Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Texture Look

I'm doing an exercise in trying to get some textures that appear hand painted. I started with a photograph, mixed in a few filters, and painted over.

At the moment they still need some cleaning up, but the basic feel is there.

Feedback would be great, thanks!

texturesgroupedcopy.jpg

Replies

• fmnoor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fmnoor polycounter lvl 17
    Those don't look handpainted - especially the cloth. They look like you ran them through filters. Not sure about the bark, it just doesn't look like bark.

Why not try a handpainted texture from scratch? It'll take time, but it'll look more convincing!
  • el Grune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the whole Idea of handpainted textures is not to use photos

use the paint brush tool from any programm pick colors and paint save filters for later
    ( IF??? you want painted texture look )
  • Wayfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That probably won't do the job.
    You may need to paint heavily over your photos and avoid filters: If you use filters, must be very subtle, otherwise people recognize them quick.
    You may also try to paint the texs 100% without photos.
    Will take longer, but results may pay off.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    If you're going to try to turn a photo into a handpainted texture, you're going to need to paint over it a lot more and use filteres a lot less.

And know what you're painting. Pay close attention to edges!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=51913
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    el Grune wrote: »
    the whole Idea of handpainted textures is not to use photos

Don't agree with this quote. I think you'd probably find photos were used plenty in say, tf2 and borderlands. just much more subtly and with a lot more thought and alteration.
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    In my personal opinion, I love using photography for the handpainted texture look - but the photographs would be used as masks and/or brushes. Not to be used for slapping on the texture and calling it done (not saying you did that here).

As for these specific pieces you've showed, the rock looks most convincingly handpainted to me. The rest, as others have commented, look like they've been put through filters of varying degrees.
  • -ST-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for the comments!
    Are these looking better?

texturesgrouped2.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    not really. if you are going to practice texture painting, have a test model to do it on.
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    The metal is looking significantly more hand painted. The rock is almost looking like a hand painted spec map now though.

One of the other tricks to getting a hand painted result is to vary your colors. Currently your painting work is very monochromatic. Try pushing your highlights a little warmer, or adding in some varying colors--just slightly--to give the surface more 'life'.
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the first rock texture looks the most 'hand painted.' The others look a little overworked.

Could use a little more color... the metal especially. Seems a bit too black and white. The key to successful surface recreation is the colors!

Are you going for a painterly look? Or are you just trying to paint a texture from scratch?
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I made you a quickie video.. just showing how you can make a surface with varied hues, without getting too crazy:

COLOR
  • Kylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kylen null
    Hey Jon, awesome video. Thanks for taking the time to make it. I enjoyed watching your approach to mixing colors for a solid neutral base. Very helpful for someone like myself who is interested in learning digital painting techniques.

You had me laughing when you said, "just barf a bunch of blue down" hahah.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    to the OP: are you actually looking at some handpainted textures for reference? or just blindly trying things and hoping something comes out of it?

you should know yourself if something looks better or worse, compared to what you're aiming for. that is, unless you don't know what you're aiming for..
  • Carbon14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carbon14 polycounter lvl 10
    @ Rush, That looked like an awfully large amount of effort for results that would be barely noticeable from using a few render/clouds with adjusted hues and some different render modes to be honest?

Aside from that, varied hues and avoiding monochrome is pretty important. I would honestly get a tablet, bind the color picker to the main button and get painting. I don't think you will ever get satisfactory results from filters, and I doubt you will ever find one filter combo to cover every texture. Materials all look different and the painting of them needs to be approached differently. No silver bullet to be had here.
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Kylen,

Carbon, yeah it could easily be done with some clouds. I suppose what he would have been missing out on there is being shown why it works. By me going in and doing it manually, he can see the color changes and understand why.

Through painting it out, you can also get any sort of blending effect you want, which is not possible through automated purposes. I could have pushed this in any number of directions...

--edit--

Not to mention, this is only an example, and only a flat, generalized surface. If you were to hop into a texture and paint with more purpose, the painting techniques I showed still hold up.
  • -ST-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jon Rush wrote: »
    I made you a quickie video.. just showing how you can make a surface with varied hues, without getting too crazy:

COLOR

Awesome, thanks for taking the time to do that! Very helpful. Those subtle color variations help out a lot.
    rooster wrote: »
    to the OP: are you actually looking at some handpainted textures for reference? or just blindly trying things and hoping something comes out of it?

you should know yourself if something looks better or worse, compared to what you're aiming for. that is, unless you don't know what you're aiming for..

I'm just experimenting with different ways to achieve the hand painted look and requesting some input along the way.

I have many references to work off of but have had trouble finding a nice collection of hand painted textures. Search results have uncovered a few examples, but not a whole lot from what I've found.

Does anyone know where I could find some quality hand painted texture work?
  • OBlastradiusO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OBlastradiusO polycounter lvl 11
    The first picture of the rocks look hand painted. The second one however look like you went crazy with the highpass filter. But keep it up anyways! Awesome video BTW Jon. The color build up process really was a good learn.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    ok, did this super fast, because I had company coming, to show you what you can do quickly with custom brushes. Again, all hand painted in five minutes, no overlays, blah blah blah

handpainted01.gif

In short, using masks (selections), switching between a bunch of wacky brushes and black or white, quickly roughed out the riveted panel concept. Then tossed a gradient map on it for color. The big idea was never to care, but to say "that looks neat" and move on quickly.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    cholden wrote: »
    The big idea was never to care, but to say "that looks neat" and move on quickly.

This is VERY important. Just thought id let you know XD
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I feel like you're thinking about this the wrong way. "Hand painted" is too broad a category to try and shoot for, and really isn't very specific. Hand painted could mean a lot of different things.

Do you mean that you simply want your textures to be created BY having painted them by hand? Do you mean that you want your textures to look as if they were created using real-life mediums? Any one inparticular? Different mediums will require different techniques. Do you just want them to look like...they aren't from photographs, period?

Because, depending, you're going to be going about it an entirely different way. You can do hand painted textures that look better and more realistic than some photosource textures. You can also do some partial photosource textures that look more like they were done with watercolor, as an example.

What exactly are you looking for?

Cholden has a good example of a texture that simply does it's job, without looking like a photograph. If that's what you're going for - keeping it simple is a good way to go.
  • Cacophony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey man, heres an example i found from a little while back, hope the direction in this guy's work can help you out in some way.

http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=64346
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great example Chris! I agree with Mr. sahib about that point being very important. I actually STILL struggle with that to this day... always want to keep going.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    well hey there everyone
    @ rush great color tutorial I loved it and learned a thing or two. and here I thought I knew everything. Well now I do lol.
    anyways since this thread seems to be devoted to hand painting textures how would one go about trying to make the textures look literally painted such as oil paints. I have a feeling going crazy with the smudge tool won't do it. I messed around with oil paints...I just can't think of what the brush properties would look like for an oil paint brush inside of photoshop. I mean I'm sure theres a zillion ways to do it. I was just wondering what your process might be.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To emulate oil pants you're going to want to just pick your colours from the colour palette and canvas and just paint everything stroke by stroke.
    It's quite simple really, think about what you want to do. You want to make it look like someone actually painted that stroke by stroke? Well... paint it, stroke by stroke!

Most of all though, just practice painting. There aren't a great many shortcuts to arrive at your intended result, and the ones that are there only work to support someone who knows the basics of painting.

Using a brush like Jon Rush (ANCIENT PIG. Don't be fooled by his namechange!) helps as well. Play around with your brushes and try to get something that feels expressive to you, something that you feel works for making what you want.

Rooster: I wouldn't really call those textures handpainted either, but I do agree that overlays can be helpful, despite the style. I haven't used them in a while in my handpainted textures, but that's because it just wouldn't fit the style. If they do, then use them!
    That being said, you might find yourself fighting them, beating them into submission if you're going for a certain paintery style...
  • ArcticNova83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden wrote: »
    ok, did this super fast, because I had company coming, to show you what you can do quickly with custom brushes. Again, all hand painted in five minutes, no overlays, blah blah blah

What kind of brushes did you use for that, specifically? Were they all preset in Photoshop?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    All custom. A few of those came from the Eat3d texturing DVD.

I made another one since the last one so fun. This one's a little dirty, but me spending time polishing it wasn't the point.

brick-1.gif

Again, all done with black and white brushes, then tossed on a gradient map and finally some green and red with a strong texture brush to get some extra color in the final.