Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Adam Fransson

Just updated my portfolio here and figured I'd put it up here for review. So, all crits and feedback is welcome. (And yes, I know using a free webspace/domain is real crappy, but gonna fix that soon)

Cheers!

Replies

• Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nice site man really digging the scrolling/static page, my only crit is that the 3d artwork link is just a link to the main page, I would make a gallery page and send the link there. Also the Diffuse/Specular/Normal links at the bottoms of the trailer images could be in a bigger font.

looks good though
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice m8. It's good that you reminded me, you see, I used to have a 3d and 2d section, but since I suck at concepting I decided to remove it. Didn't really think about that it would render the 3d link useless.

As for the links, I'll try making them larger, or perhaps I'll just display the images directly instead :)
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    I'd say lose the skull, it doesn't add to your portfolio, and the portfolio is only as strong as its worst piece. Or, you could work some more on the skull, adding some crisp forms in there and a texture that looks more like bone. And some lightings. ^^ For now i'd take it down tho, and put it back up after some thorough reworkings.

Other than that the contents look cool. I'm not a fan of having to click into a new page to see your work, i second putting it on the front page. But the "next/prev" thing you got going on the sub-page kinda makes up for that
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow you're 20 now, when did that happen man :thumbdown: I hate aging, liking the work.

Good clean layout too!
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Nice work, i particularly like the Inn scene. I agree that the skull dosen't really fit very well with the rest of the stuff you have.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    hey man, cool work and nice website, my crits are about your spelling and grammer. try and be really careful with it, i remember listening to a presentation by epic about their recruitment policy, and they said if they so much as see a spelling mistake in your cv or cover letter, they throw it away there and there, as it shows a lack of attention to detail bla bla bla, which is probably a bit extreme, but you should be careful with it.

"Attending to the education I′ve also broaden my skills" was the sentance that stood out to me while reading your description
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work Tiros :)
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback. I took down the skull and changed the iffy sentence. (I hope it's correct, I'm gonna run the whole site through a spell checker once I found a proper one for web pages :p)

Oh, and I'm not 20 yet, btw. I figured I might as well write so while updating the folio, seeing as I will be on the 20th of dec.

I'm still not sure what to do with the 3d artwork link though. You guys mentioned something about a gallery, but I'm not quite sure about it. I quite like it how it is tbh.

Cheers!
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Work looks good. Given how fast a lot of people go through these sites it might be a good idea to add some further indication that each one of those initial images is actually part of a larger set.

Specifically the top image with the pink trees is nice, but when you see the larger environment that it is apart of its much more impressive. You might want to make the images slowly change from one to another on the front page using a javascript to show the initial sequence of images or something like that. You don't want people confusing the simple accessibility of your site (which is a good thing) with a simple portfolio.

A lot of people just put these images on the front of their site because its all they have done. So you might get some people not even clicking on those links. Which would be s shame considering how much there is to that top environment.
  • Krypteia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Tiros, if you want someone to go over the site and do a general copy edit on it to check the grammar - I'll be glad to give it a shot.

Or, at the very least, pass it off to my mom who is a copy editor. :-)
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jcose: I will deffo look into that JavaScript you're talking about. I'm usually not a fan of using Java/flash or alike as it may cause lag/long loading times on certain computers. Yes, even too much Java will cause a bunch of lag on the page, but it's a good tip, thanks man.

Krypteia: Hey man, part of me says I would be a fool to turn down the offer, but I wouldn't want to be a bother. So if it's really alright then I would gladly accept it :)
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not too keen on you having Kevin's talon wall in your portfolio. As far as a “learning the style” piece it's fine, but using it in your portfolio seem like you're conning your own integrity. Considering your execution and quality of other work, this could just as easily be an original piece.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've had some comments about that one really. Mostly just shy ones saying 'I think I remember that one from somewhere else' or 'That looks very inspired by something I've seen before', and what they are obviously trying to say is 'lol, you ripped someones work off you nab'.

I'm not saying they're wrong, and am open for discussion on the matter, but tbh I really don't see what the fuss is all about. Say it was a 2d picture I were working off, and had credited the concept artist, then all would be fine. But when it's a 3d model, then it's wrong? I mean, I didn't copy his wire frame or anything like it, I just looked at the design as if it were a concept and modeled it.

If you now were referring to the fact that it shows a lack of creativity, (And please note that I'm not trying to come off as rude or arrogant here) then there's quite a bunch of uncreative people at epic and other studios.

Kevin is a great artist and his work inspired me, just as any other great concept would. And I wanted to model it, as a learning experience, fun and an awesome piece :)

Cheers
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Sunshine and puppy farts aside, the reality of it is this; All it takes is any one person from a company you applied to seeing that, and saying "oh he stole that from that unreal guy" and you're out. The original context in which that piece was created will not be up to discussion. It would plant the seed that all your other work is stolen. Simply removing one image will put your in a much safer position.

I'll gladly continue this discussion in PMs if you're not convinced. As you can be confident that I wrote about four more, less tactful, paragraphs concerning this topic.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    overall your stock looks cool.

Comments:

- Prometeus uses too simple textures. It is good that u can do rather neat texture type variation in a large environment but textures themselves look too simple. Lack of color variation, dirt (subtle even if it is a "clean" place), details etc.

- old house has same issue - textures lack "sharpness" and more visible details. Just too pale and uniform.

- Generator trailer Normals look incomplete. U baked Normals only from hi-res. However, u should have been added to that also Normal information from scratches and other tear/wear that u have in your Diffuse. U could do that wiht crazybump or plugin for PS.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose polycounter lvl 11
    Tiros wrote: »
    Jcose: I will deffo look into that JavaScript you're talking about. I'm usually not a fan of using Java/flash or alike as it may cause lag/long loading times on certain computers. Yes, even too much Java will cause a bunch of lag on the page, but it's a good tip, thanks man.

Yeah I'm not a fan of flash and javascript either. I was hesitant to even suggest it, but if its done well it might allow you to keep the page short, clean, and intuitive while showing more of your work up front.

Alternatively you could just take some of the other images of that scene and put them on the front page, or just give some sort of indication that there are more images. maybe even thumbnails users could wave their mouse over to toggle the image that is displayed there.

It's really not that big of an issue. Most of the time if your put your best work foward, and its good enough, employers will click around your site some to see if there is more. It would just suck if someone was in a hurry and didn't take the time to figure out there was more to your site that what was on the front page.