Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low Poly Mech in Progress

Hey polycounters! Thanks for the warm reception thus far... it's great to have joined a board that actually sees some real activity for a change.

mech_5.png

So here's that model that I first posted about. It's very low poly (at least I think so) and has gotten progressively lower over the last week or so. Let me say... that it's not really what I envisioned when I first got started... but I learned very quickly that with the limitations I'm dealing with, I'm having to make some sacrifices. I could do much better, believe me... but I've reminded myself that I grew up playing amazing games on my Commadore and it wasn't the graphics of a game that hooked me... it was the fact that it was actually fun to play.

With back culling turned on it's only taking up about 75 polys on the DS... exactly what I need to stay under the 2048/1536 tri/quad limit and still have enemies, projectiles and some terrain. I keep changing the feet, but have a hope that texturing might be able to work some magic there. I'll probably change them again in the next few minutes...

Replies

• Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Basically a 2k tri limit for the mech? Some wires would be helpful but as it already seems looks like an issue with your edge along the legs. It doesn't look properly connected and the edge looks like a bevel'ed tri. Overall shape looks pretty good, i'd say if you can it might be interesting to see some more geometry on the top of the mech, to break up the boxy look.
  • die_Kröte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it's a 2K or so tri limit on screen at any time, so I'm leaving room for quite a few other models and things. I would absolutely love to have more geometry... but keeping it really slim is very necessary.

That spot on the top of the lower leg (the really visible tri) is risen a bit... I flattened it but thought it looked better as it was. A lot of the modifications I've made have been the result of loading it on the DS and seeing what looks good in the final output.

I'm hoping, that once I can get more on screen and get a better idea on how many poly's I might have left over after displaying more... I can clean this guy up a bit so he doesn't look so boxy.
  • 3DLee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's boxy, but I kinda like it. It has character, and for 75 polys, that's pretty awesome! Texture work could help bring out a lot too.
  • die_Kröte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DLee wrote: »
    It's boxy, but I kinda like it. It has character, and for 75 polys, that's pretty awesome! Texture work could help bring out a lot too.

I appreciate that... and that is exactly what I'm hoping for. Don't get me wrong... it's more than 75 polys total in the model... it's 94 faces according to Blender... but still hey... it's low.

I'm not sure if there are any DS homebrew players about, but I'd be happy to post and share progress here (animation I'm working on, etc...) if anyone is interested.