Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

- DYRT - SOLDIER -

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Firebert polycounter lvl 15
With the loving grace and permission of the awinspiring jouste, I'm working on his Dyrt Soldier concept.

so this will be a WIP

the kick ass concept:
dyrt_soldier.jpg

Final Sculpt Images : 11/19/09 w/TURNTABLE RAR file
dyrt_char_sheet.jpg
dyrt_final_front.jpg
dyrt_final_rear34.jpg

here's the gun:
dyrt_soldier_gun.jpg

and here's the body:
soldier_nov11.jpg

i need to widen this dude up fo sho... add in some more stuff... then slap him in zb...

i'll have a head sculpt up tomorrow night...

Replies

• whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, broaden shoulders for sure.

Cool concept.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Looks pretty solid. Great transition from the concept.
    Yeah definitely broaden him up and maybe give him a hunched position. I also think you should bulk up and add more depth to teh backbone kinda thing on his back. Too flat IMO.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    WIDER!!!1 :P

looks like a really fun concept to work on actually. Will be cool to see how you tackle it in zb.
    And don't be afraid to push proportions more (can always pull back later) :)

cool stuff so far man
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Looking epic :D!

Just a note, in the concept the end of the gun is triangular with 3 prongs, yours is square and has 2 prongs :).
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    try to grasp the flow of the concept, right now you have a lot of straight endges which have a certain flow in the concept, its ne nice start but there is definitely some stuff you can work on
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the encouragement guys!

whats_true: thanks man!

butt_sahib: i dunno about the hunched position... i think if i go that route it will really take away from his gesture and flatten out the back a little too much... i do need to fatten it up along his lats and obliques though... you are TOTALLY RIGHT about the spine... i saw that yesterday and i messed with it some this morning (not very visible in this screen though)... nice catch :)

Nizza_waaarg: hey dude! thanks for stopping by! i hear ya on pushing it, tried doing that some this morning, so let me know what you think. you should really take a whack at that wolverine that you were going to do for the comicon... i'd love to see what you could do with that!

Muzz: thanks dude! there are actually 3 prongs, you just can't see it because of the angle, but i really should break that bevel down a little wider... it is too square atm for sure. that would also add some nice contours for the rail mount for the scope too... thanks for the crit!

Neox: seriously, when i woke up this morning, that was the FIRST thing i said to myself... "damn those lines are too straight..." no contours hardly at all... i worked with it a little bit, but i know there's more i can push on that end. i really appreciate the advice man. thanks :D

here's just a quick screen of the proportion tweaks... haven't moved all the accessories yet, but that's not a big deal to tweak those into their spots. maybe push it even a little bit further? need to fatten up the lats and obliques :P

view_front.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The feel seem too rounded, mostly the toes.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    shoulders come out straighter from his neck as though he was hunching his shoulders up a bit, before they slope down.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff man! I think that's one of my favorite jouste concepts. keepin an eye on this one.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    cool. the gun has 3 prongs.

edit: oh you have 3 prongs, nm.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

aesir: will do! thanks for pointing that out! that really will make a huge difference.

just a quick rough in sculpt before doing a retopo and clean up. i have my opinions about it, but i'll let you guys be the judge.

head_rough_in.jpg
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Needs much smaller eyes. Less traditional lips. Super thin. Bigger mouth. Much less cheekbone definition. It looks waaay too human.

good basic form makin though
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    very expensive indeed.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diggin the head thus far, but gotta agree with aesir more or less. A little more shape pushing would look pretty cool (decreasing the chin a little, less pronounced cheek bones, smaller eyes, etc).

anyway, still a badass sculpt, hope you post more soon man, like seeing this progress :)
  • dv8ix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its got Style!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    yeah bigger mouth, squint-ier eyes
  • Junkie_XL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Junkie_XL polycounter lvl 14
    The blockout of the body looks good. Can't wait to see what it looks like after a zbrush pass. :)
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree with all your comments... he does look way too human at this point... really need to think in larger shapes.

i made some small adjustments in maya with some scaling for the eyes and mouth and to check the proportion of the head to the body with the features roughed in.

i'll get everything tweaked and positioned tonight so i can get him in ZB.

ZacD: the toes are just stand in before the zbrush pass... so yeah, they're blobby atm :)

dyrt_soldier_body2.jpg
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    awesome man, looks great. love the concept.
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    sweet concept. looks great so far :)
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Looking pretty spiffy, though his head's way too big right now.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner, brandoom: thanks guys! yeah, jouste's concept work is awesome.

Swizzle: thanks for stopping by man! yeah, i agree... i shrunk it back some more...

first zbrush pass:

dyrt_zb1.jpgdyrt_zb2.jpg
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    dude! this is looking JOHN DEERE! I can't wait to see it textured :D
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, bout time you updated >:{

and it's lookin dope, the back shot especially...
    only thing i can notice is mebbe a smaller head, killer update :)
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Nice looking dude you've got here so far.
    I'd like to suggest comparing it to the concept a bit more though. Right now your 3d sculpt gives me the feeling that the dude fits inside the suit fine, while in the concept it looks a bit big for him. The sculpt also feels a little squat. I think you can see it best when you compare the concept to the sculpt side by side. Here's a quick comparison with some of the changes I would make.

paintov.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    This is awesome dude! First time i've seen anyone do joustice to a 3d version of one of his concepts. Mouth needs more teeth, and to be wider, but that's a little thing!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys! still need to sculpt in the head like i talked about before. forgot to mention that last time.

OrganizedChaos: I see what you're saying about the suit needing to feel a little too big. I made some adjustments... let me know

made some quick tweaks to the size of the head as it is continually brought up before i go in and start to really finalize everything and pose him out :)

paintover as you please by all means.
    dyrt_zb3.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    starting to look awesomes
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    DAT ASS!

Looking great Firebert!
  • Zack Fowler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Fowler polycounter lvl 11
    Saw this in WAYWO and it made me say "Oooh!" like a little kid who just found something shiny. Great stuff, Firebert. I like the amount of thickness you've given all the details.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    Loved the concept when I first saw it, and fantastic execution of it. As OrganisedChaos pointed out, though, the sculpt does seem a bit short in comparison to the concept. I think the shoulders in the concept also have a more pronounced downward slope to them.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still working on tweaks, but here's what i'm thinkin with the new face
    face_sulpt.jpg
  • raiskul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    definately better than the first version of the head, it captures the style of the concept very well. I vote for sticking with head #2
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good!

BTW the arms are too long, i'm pretty sure the forearm is about the rite length but its total length is wrong. The forearm should be starting just under the height of the pecks. Look at the concept, the guy would have to hunch over to itch his junk, go with it!

I love how this guy is Earth Worm Jim and Cable smashed together.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah it just takes some time and then BOOM! sex :)

Lookign great. Agree that the new head is alot better. Have you tried adding curvature to the leg?
  • sub_roland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sub_roland polycounter lvl 12
    looking fricken awesome firebert, though i do think you still need to shorten up the arms a touch to get it more on concept, it looks like they fingers would just go past the the middle of the thigh guards, while yours go past them, but its not like it ruins the sculpt/model, keep it up man.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woo, cool update man.
    Liking the new head, the lack of defined cheek bones should make it fit in better. And kinda agree on the arms, they look like they should be slightly shorter and taper in a bit more towards the elbow and wrist, tho could just be the angle (in two minds about it after a second look).
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    nice i abandoned my jouste model after my pc died and i lost the files, it can be hard when going away from your traditional style and trying to follow something so out there,

i agree with others, int he concept the head is barely larger than the knee pads, almost like the koopas from the classic mario movie but not quiet so extreme
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    hips wider, grenades need to be a lot bigger.
  • CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Looking great man keep it up!
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit and encouragement guys!
    I went back and made the head smaller and tweaked it out with more teeth showing. I also shortened up the arms. Not TOO much, but about where they looked functional. I probably could have made them shorter, but I am happy with them.

So this guy is done for the sculpt. I'm moving onto another sculpt before baking this guy down. I'm trying a new approach to keeping my personal work fresh. Since free time is extremely sparse, I don't want to fall into a rut of working on finishing one piece over the course of who knows how long when life suddenly and typically gets in the way (runonsentence :P) I'm just trying to keep everything fresh so I have a pile of high polys ready for low poly uv baking and after I finish each one, I have another one at the ready. So this will be risen from the dead once I finish my list of high polys.

Hope you guys like how he came out.

I had a really big issue with rendering these. Ready below and let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks :)

dyrt_char_sheet.jpg
    dyrt_final_front.jpg
    dyrt_final_rear34.jpg
    I rendered these all out at a higher doc res in ZBrush. I export the doc, and open in photoshop and they end up being half the size of the ZBrush doc. Ummmmm, whhhhaaaaaa? Happens at random too. The two renders above are the only ones that rendered at full resolution. The rest ended up outputting at half, regardless of how many times I export, or render it. Anybody else had this issue? I've had it before, but just kinda dealt with it. Now it is just annoying. Using 3.1 still... 3.5 is too buggy for me to feel remotely comfortable using it.
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woo, bout time you updated man :P

not sure on the zbrush doc exporting thing tbh (i usually just prnt scrn and call it a day :P), could try resetting to default setting and such but that might just be a waste.

Anyways, turned out real cool man =D (especially the back, <3 the detail)
    It'd be cool if you ran straight through and got the low poly of this done, colour would rock. Tho it sounds like a cool plan to keep a bunch of projects up so things don't get stale.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    Very neat. The only thing that's bothering me is the stroke behind his knees
    I'm kind of curious, what's the list of things you're going to make?

It seems like a nice approach to working on things, keeps everything fresh and gives you a variety. And maybe when you come back to this you'll see a few more things you'd like to tweak.
    I'm slowly working on my portfolio too (any chance I get outside of work), it's pretty tempting to try the same.
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a turntable of the fat bastard if anyone is interested.

nizza: you're right. it wouldn't take long to bake this guy down, but i've made a game plan for a very specific reason and i'm sticking to it.

organized: ahhhhh, well i would tell you...but i'm sorry... no can do... you'll just have to keep an eye out :) i'm hoping that it will keep things upbeat and well oiled.
  • BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12
    Nice model man!
    Remind me of Nemesis!
    I reckon that spine hardware could be pushed out a bit, looks like a texture rather than actual mesh!
    Keep it up man :)
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    hey i finally got a chance to post on this bad boy! sorry i wasn't posting throughout the creation but i didn't want to influence anything.

ok first off this is some pretty awesome shit my friend. i was really suprised you got that much detail in his hardware, i LOVE the embellishments that you did on the grenade and the rifle, i actually assumed i created those in my concept but was happily suprised when i saw that it was all your interpretation and that i indeed am not as delusional and arrogant as i originally thought.

VERY super job on the damaged chest piece. and a very awesome job on the back. the back is the MOST IMPORTANT PART of a character as far as i'm concerned. cause when you are playing that bad boy for 6+ hours you better have something awesome to look at.

and i know i'm rambling on but you NAILED the flabs (flabby abs, an anatomy term i've invented where something can be both muscular and flabby at the same time).

i am aware you are all done this kinda thing but he needs some more movement in his pose, twist him up a bit, hunch him over, he shouldn't have the same amount of weight on each feet standing like some statue.

but that's getting picky. i've never really had something this close to my concept ever done up so it was an absolute honor. what usually happens is people jump down the modeler's neck about not hitting my concept on the nose and they stop doing what they're doing because they aren't masochists. you my friend are a glutton for punishment but it looks really great.

i know i need to get my shapes a little more clear but it was really awesome to see the interpretations you got from them, i am very very happy with your end result. you rock firebert. thanks so much.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    Great work! no crist from me. Are you going to get this printed?

Jouste: haha I'm one of the slackers ;). But that's also because the files where all lost when I installed Windows 7 without backing up the files (ya, pretty stupid).
  • Paulewog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paulewog polycounter lvl 8
    great concept. I love the cartoon style. Nailed that one. Not only that, the model matches the concept very well. Cant wait to see this finished