Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: geeshin

Hello polycount!

This is my first post/thread in this forum and I'll mainly be posting 2D artwork in this sketchbook. I hope to grow exponentially in the next year so that I may have portfolio worthy art for a concept art position.

Feel free to browse through my blog ( http://geeshin.blogspot.com/ ) for now as I make new art to post up here.

Thank you.

Replies

• geeshin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I'm working on a project for school and I'll be redesigning Hook/Peter Pan based off "The Agency" style/setting.

I have started off this project with Captain Hook's ship. I will be designing a huge airship that looks like a battleship that would be out at sea. And here are some thumbnails and designs I've been working on:

96a41182.jpg

3fdeff9a.jpg

359ff7bc.jpg

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

And here are some personal work/studies from photos:

Dexter Morgan
    2009_10_11Dexter.jpg

Barbosa
    2009_10_20Barbosa.jpg

Sean Bean
    2009_11_24seanBean.jpg

So yeah, I am open to any critique, feedback, comments, suggestions, etc.
  • FlyByKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far all i have to say is that your work ROCKS!
  • geeshin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far all i have to say is that your work ROCKS!

I'm pretty sure it's not as good as others, but thank you! :)
  • geeshin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KIMj_airFortress_WIP01.jpg

WIP of my airship. Rendering vehicles is not my thing haha Still got to add more guns/cannons on the bottom, rear, and front of the ship. I want to do something interesting with the engine so that it can "animate", but I'm not sure what... All I can think of at the moment are flaps coming up to slow it down mid flight.

Critiques/comments/feedback/suggestions are all welcome!
  • FlyByKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really liking where this is going. Look forward to seeing its final render.
  • geeshin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry it's not a final rendered piece, Fly, but here's another WIP. Getting closer....

KIMj_airFortress_WIP02.jpg
  • FlyByKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still looking good though! ;)
  • Valeriy Vdovin
    Nice stuff.
    Dexter Morgan looks a bit too slim. He has more fat overall and more flesh on the cheeks
    The ship is awesome, although the propeller version was better. More interesting than this jet ship.
    Too bad that you've gone far from this original sketch http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p311/geeshin/artwork/3fdeff9a.jpg - it had great overall forms of the ship deck itself and very good propeller engines as well. Try returning to that somehow.

Ow, now i remembered why this jet engines loose to propellers. The thing is they look almost the same as starwars race cars, and this leads the whole concept to this starwars theme, and that's far from peter pan. That's all my opinion of course
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Love the airship Jin! Might have to let me take this into 3d some time.
  • geeshin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valeriy Vdovin - I liked the propeller version too, but I felt it was getting too much into the WWII look, so I added some, but not over-the-top, futuristic element. My exposed engine style was inspired by the pod racers haha, good call there. However, pod racer engine were in the front and a lot smaller. I'll just need to add more bling around the engine to take away from the SW look. Thank you for your feedback though! I really do appreciate it.

kaburan - Thanks Will! Whenever it's finished, feel free to model it!

And here's a WIP Blizzard/Diablo III inspired Barbarian I am currently working on. I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the legging.. hmmm

2009_12_15BarbarianWIP01.jpg
  • vatsel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whoa geeshin - lovin the metal surface of that tanker! Job well done there.

The barbarian though, "reads" pretty badly.
    While you're prolly aiming for a concept and not an illu, it still needs to read well - the large amount of highlights and darks pulls and scatters the eye of the viewer into many directions.
    Your skin rendering seems to have the same "value curve" (sort of like a value range) as metal. while under specific lighting skin may have these value surges, the same lightsource would definitely affect the sword, making it brighter than skin.
    In short, practice shading different materials, which is learned fastest by doing still-lifes :)
    There's some anatomy issues too, like the distance of the legs and length+width of arms.

All the best :)

EDIT: seeing more of your work on GameArtisans.. this really puts my criticism in an unnecessary light haha your other stuff friggin rocks.. this warrior piece was probably really quick or something.
    feel free to disregard the comment.
  • geeshin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vatsel - Thanks for your critique! I will be going back to my barbarian in the future and get it corrected as best I can. I appreciate your honest feedback.

And here's a samurai concept. This turned out a lot darker (laptop vs pc) then I thought it would have. Adjusted the contrast slightly, but I will be going back to this later on and adding color to it.

Any c&c will be appreciated.

2010_01_02Samurai.jpg
  • geeshin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A couple of speed paints I did while hanging out in a class.

2010_01_11Enviro0102.jpg
  • alandandrew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello Geeshin.
    Your sketch is very nice and it's so natural. I like this art and it's highly appreciated.
  • etb342
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great speed paints Geeshin. I love the loose quality and the color use. Is this in Photoshop or Painter? I've been looking to lock in a similar style myself.

The featured concept on this Sketchbook, the Airship, is really nice. The only thing that keeps popping into my head is how the thing stays airborne and controls itself. There's just so much weight in the front of it that I can only imagine it nose diving and burying into the landscape. Personally I loved the propeller concept that you had posted before it.

Anyways, nice stuff. Can't wait to see more.
  • geeshin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alandandrew - Thanks so much!

etb342 - All my work is done in Photoshop CS3/CS4. And thank you for your feedback on the airship. I wonder when I'll be going back to that... haha
  • geeshin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a new painting:

2010_01_25Creature.jpg
  • FlyByKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your new painting is fantastic! i always look forward to your new posts :)
  • geeshin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FlyByKnight - Thanks!

Haven't posted here in a while!

I'm starting a small environment piece, which I would like to get done before GDC. The scene is a run down slum/ghettos. Time period is in the close future, so lots of modern day look with more advanced looking tech buildings in the b/g. I'll probably make this an overcast day scene, about noon'ish.

As far as line work goes, I think I'm gonna style this up a little bit, so the lines won't be so straight. I'll give the buildings some gesture and all that to make it a bit more interesting. Unless people like the direction I'm going with this.

Anyway! Here is my WIP:

2010_03_03cityWIP01.jpg

Any feedback would be much appreciated!
  • geeshin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, here's another samurai character I've been working on. Definitely Blizzard style influence.

Any suggestions on how I can make him.. bad ass?

2010_03_18samurai_WIP.jpg
  • geeshin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tinkerbell Concept. I'm actually designing her as a vehicle instead of an actual character. I thought I'd take this into a completely different direction. Peter will be piloting "her." I'll be rendering this in the near future.

Any suggestions?

KIMj_tinkerbellThumbSheet.jpg
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    these are awesome. i have the same problem i dont know what to do with the legging stuff
  • geeshin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marlfox8 - Thanks! =] I get weary of putting too many things on or around the legs since it's usually not the main focus... Oh well, we'll eventually learn.

And an update!

Here are some sketches/drawings I've done in the past month. They can always use some revisions and I'm willing to take any critiques.

Most of these are a Peter Pan redesign. So it's more of a mercenary sky pirate theme.

This is Wendy - She gives intel to Peter.
    KIMj_wendy06.jpg

Here is Peter Pan
    KIMj_PeterPan04.jpg

Captain Hook
    KIMj_captHook02.jpg

Schmee, the little slave robot
    KIMj_schmee01.jpg

Hook's lair/hideout
    KIMj_hideOut_render01.jpg
  • marlfox8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice twist to the peter pan stories
  • limesimme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    limesimme polycounter lvl 11
    Captain Hook can't be more badass than that, good job!
    Only thing I don't like to 100% is Peters "elvish" look.
    But once again, this is terrific work you got there!
  • geeshin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marlfox8 - Thank you. I thought recreating something would be fun, and so far it has been.

limesimme - Hmm.. So you think getting rid of his elven ears would be better? I feel it would be harder to tell that he's supposed to be Peter Pan. I thought I'd keep some of that fantasy element in there :)

Here are some warm up speed paints, spent one hour each. Hopefully I can get faster the more I do these.

2010_05_25knight.jpg

2010_05_25wizard.jpg

This one was a warm up and a color study from Disney's Lion King. One hour.

2010_05_24LionKingStudy.jpg