Home Technical Talk

Maya export mesh colours with pixel edge padding?

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Is there any quick way to put a bunch of different solid coloured materials on different elements of a mesh and then bake those to a textue with edge padding? Right now the only way I've found is using the transfer maps low to low tranfer. Works okay but I have to do each element one at a time and then composite the map because of envelope overlaps. Not a big deal just wondering.

Replies

• renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    I wrote that for 3dsmax but I kind of depend on the RTT (render to texture) methods build in that provide the option for bleeding
    texTools_2.5_blockout_map_types.gif
    I used a HSR or that rainbow range to make each element unique and in full contrast
  • ivars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivars polycounter lvl 15
    You could have your envelope at 0 and use "closest to envelope" Chances are, since source and target meshes are the same, there will be a minimum amount of errors.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs, yeah that is what I want but the render to texture crap in maya is not quite as robust as max.

ivars, tried that still had clipping in the output map.

I ended up doing a low to low transfer one element at a time and then hand compositing each layer in photoshop. It worked but it would have probably been less time to just hand paint it directly in photoshop.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can apply any type of material to each mesh on your high mesh or individual groups of polys, give it a color, then bake a diffuse map in transfer maps. If you use RGB or RGBCMY its relatively easy to create a script to separate all of the layers in photoshop automatically.

Unless you're just talking after the mesh has been baked... Well the above is very usefull if you have a high with multiple material types etc.
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can do this with the regular batch bake function as well.
    Here is how.
    I use a MIB_illum_lambert for each group or color etc. I set all of its attributes to the targetcolor (ambeince, ambient, and diffuse) I make sure that there is no lights in my scene, and that "enable default lighting" is turned off in my render globals. I turn on final gather, and global illum. I run batch bake and set the options for bake set overides to light and color, and then whatever you want after that. Then i just select all of the objects in the scene and bake all at once. if you have lots of objects, and will be using a few textures what helps is first assigning all the materials, Then commbining objects that will share one texture sheet, and turing off bake to one map, so now you can select the whole scene, bake it all at once, and each group will be combined to its own texture sheet, so you wont need to combine them later in photoshop.
    i can post some pics if that will help but this works for me.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hijak you're right I was totally trying to make this more complicated than it needed to be. Batch bake mental ray does the trick, thanks.