Replies

• spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C looks really nice, i do like the warmer, more saturated colors in b tho i think they fit the style.

-Woog
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    woo, thanks all ^^
    looks like i'll be rollin with c... i'll try and throw some b in the end as well, like one extra shot of him with it on.

and imma bout to hurl mah comp out the windowz :poly127:
    If anyone's got some advice/tips/whatev on how to go about these kinda hard surface sub d things it'd be great to hear.

It's mostly the back part that's owning me atm. Theres weird shaped, half spheres, with flat planes connectnig it to funny shaped cylinders... I'll keep at it, really frustrating to be so fscked on this one final bit is all (i might be overthinking these shapes too, i guess)
    I started thinking of backup plans just in case :\

07d.jpg

07b.jpg
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    I would try modeling the helmet as if it were closed. Modeling it as it is shown in the concept is very misleading and ambiguous. I bet you'll get a better sense of the form and a cool design if you go this route. Keep it big, keep it chunky. Then worry about the little stuff.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool idea firebert... i actually just tried taking the top part off and breaking it down into basic components after doing a bunch of sketches. Gonna have to have a few goes at this i think >_<

Quick second attempt anyway, not sure how much i'll be able to cover up with smaller details and texturing/paint yet :\

07f.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    the front is looking good, not sure about the back... thing, I know the concept art is weird.
  • Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Yea, I'm pretty sure this is going into the inspiration folder. Love the character your work has!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zacD: cheers man. Yeah, i tried sketching it out and if it were just plain shapes it'd be fine but everything's kinda stylized and hard to translate to 3d :\ Hoping i get somthing decent in the end ^^
    chaosquack: yay, thank you :)
    konstruct: :P (imma hafta borrow your leet hard edge skills on my next one i think)

hookay, i swear it'll (probably >_>) look better once i get some colours and spec on there. Finishing off the neck hp and lp now then i gotta get back to the madness that is the back part.

Just under 13k right now, really don't wanna go over 13.5 (hell, this should've been doable with well under 10k but... i'll go optimize crazy on my next one :shifty:) Still sticking to the single 2048 at least :P

08b.jpg
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    I think this looks fantastic, and really like the proportions of the character.
  • The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really awesome. The only thing that bugs me, and other people have said it, is the arm muscles. Mostly in the bicep/shoulder region. That aside, this is one of the cooler characters I have seen in a while
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    Love the origional helmet thing design. Also, the body's slightly warped design (maybe accidental) reminds me of the characters in Brink. Love it!

Skin too perfect. how bot some hairs, scars, moles...
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    I was actually going to say that i think thats as far as dirtying this fucker up should go.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    p442: cheers ^^
    kozmonaut: hehe, thanks man. Yeah, forcing myself to get started on my next char right away... first thing up is the full anatomy sculpt so hoping i'll get some practice there
    roostermap: thank you :P Actually someone else mentioned brink to me the other day, only thing i've seen of it is that black dude's head on the splash damage website... i really gotta check it out. Cool idea on some additional surface detail, could help sell the realism thing.
    butt: haha, i'd prolly agree with you on that man. Trying to refrain from splashing grunge all over him :\

aight, reeaallly close to finishing now i think. Got that fuggin annoying back pat to finish still and the textures still need more love but gettin close. Starting up my new dude today too, gotta get things done quicker :poly118:

edit: just realised i had the spec turned down waaay to low on the helm, gonna have to imagine it being a bit brighter and shinier for now :P

08c.jpg
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    YOwza! Holy crap that's some sweet work Nizza. The bicep looks a little bit strange (pinched?) but apart from that this is just amazing.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    He needs like a ringed laminated notepad or something hanging from his shoulder strap. Don't ask me, it was the voice in my head. very nice base textures.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garth: :P cheers man. And agree'd on the anat. issues, hopin to get it better on the next char
    kp: lol, that is random :P (and cool. hope i've got some energy to go back in and throw extra accessories on later)

well i really pussed out on the back helm bit :\
    Really tired so i wanna go get some rest and play some more l4d2 for a bit... and start that new char.
    Gotta do some more final pics (construction sheet, etc). The textures, post and final presentation could prolly use some more love but i'll see how i feel about it a bit later.

finals_test02.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arg i never know what to do with this final presentation stuff, i got a habit of just abandoning projects and moving onto whatever else.

Anyway, did the lighter mode too which i think matches the colours from my textures better (closer to the original pic i think) but i miss the coolness of the night render... meh
    oh and head details. Was doing some 'posing' in maya (using the soft selection to move stuff around) and noticed a fair bit of detail from teh sculpt made it over to the nrml map.

...and the spitters in l4d2 are gross (just saw one up close with my machete :))

finals_test03-light-mode.jpg

head_details.jpg
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    don't wanna spam pnp with my threads just yet and it's kindof related... working out the initial shapes always takes a bit for me, kinda fiddly :P

haven't touched on the arms or legs just yet btw (and i like doing head sculpts seperatley :P). He'll be completley covered in clothing (save for his head and forearms) on the final but this stuff be important, so crits and comments be greatly appreciated at this stage especially ^^

01a.jpg
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Enjoying this vibe alot! It's working very well.
    Only crit would be that some areas might benefit for more 'wedging' aka shape interlocking into one another instead of blending together.

It's working beautifully for the torso connection with the legs and head, but the arms themselves could benefit from more silhouetting - I think.

Cant wait to see more!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior, really cool idea man. You got me back into my old bridgman books again :)
    Some squarer, solid shapes should really help with the ugly roundness and crap that's been going on. And yeah, i srsly gotta work on the arms moar (esp since they're the only bit that'd be seen on the final model too >_<).

Anyways, mini update. Almost finished a shotgun for him too so i'll crack open a new thread in a bit i s'pose. I remember hearing it'd be a good idea to finish off a smaller accessory first... helps with motivation on the full char later on.

01b1.jpg
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    really looking nice so far, do you have a concept in mind?
  • Mladen Jovicic
    the 5s general came out ace man!:) but noo weapon?