Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Jeremy A. Miller (Character Artist)

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
SubPablo polycounter lvl 17
Hey everybody, I'm in the process of looking for work and could use a few more eyes on my portfolio. Critiques are appreciated.

http://jeremyamiller.wordpress.com/

Thanks to Rick Stirling for his portfolio site thread. and Snowfly in the same thread who's site layout I sort of (completely?) stole.

Replies

• Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man,

Tremendous character work on WAR. I was hooked on that game for a while, until they nerfed my sorceress!!!! ;P

If I had anything to add to your port, it would be some more Z sculpts, and a couple examples showing you understand the in's and out's of next gen asset creation... just to cover bases. There's plenty of work out there, but rounding it out in that fashion will just give you more options.

Maybe make a 'game version' of that Kaine bust?

Good stuff!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    nice!
    I thought you did skateboard designs for a second from the thumbnails hah
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    awesome awesome awesome

It's one thing to have worked with you, but to see the bulk of your best presented really puts it in perspective. Great stuff, Jeremy! Good luck out there.
  • SubPablo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jon Rush: Thanks for the comments, I definitely feel like there's a big hole where current-gen pieces should be. I'm working towards getting that fixed! -and sorry about your sorceress!

Rooster: hah, I never saw that until now! All the repetition of that shape on our Tomb Kings content burned it into my mind.

Sage: thx man

cholden: thanks buddy, and congrats on the new job!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Hey awesome stuff man, I love that kain bust and the leg texture on that brom-ish chick is f'cking rad. No chance of seeing the flat I wonder...
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    your work is siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick, I LUV it!
  • ctrlZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apart from "sick" and "great" sort a comments. I think you probably need to show wires and texture sheets and I could not get the reason for a WIP section.. how long does it take you to finish a WIP usually? is a vital question. Coz right now it seems to me that you are running out of work. If I come back to your site after a month or two, will those WIPs (work in progress aka about to be finished soon) be finished? coz otherwise it will not leave a good statement. :)
  • Dippndots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet site, the layout looks pretty good, though I would widen the Mr. Portfolio box so the whole top menu bar is as wide as the white box below it (maybe add some more info since the box might look awkwardly empty at that size0.

Also I would adjust a few of the thumbnails so the viewer gets a better idea of what they are looking at, The 1st 3 are the best previews (and the 5th one).

Definitely agree with ctrlZ, some texture maps, wire maps and normal maps or w/e would be really good to include.

That armored dude is sooo filthy nice job
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    they would actually make awesome skateboard designs btw :D

the bone snake is great
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    awesome diffuse work, man
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Amazing work!

I'd also like to see wires, and texture flats.

:)
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Phenomenal texture work Jeremy! Love it all.

- BoBo
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome stuff Jeremy! :) It was great being on a team with you while it all lasted. I hope that you land something deserving of your talents. You definitely can paint textures well.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Excellent work. Dont know why your posting though. if people like you arent employed then BOO to everyone concerned :/
    I love your takes on the different concepts you were given. I myself am working on a charcter using those concepts and i must say...they are fun to work on :D *envious*

Im not sure if he's allowed to show the maps/wires (depending on the company). but i do know someone who works over at EA-M and he posted flats somewhere on the netz.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Bah, you could have put up the whole Chaos Giant you did. The only thing that was left over from the regular Giant I made was the 'pants'. Still a good representation of your work, though.
  • SubPablo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun: Thx man! I'll have to find out if I can show flats.

killingpeople: Hah thanks man, it's good to see my love returned! ;)

ctrlZ: Excellent point! It can be way too easy for me to never go back and finish a "work in progress". If I don't get these done soon, I'll take them down until they are. -I'll look into adding wires, and find out if I'm cleared to show texture flats as well. Thx for the input!

Dippndots: That was bugging me as well, but I think you may have just pushed me over the edge into paying for the ability to tweak the premade layouts from wordpress. I'd been on the fence for awhile. I'll see about those preview icons as well. -Thx!

rooster: heheh thx again!

Sectaurs/JacqueChoi : Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

BoBo_the_seal: Thanks man! Let me know if those former Mythic guys get out of hand. I'm sure I have plenty of blackmail material on most of them. ;p

TelekineticFrog: Thanks buddy, you've been missed! Your Halloween tombstone represents more than just you these days, hah.

butt_sahib: Thx man! We had a fantastic concept team, I'm glad so many people got to see and be inspired by it like we did. -hopefully I can get wires and flats up.

Xenobond: I'll have to look at it again. I just remember feeling a little sleazy at the thought of posting the whole thing since it was started directly from your giant and bits of your texture were still mostly intact in places.

-Thanks for all the feedback everybody!
    -Quick question, does it bother anybody that the navigation isn't standardized? (clicking on some images goes straight to the image, but others go to a subgallery with more than one image.) It seems like the only way around that would be to make each loose image open in it's own page. - but then it would still be displaying the forced medium size image from flickr requireing an extra click to see the full sized shot. Which method would be less annoying?
  • Grooveholmes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grooveholmes polycounter lvl 17
    Killer stuff Jeremy, I don't think you've got much to worry about
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    oh man that spider is crazy!

about flats: what I've heard is that people can figure a way to extract textures or dump the video memory from the game so as long as the assets are in the game and public it's find to show flats.

Of coarse everyone asking for them are going to complain about the UV layouts you guys had to conform to.

P.S. I want to see a full rez version of your red bird-guy-thing
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    love the WAR work.

The Chaos Knight and Spider Boss are sick as shit
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    -Quick question, does it bother anybody that the navigation isn't standardized? (clicking on some images goes straight to the image, but others go to a subgallery with more than one image.) It seems like the only way around that would be to make each loose image open in it's own page. - but then it would still be displaying the forced medium size image from flickr requireing an extra click to see the full sized shot. Which method would be less annoying?

while some ppl make it their living complaining on these sorts of things, the truth is simple: just like a hot a chick - if your work is good u can get away with murder.

regardless, its fine.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I wish I had four hands cuz I'd give your portfolio 4 thumbs up!
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    awesome stuff dude!! you have come a long way!
  • vcortis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vcortis polycounter lvl 9
    Great stuff. Was a big fan of WAR and always enjoyed the art in it. My only complaints would be like others have said, need to see some flats and wire frames. Really impressive on whole though, definitely an inspiration to me.

I gotta say if people like you are looking for work I'm screwed when I graduate in a month!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Simply insane work dude - I'm only begging for wireframes and texture flats for selfish reasons, but they will probably be helpful beyond appeasing me!

Other than that, ts damn clear to me you know what your doing! Fine fine stuff man!
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    your shit is wick.