Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[PORTFOLIO] Samuel Griffiths - Aspiring Character Artist

Samuel Griffiths - Character Artist

Not much content - though I wanted to get to a stage where I can keep replacing my weakest piece, which at this time is riddick.

Looking to get some work experience or an entry level job in the UK.

My focus is to get some anatomy studies up to help show my understanding, male and female.

Then another character - then replace my weakest.

Replies

• Omar_Nabiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omar_Nabiev polycounter lvl 18
    I like the simple and clean navigation, that's a big +!
    YOu're right, the Riddick part is very weak, the "knight" - is also, you should remove them, till you learn anatomy. Head speed sculpts iare my choice!

Btw, is the website downloaded template or you did it on your own ?
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, I'm an aspiring character artist too, your work looks pretty good. I definately think you should show some wireframes and texture flats though. It's always a good idea to show how you got from point A. to point B.

Contact information should be apparent all over the place. When I clicked that link it tried to open outlook express on me. What about your phone number etc?

Same with resume, have that link open a page with your resume posted on it, then provide a downloadable word or pdf document.

Your opening page is good though, well presented and the work is right there in your face.

You might want to consider getting rid of the flash plugin for your images, I use it too and I'm thinking about getting rid of it, it takes too long to load images. I always found that large images on the front page, that when you click them open up a new window/tab that is a scroll down of the final piece, wireframes, and flats works well.

Good luck!
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I coded the site myself in notepad, html css.

Thanks for the enlightening crits, tomorrow I shall add my phone number, aswell as redesign how I show my cv - also put my email over the whole thing more!

Adding wires and flats is definitely in my to-do list, I wasn't sure what the cleanest way to go about doing it is, but I'll figure this out tomorrow.

Honestly I'll probably take down the slimbox thing as you commented it does take a while to load, when debugging on my computer I couldn't anticipate this - but very well spotted!
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    I coded the site myself in notepad, html css.

Thanks for the enlightening crits, tomorrow I shall add my phone number, aswell as redesign how I show my cv - also put my email over the whole thing more!

Adding wires and flats is definitely in my to-do list, I wasn't sure what the cleanest way to go about doing it is, but I'll figure this out tomorrow.

Honestly I'll probably take down the slimbox thing as you commented it does take a while to load, when debugging on my computer I couldn't anticipate this - but very well spotted!

Hey something as simple as http://www.trinity3d.com/media/evermotion/3d_people_vol1/3d_people_vol1_sample1_wireframe.jpg
    would work for the wireframe shots. Just a grayscale render with normal maps on it and the wireframe composited over the top.

For texture flats you could do something like http://www.antonsundstrom.se/images/work02_subc/subc_flats.jpg just quick jpegs of whatever maps you used.

The slimbox thing isn't a huge deal, but you just don't want to give a recruiter any reason to bypass looking at your work.
  • mLink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mLink polycounter lvl 10
    The main page is clean and simple, which is good.
    Outlook loads up really slowly for me, so when I clicked "contact" expecting another page with your info..I thought it was just broken. That is, until outlook popped up in a face a minute later.
    You might want to consider having the resume show up on another page with a button to download it.

I used to use lightbox on my site, but it's just too slow to show off your work.
    1mb or more for those images is way too big.
    Try using photoshop's save for web, it should help cut down the file size to something manageable.

Keep at it, and practice those anatomy models! =]
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reduced sizes of images by around 900%, added more obvious contact details,

will update CV tomorrow
  • Wayfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For a Junior, stuff is pretty good :)
    Riddick model packs a punch, maybe presentation could be bit better in this case.
    I would add some info over the images too.
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going to fix the seams n shit on my riddick model, retexture some areas and re-render with a decent background.

UPDATES TO SITE :

Added on-site CV (WAITING FOR HOST TO UPDATE)
    Added Phone and Email visibly
    Made PNG images smaller
    Downloadable CV
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Images get cutoff when viewing your site through Google Chrome.
  • woogity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man not so much crits for the site. but as for the work therein, Omar Nabiev and Mlink have it right. you need to work on your anatomy. aside from that your skin textures for me really bring down some otherwise interesting pieces. to a few studies on skin tonal ranges and work on making your skin less monochromatic. the last head is the strongest piece imo id put that as the first image, first impressions are key. Good luck!

-Woog
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks like you're doing the right thing - keep making those characters!

You're off to a good start, and I like how you have both full game-ready models, and Zsculpts. What about showing some texture sheets?
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok slimbox is definately going!

college today though, so that'll have to wait a while.

Thanks for all the great crits, will show flats and wires too!
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Removed slim box.
    Downsized images.
    Changed how work is displayed.
    Added more work.

TODO -

Fix resume page..displays like shit.
    Show wires and flats
    Become a better artist
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updated with a little new content
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I added some more works and I have some more in the works.

Feedback appreciated still. I am now theming my folio more towards character art instead of adding environment pieces.