Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] First Gun: Barrett M107

Hey all!

This is the first legitimate gun I'll be making as a game art portfolio piece. I have the hi-poly pretty much done, and I'm currently working on the unwraps for the low poly to prepare for normal and AO baking. Here's some glamor shots. Sorry if the lighting ain't so great.

1zb5o2f.jpg

1zf0oq9.jpg

4gp2bn.jpg

2w1w4lc.jpg
3325gyx.jpg

wlq8vc.jpg

2sbx1c6.jpg

34sl46s.jpg

Comments and critique welcome, as always. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Replies

• rares
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rares polycounter lvl 9
    very nice and detailed, i'd like to see some wireframes without smooth if you have the time, especially on the back area of the gun
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sweet dude, really clean details, since your still working on the high poly your probably aware of these things but; the area where the barrel meets the main body needs some more detail and the cocking bolt should be a little thicker

here's some refs http://www.pixagogo.com/1706244501

and by some i mean like 200
  • RickFX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is that the thing from smokin aces? O.o
  • ArcticNova83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, folks!

Oh, yeah, I just remembered, this is sort of an obsolete version of the hi poly. Since I've been saving in increments, I've made some changes in later iterations, especially the area where the barrel meets the body. I still need to make some adjustments on that, though, so hold tight.

Thanks for the link, btw, Dippndots. My instructor pointed that out to me, and I forgot the name. ;)

Also, sorry about the white lines around the images, if that's bothering anyone. I won't save in .png anymore. What's the traditional standard for posting renders here? Would that be .jpg?

Indeed, RickFX. That is the gun from Smokin' Aces. Though I think that might have just been the M82. The stock is much shorter on the M82, only enough to accomodate for a scope.
  • ArcticNova83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bumpity, bumpity! Update! And. . . a problem.

sfvswy.jpg

During the normal bake of this thing's magazine, I'm getting reds where I logically shouldn't be getting them.

svgwfn.jpg

I could expand this part of the cage to five times what it should need, and I see little to no change. There are no holes, and no penetration in this area whatsoever. Why does this happen, and how do I fix it without stretching the cage to all hell?

PS: This isn't the only time I've run into this problem.