel like i am at a stage where i am only really limited to my imagination. For a long time my biggest problem has been how quickly i worked, but after changing my pipeline and working on it i think i can hold my own in terms of turn around times.

I don't know if the work i have produced would be good enough to get me a job anywhere but based on what people have said its probably for the best i intend to move onto environment art next.

I've taken on board a lot of what people have said in the creation of my portfolio page kept it pretty simple and included a lite version for just the images. Decided to through in a reel i know people have said its mostly for animators but it wasn't too taxing to make it so i did it anyways. Am not too sure what to put into the About section i went straight into IT industry when i left school so have never been to college or university to study in fact i would go as far to say i have never met or talked with anyone with any 3d experience.

Anyways enough background time to show off the art. some of these are from the site the others didn't make the cut.

The site is http://kenb3d.com/

dom4finalrender.jpg

dom3highpolyfront.jpg

dom3conceptfinal.jpg

zgrab02.jpg

zbfinal.jpg

alcove.jpg

dfgdfgl.jpg

dudene.jpg

Replies

• Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    The one thing I found annoying was that clicking on your robot, and your knight character sent me off to different tabs/windows, so I couldn't just quickly hit the back button to view your other pieces. Fixing that would be awesome.

I also think the site design itself is a bit bland, but . . . it's just a medium of presenting your work so it's probably not something to worry about.
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    Slipstream wrote: »
    The one thing I found annoying was that clicking on your robot, and your knight character sent me off to different tabs/windows, so I couldn't just quickly hit the back button to view your other pieces. Fixing that would be awesome.

I also think the site design itself is a bit bland, but . . . it's just a medium of presenting your work so it's probably not something to worry about.

Firstly thank you for responding i am glad at least one person bothered to.

I've taken your advice on board and amended the links so they now open into the same page.

It is a tad bland for my tastes as well but the general recommendation was to keep it simple.
  • Fang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fang polycounter lvl 7
    I would tone down the design even more, a solid color background. Remove the flash-elements. Those buttons are just distracting from your work. Your work should be the first thing noticeable, make your logo and links small and discreet. It's after we've looked through your work we want to browse your site.

Your "Lite Version" does a better job of throwing the work in on our face. And that's a good thing. But enough on the web-design. Your work is for the most part pretty good, but I think what brings it down a notch is the designs and concepts, I would consider finding some really awesome concept-art from professional Concept Artists and model that.

Keep in mind that you wont be doing the concept-art as an modeler (or character artist), for the most part atleast.

That's my two cents anyway..
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    I agree with Johny on this... your actual portfolio doesn't looks as nice as the lite version simply because I think some of your better work is shown in this one.

I really like that Zombie guy hanging from the wall, in fact I think it, your old man head model and that zombie looking Crysis dude are the 3 best pieces of work in your portfolio.

Your texturing could use some work, but that obviously comes with time. I think your knight looks off proportionately... probably because his armor is way to big for his body size. It makes his arms look too short comparitively.

The robot looks nice, although maybe too scratched... maybe he should have some chipped paint in some spots and some more obvious scuff marks. Right now he looks like someone keyed your robot since all the scratch marks are so thin.

Still, in my personal opinion, the wall zombie and the head model are your best works. Get them textured up nicely enough and I think they should go at the top of your portfolio.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I agree with the crits about your site from Johny as well.
    Also as a crit on your art, the robot is in need of specular highlights on the edges real bad. This will make everything pop way more.
    I think if you re-worked the specular on the robot it would make a huge difference.
    Nice job so far!