Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Valeriy Vdovin

Hy there. I was doing lot's of 3d for the last 8 years, but nothing special, that I would be really proud of. The thing is that in Russia it was not a really necessary skill for a general 3d guy to be able to model cool fantasy and history creatures and characters, although I was fond of human anatomy+fantasy art ever since childhood. So i was doing lot's of cell-phones and music players and different titles and VFX for years, leaving my true passion for sci-fi/fantasy art behind. Now I see that CG industry has stepped forward, suggesting a more artistic way create CG products, like sculpting normal mapping 3d painting, hairs, syflex -in other words all that stuff , that makes a 3d guy's life much more easier and fun than 5-6 years ago. Also the market of CG has grown, giving lot's of artist a place under the sun.

All written above has given me inspiration to try myself in what I think would be the most interesting specialization for me - character artist. It would be a very long path to become pro in that, considering my current skills, but I'll try my best, and I hope to get lot's of fun and experience out of this journey. God speed and good luck for me)

So here is my first Idea , which I'm going to create from scratch to a full 3d turnaround sculpture.
I've called the folder with the first sketches on this Idea - LEGIONARY (actually - it's called "legioner", but thats just a russian word spelled with english letters)
, so be this project called Legionary. Simple and clear.

Replies

• Valeriy Vdovin
    So, that's the first sketch.
    My goal was to freeze the sculpture in the very moment of the Legionery striking his opponent with a spear, the very moment, when the soul of the defeated warrior leaves the body. We can see the strain of muscles, holding the spear, the hands of the defeated warrior also holding it tight in a useless prevent of being killed. So I've put myself the task to picture this dynamic moment in epic style.

Here I wanted to find the basic pose of my future model
    legioner.jpg

Then decided to work out some more poses.
    legionersketch.jpg
    I liked the third one, because it's more natural
    from bio-mechanical point of view. But the middle variant is much more epic.
    So in the end I've chosen to work with this pose.

legioner3dsketch.jpg
    Now, this is already the overdraw of the basic 3d model dummy. Pretty rough, but for now it's ok. I think
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Cool, I like it. Can't wait to see the model.
  • Valeriy Vdovin
    legioner3dsketch2.jpg
    Just the most basic proportions mesh, I'll clean this up later
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    That's really cool man, I like the way you're going with it, and appreciate your motivation! For someone who isn't used to working on fantasy or human figures, you're doing a great job with it and you've definitely got a good eye for it.

Keep it up my friend, I look forward to seeing this piece evolve along with your future endeavors.
  • Valeriy Vdovin
    Thanks a lot, guys, support is really what I need. I've watched a couple of tutors before getting to the job), but surely it's not enough.
    I've created this sketchbook post beacuse I needed some positive stimul of working on this project without putting it eventually away (you know how it happens;)) and also for uploading my WIPS for some constructive critique.
    Thats' why any kind of feedback is appreciated - corrections, advices, etc.